Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by midwest_skier View Post
    So I skied my pair yesterday. There were a few firsts for me of which I feel the boots made possible. First time I passed people on the skin track and first time I lapped people. These boots are freaking amazing. The transition to from walk to ski is quick. I skied six runs of medium weight knee deep snow and for the first five I forgot to put the tongue back in. This whole time I was thinking, damn these ski great. Then for the sixth run I remembered the tongue and they raged. A note of interest is that the bellow in the back of the liner is very useful and important.

Seriously, buy this boot.
    If I missed an earlier comment I apologize, but could you tell us what skis you used and how big you are.

Quote Originally Posted by agent j View Post
    If I missed an earlier comment I apologize, but could you tell us what skis you used and how big you are.
    No, my bad. 170 lbs nekkid (stop imagining), 185 Kilowatts.

Frederico, I understand the plastic used in these boots is some new space age wonder,much different then pbex. If my shop needs to heat the boot to fit my feet, what temperature should they use? I don't want them melting or burning the boot?

Midwest- What boots are you used to, before getting these (for stiffness comparison)?

Quote Originally Posted by midwest_skier View Post
    170 lbs nekkid (stop imagining)
    Hahaha! This was never a concern, trust me!

When I can afford to . . . btw, this boot had me at hello!

Great to hear all the on-snow reviews and accolades. Keep them coming!
    The Passion is in the Risk

skied the carbon tlt's today

without tongue, felt like a megaride

there is a bunch hype like most things in life,

these are a great boot for sure.

they will not fit all feet. for sure.

good stuff

"it's not what your feet are in, it's what's under your feet", ..(me, talking about gear vs snow)

Got my carbon TLT5 a couple days ago - great stiffness:weight ratio but they are not nearly as stiff as my Viruses. Not even close... so please cool the "replacement for a 150 flex plug boot" train.

I have them on my desk and can't keep my eyes off them though... pure sexy.

Got mine today. The fit is perfect for me, so they feel plenty stiff - but hard to tell in the living room. Hope to be able to ski them soon....

So I have some more time in my TLT5 Performances. Very pleased with them!! I agree with byates1 that as far as fit they are like all boots, they're not for everyone, but for me the fit is such a huge factor. I normally swim in most AT boots but the TLT is snug and low volume. The heel hold is awesome as I started with a big blister from prior tours in my Titans and I didn't feel a thing on the up or down. Once again walk mode is amazing and feel like as my fitness increases the ground you cover with the increase in stride as well as the weight savings is incredible.

The down is very impressive. I weigh about 205 lbs. and was skiing my 181 coomback yesterday in mostly pow with some weird variable crap towards the bottom and these things ski great. I'll compare them to my Titan and megaride. They are not the Titan. I agree with Fredrico its not fair to compare a 9 lb alpine resort boot that has a walk mode with a true touring boot. So for all of you out there looking for that one boot to use at the resort and huck cliffs and do some touring this is not your boot. But in comparing it to what I consider boots that you are going to do significant touring and covering ground its amazing. The balance of incredible uphill and downhill performance is way better than my megaride. For everyone that has been wondering about flex I always felt in my megaride the boot not being very stiff fore and aft as well as laterally that as I flexed it, it would distort the plastic enough to cause gaps in the fit. I felt like it was collapsing. The TLT has none of that!! It is plenty stout feeling. The one thing I will throw in is that the you feel the Actiflex moving when skiing so it does lose some of that precision that some people might not like. It almost makes the boot feel softer than it is with that little bit of give, mostly cause the rest of the boot is so stiff. Once I got used to it it feels like a little shock absorber.

The awesome thing heading into this season is there are so many option for us in the boot world in terms of fit, weight and performance. The thing again for me is the balance of all these in this boot is like nothing I have ever tried. I said it in an earlier post with dynafits binding that they are amazing going up and down and thats a hard combo to find and they nailed again with this boot!!!!!

I'm reviewing back thru all 15 pages of this thread but wondered if folks can comment on the fit of the TLT Performance compared to Zzero especially now more folks are getting them on their feet on snow.
    Same/similar last?? Or different and in what way??
    I have opportunity to try Zzero locally but would need to special order TLT's.

Thanks.

dcpnz, I can't compare the TLT 5 with the Zzero but I can compare it with the ZZeus and for me there is more room in the forefoot with the TLT 5 than with the ZZeus.

A lot of people thought they might have to go bigger with the TLT 5 but for my foot I could have gone a half size smaller i.e. same boot shell size but the even sized liner. The fit is still very good so I think the best bet is to order the same size you would normally order with a Zzero, ZZeus/Titan if you're unable to try them on before hand, YMMV.

I find that the TLT 5 has a roomy toe box, but there is less overall volume in the rest of the boot. For example, there is less room over the top of the instep, and the overall width of the boot (not counting the toes) is narrower. The heel pocket is perhaps the most clamped-in of any AT boot I've ever tried on. (not in a bad way.) It manages to keep my heel locked down, without being uncomfortable. With regard to the toes, there's lots of room up front. I'd say that there's more room than there was in my Titans initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I find that the TLT 5 has a roomy toe box, but there is less overall volume in the rest of the boot. For example, there is less room over the top of the instep, and the overall width of the boot (not counting the toes) is narrower. The heel pocket is perhaps the most clamped-in of any AT boot I've ever tried on. (not in a bad way.) It manages to keep my heel locked down, without being uncomfortable. With regard to the toes, there's lots of room up front. I'd say that there's more room than there was in my Titans initially.
    Agreed. 29.5 Titan had my toes pretty smushed on the sides and some pressure on the inner front area of the heel, TLT5P had perfect length even though I went from a 335 to a 317bsl and great (and comfortable) heel cup retention once I got it in there. Sadly the rest of the boot had much too little volume for my big ass foot and I didn't even try and really buckle it down. Hopefully with a liner fitting and some boot work I could fit in one but it's hard to convince the boss to do work on a pair of demos; I'll probably end up in 30's. It's worth noting however that I tried on the TLT5's with footbeds in, which the manual only suggested for people with low-mid volume feet - I'm unsure if they're referring to the actual footbed or the extra volume boosters that come with the boots. That said, I switched out the liners in a pair of 30.0 ZZeus' for a 29.0 basic Intuition out of a Full-Tilt and it made a world of difference
    Last edited by Prodigy; 11-12-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I'm reviewing back thru all 15 pages of this thread but wondered if folks can comment on the fit of the TLT Performance compared to Zzero especially now more folks are getting them on their feet on snow.
    Same/similar last?? Or different and in what way??
    I have opportunity to try Zzero locally but would need to special order TLT's.

Thanks.
    The tlt5 is a lot slimmer at the calves than then zzero. I would think the zzero has a bigger toe box - but I am comparing well used to not used....

TLT5 Performance

I now have three days in the TLT5 performance- (160lbs, size 27). The tour mode is incredible- even more so with the tongue removed. Without the tongue, there is nearly no resistance and the flex in the cuff is akin to hiking boots.

On the down they ski very well for an AT boot- I found them to be more than stiff enough to ski a BD verdict through chop, and easily push BD havocs around.

The fit is not like other dynafit boots that I have tried on (zzero, titan). The heel cup is tight, as is the fit around the mid foot. Toe box is roomy, but not overly so. My only complaint is the midfoot- which is a bit to tight and is going to need some work- but this is already softening up and getting better.

If you need a pair of size 28's in the performance I have a pair (I ordered the 27 and 28 cause I could not find anyone that had any to try on). I was going to send em back on Monday, but I would be just as happy sending them to someone else. Paid 999.95- selling for the same + shipping costs via USPS (something around $20).

I did some extensive on the carpet testing of the Performance model last night, a few comments and questions..... unbelievably light with insane touring range of motion. The liner does allow great touring mode, but is quite thin and sort of wimpy. Doesnt seem like it would last long. I really couldn't notice much (if any) increased stiffness with the tongue in, anyone else noticed that? they are impressively stiff for how light they are, even without the tongue. I think the upper cuff buckle is a bit of a pain in the ass. I have a habit of overbuckling, and that thing can be really hard to unbuckle. Maybe its partially an issue of getting your leg into the proper forward lean position to take pressure off that buckle (which is also the forward lean lock), but once I really struggled to get the buckle undone. I've also thought the toe buckle on 4 buckle boots was worthless, but I'm worried that these might need one more buckle. You can't really tighten the forefoot much at all. Its a whole lot of boot for the weight, I really just wish I could demo them (which I imagine will never happen for a $1000 boot in high demand)

New forum member here. I have had a pair of TLT 5 Performance on order for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know the ETA of these guys?

I'm a longtime telemark/backcountry skier who has very little time on alpine gear because it always seemed too restrictive/bulky/heavy. I'm too stoked for words!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I did some extensive on the carpet testing of the Performance model last night, a few comments and questions..... unbelievably light with insane touring range of motion. The liner does allow great touring mode, but is quite thin and sort of wimpy. Doesnt seem like it would last long. I really couldn't notice much (if any) increased stiffness with the tongue in, anyone else noticed that? they are impressively stiff for how light they are, even without the tongue. I think the upper cuff buckle is a bit of a pain in the ass. I have a habit of overbuckling, and that thing can be really hard to unbuckle. Maybe its partially an issue of getting your leg into the proper forward lean position to take pressure off that buckle (which is also the forward lean lock), but once I really struggled to get the buckle undone. I've also thought the toe buckle on 4 buckle boots was worthless, but I'm worried that these might need one more buckle. You can't really tighten the forefoot much at all. Its a whole lot of boot for the weight, I really just wish I could demo them (which I imagine will never happen for a $1000 boot in high demand)
    The TF-X liner in the Mountain version has a PU patch melted into the liner around the ankles to help with trouble spots. I haven't heard of any big issues from Fede regarding the liner's durability, however, liner abrasion is to be expected under normal wear and tear, the boots should come with some patches that can be applied. It's a relatively low volume last to begin with and it's as close to anatomical I've seen but you can add in the footbed and the additional volume booster to bring down the volume quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AweShuksan View Post
    New forum member here. I have had a pair of TLT 5 Performance on order for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know the ETA of these guys?

I'm a longtime telemark/backcountry skier who has very little time on alpine gear because it always seemed too restrictive/bulky/heavy. I'm too stoked for words!
    Mid December is the ETA from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAlltheTime View Post
    Frederico, I understand the plastic used in these boots is some new space age wonder,much different then pbex. If my shop needs to heat the boot to fit my feet, what temperature should they use? I don't want them melting or burning the boot?
    Grilamid is a essentially a nylon polymer, that as far as I know has seen the most use in high end frames for glasses. Word from the reps is that its pretty close to PU in terms of shapeability(sp?), i.e. it doesn't need to sit in a press for 12 hours to set. Best method is boiling the boot to get even heating, there have been problems with heat guns either a) melting/burning the boot or b) heating too small of an area and punching out too far, setting up weird contractions as it cools, warping the boot, etc.

-Liners are not extremely durable but fits great and are superlight. That was the main target. I would say they last at least 120-150.000 vertical meters climb which is not bad. they will get some abrasion on the collar close to the point where the carbon fiber cuff is linked with the plastic laps. It will not be nice to see but can be easily fixed with duct tape or with the patches included in box.
    -Strange you didn't felt the tongue difference because it's huge... of course carpet testing in shop with extremely high temperature inside it's not the best... consder that those boots, especially the tongue, on low temperature will become much much much stiffer.
    - The cuff buckle will become easier to open close after a few times of use, it will get a little play that will make it smooth operating.
    - This boots doesn't needs more buckle, it's not a freeride product, it's the lightest high performance ski mountaineering boot on the market by far... that's what it is, not a titan or a factor.
    Ciao

Fede

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post

Federico or anyone else,
    Had some good info on TF vs TF-X liners back a couple of pages (post #312) but I wonder if you can clarify Dynafits take on half sizes.
    27.0 and 27.5 same shell right??
    How about liners? Length, thickness etc?

I so want this boot to fit but 27.0 feeling a bit too short and 28.0 too big - not found a 27.5 to try yet.

Federico or anyone else,
    Had some good info on TF vs TF-X liners back a couple of pages (post #312) but I wonder if you can clarify Dynafits take on half sizes.

I so want this boot to fit but 27.0 feeling a bit too short and 28.0 too big - not found a 27.5 to try yet.
    go back and read the whole thread. Fredrico has already talked about this in detail.

I wrote a very detailed post about this issue, have a look back.
    Ciao

Federico or anyone else,

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    go back and read the whole thread. Fredrico has already talked about this in detail.
    Ok my apologies.
    Having now read this thing in its entirety for the second time I can confirm this info is indeed on page 9 post #213!! This remains the only place I see any appreciable discussion of half sizes of liners.

I guess I had inexplicably overlooked this the first time around and instead seen the followup that dealt directly with the Zzeus TF-X liner half sizes.

Some other useful posts by Federico which others may find useful:
    #50 - last dimensions
    #134 - thermofitting
    #165 - TF vs TF-X
    # 258 - Zzeus TF-X and half sizes
    #312 - TF vs TF-X

I'd greatly appreciate any recent on snow reviews. Stoked on the possibilities.