Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Well, the Titans only move to the outside, and the TLT 5 appears to be unadjustable. I'd tried foam on the liners and it doesn't seem to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    I'd tried foam on the liners and it doesn't seem to do the trick.
    Adding sufficient foam can definitely center the lower leg shaft within the shell's upper cuff. The only drawback is that discomfort can arise if you're starting off with a really extreme mismatch between the angle of your lower leg shaft vs the boot cuff.
    But the other possibility is that your stance misalignment is arising from some factor other than centering of your lower leg shaft within the shell's upper cuff.

Christopher... the TLT5 can offer so high performances at such a light weight exactly for the way it's built... and this technology doesn't alow the use of a canting, the change of the cuff alignement will not make the system works.
    So I'm sorry if this is a problem for you but surely you can understand why it is like it is.

The use of a canting in touring boots, even on the more traditional, is always complicated. A change in the alignment will always give problems on the ski walk mechanism, especially on its durability if the boots are walking a lot.
    The use of a full canting system, on both internal and external similar to the alpine boots will also add at least 100gr per boot and this will be un acceptable by 99% of Dynafit audience.

Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    I know this is the bottom line. My frustration stems mostly from the fact that Dynafit boots are functionally superior to other products--particularly the TLT5 performance, which felt much, much stiffer than any AT boot of a similar weight, but which is essentially as good for climbing as AT race boots--and yet, due to what seems to me and apparently to others posting on this forum an awkward and unadjustable outward cuff alignment, they will never be good ski boots for my feet/legs.

A side by side comparison of all the boots in my closet--Titan, Scarpa T-Race, old Technica Icon XT, Nordica Dobermann--reveals that both pair of alpine boots do not appear obviously bowlegged, while the scarpas and t-races do. The T-race worked extremely well for me; why doesn't the Titan?

if you have canting problem, don,t use the canting,
    go to a good bootfiter, he will make you a good sole >> stabilisation of the heel

the position of the heel change the position of the leg >> no canting PB

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmassoud View Post
    if you have canting problem, don,t use the canting,
    go to a good bootfiter, he will make you a good sole >> stabilisation of the heel

the position of the heel change the position of the leg >> no canting PB
    yep - works for me at least

Tried on the 28.5 the other day, amazing boot. Skied the Performance without the tongue in and thought it was surprisingly stiff.

I didn't get a chance to try the 28, so looking for a little sizing guidance. My foot is 270mm, is there a recommended size for that length? Frederico?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Tried on the 28.5 the other day, amazing boot. Skied the Performance without the tongue in and thought it was surprisingly stiff.

I didn't get a chance to try the 28, so looking for a little sizing guidance. My foot is 270mm, is there a recommended size for that length? Frederico?

Thanks
    p,

go read back in this thread; Fredrico goes into detail about the differences between the liners in the half sizes. Summary: not much difference between whole sizes and half sizes for the Performance, shells are identical.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    p,

go read back in this thread; Fredrico goes into detail about the differences between the liners in the half sizes. Summary: not much difference between whole sizes and half sizes for the Performance, shells are identical.
    Yeah I remember reading that, was just thinking there might be a chart with recommended sizing for a given foot length. Looked on the website and didn't see anything. The 28.5 fit pretty well, but I want to make sure I'm covering all the bases before throwing down.

Since the only difference is the last on which the liner is initially formed, once you cook them I expect the difference would be negligible... while such a difference might matter for a liner you can't bake, it doesn't seem as important if you're going to thermo and fit them properly... somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

If you measured your feet correctly and they are 270mm then your boot size should be 27 or 27,5 ... The Mondo Point sizing refers to the lenght in cm of the feet.
    Of course width, volume etc. are other variables which might force you to go on a bigger size.
    As I wrote already the main thing is to chose the right shell, the half size difference (only given by the liner) is something that can be easily fixed with thermo forming, custom footbeds and so on.
    Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post

Thanks

Thanks Frederico. I measured at home, maybe I should try a shop gauge to make sure I'm getting it right.

Has anyone used the Dynafit Guide leash with these boots? Where do you attach the leash to the boot?

skiing out in slc now on the performances and stokes 182,

heel pocket is finally starting to become tolerable, liner sock and blue superfoot for me is looking tolerable.

i have been not using the tongue, they are in my pack, but i was skiing south facing chop and plowing through cut up wet snow, did not feel i needed the tongue.

the boot is great, as are the stokes, the stoke seems to want to make larger radius turns, and is definitely not a mansulu. it is a much more solid and stiffer ski, which is a good thing. i could see the stoke not being happy in eastern tight trees with tougher snow conditions.

the buckle on the outside lower of the boot is a problem, the spring the is in there is flimsy at best, and pops out all the time, also, stepping into snow curbside or skiing often makes the buckle unlatch. i can see this being changed for later iterations of the boot. they are my only boot for this 2 weeks of skiing, i may modify them, putting a totally different lower buckle on, or skiing them and sending them in at the end of the season.

i think i am also going to need a vbl toecap type thing for cold as hell days, some adventure medical bivy material in between the shell and liner may help retain heat. not a big issue, and only for low single digit/below 0 days.

overall, a great boot, and a good setup paired with the stoke. i also ski a baker superlight and it's a great long day, eastern mountaineering type setup. if the boots can hold up to seasons of use, they are the the only boot i'll realistically ever need.

I'm thinking hard about getting a pair. I have 27.5 Titans that fit well with intuitions, but are way to tight with the TFX liner even after baking. Any guesses as to weather I would be a 27 or 28 shell in the TLT 5? I found a place to try on the 27's (but not 28's) and it is a long drive.

I am a 26.0 in the Zzero 4C and Titan, but I needed alot of bootfitting for both length and forefoot width. Shell fit indicated I should go with the 27.0 TLT5, both because shell punching is more complicated with the TLT5 and because the 27.0 TLT5 is closer in BSL to the 26 in the other boots, for which the bindings on my skis are mounted. I will write more about if this was the right decision after I get a little time in my TLT5s.

I'm a 26.0 in Scarpa, a 26.5 in Garmont an Dynafit, but a 27.5 in the TLT5... just waiting for the Performance to become available...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'm thinking hard about getting a pair. I have 27.5 Titans that fit well with intuitions, but are way to tight with the TFX liner even after baking. Any guesses as to weather I would be a 27 or 28 shell in the TLT 5? I found a place to try on the 27's (but not 28's) and it is a long drive.
    FWIW, I am a 27 titan (with the stock liner my feet are JAMMED, intuition on the way) and the 28 tlt5 fit my foot well for its intended purpose (touring/ski mountaineering) I have a finger and a half or so shell fit in a 28, and like .5 cm in the 27. I usually wear a size 11 street shoe, and a size 11.5 running shoe. ~45 EURO sizing.

I ended up with some funding issues this time around, and cancelled my order for the performance, and am just using the titans for now. Thinking hard about the tlt5. Just picked up a second job, so it will come into fruition later this spring or next fall.

Any advice on shell fitting? How much space are you getting behind the heel without the liner? How much side to side room?

7 hrs in the boots today, can drive standard, walk, hitch, ski all day. feet are sore a bit, but i've been skiing 3/5/7k for over a week

no tongue needed, driving stokes in crust, wet mank, chop, 40 deg chalk. easier not to use the tongue

shell fit length is normal, the width of the boot in the heel and arch has been the issue for me.

Anyone know where I can try some on in southern California or the Bay Area (the two places I'll be the next couple weeks)? The dynafit site didn't show anything, but I figure there must be something.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    shell fit length is normal, the width of the boot in the heel and arch has been the issue for me.
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'll need a 28. Length is never an issue for me (my foot is almost a rectangle), but my foot is fairly wide along the arch. Thanks for the input folks.

Quote Originally Posted by dauwhe View Post
    Has anyone used the Dynafit Guide leash with these boots? Where do you attach the leash to the boot?
    For my DyNA I just attached a loop to the buckle bail for use as an attachment point.
    Note that if you use a zip/cable tie, then use a little piece of duct tap to jam up the zip/cable tie, otherwise the diameter of the loop will keep getting smaller.

The $200 question: is the Performance's carbon cuff noticeably worth the extra dough? Anybody skied both and can comment?

Just tried on my 27.0s. Before cooking, the heel pocket was intolerably tight if I had the foot bed from my Zzeros in there. Without the footbed, it was tight by tolerable thrrough out the foot. Should I cook and mould with or without footbeds? The bootlet that comes with the boots says many people go without footbeds because of the anotomical fit of the shell. I will go to an experienced bootfitter and get his advice too. BTW, Cosmo in Truckee says he has worked with a number of the Dyna/TLT5 boots, so that is another reason to go to him.

I shell fit for a 27.0/27.5, and I went with the 27.0 because I thought it would have more life after cooking as the liner wouldn't come as compressed as that of the 27.5. But it does make it harded to get a feel for the evetual fit of the liners post molding. Shell fit is 1.5 fingers behind my heel.

With the tongue, the performances seemed way stiffer in terms of foward lean than my Zzeros. But that was before molding, and I will have to see how tight I can tolerate having the cuff buckled. Are people using the stock velcro power straps or upgrading to booster straps for these boots?

Also, Fredrico, do you have any more experience or second hand knowledge on punching the proto bellows for width with out compromising its integrity or funtionality? Felt that area from the inside of the shell and it feels complicated. FYI I couldn't feel the proto belows flex at all standing in the boots on the carpet.