Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynafit TLT 5 Boot

You could always buy a used Zzero 4C that all the new TLT5 owners will be unloading, as it has the same last as the Titan/TLT5, and (according to all reports) skis as well as or better than the TLT5 Performance. That way you would save much of the cash you will need to put down on the Carbon Titan, which I heard from reliable sources will be available late this season. I also heard Dynafit has developed a proprietery carbon fiber for the lower shell that can be punched by expert bootfitters. The cuff is made of the same carbon material as on the TLT5 Performance so they can save some money. It is expected to retail for $1999US, depending of course on the Euro/$ exchange rate. Testers who have skied the prototype report it stiffer than and skis better than the Titan but has the ankle articulation of a TLT5. It weighs as much as the Zzero 4C, roughly 7lbs and change for the 26.0. You will have to ask Fredrico about the liner options it will come with.

Quote Originally Posted by mday View Post
    I'll offer up my translation, since I can almost comprehend my own sentence.

A future carbon Super Titan seems to be an unconfirmed rumor. Without forcing anyone to talk about products they aren't allowed to talk about, are there any hints as to whether interesting new boots might be released mid-season this year, or will we have to wait until next season for new developments?

I'm torn between getting a Titan now, and putting up with the extra weight, or trying to get my hands on a TLT5 Performance this year even though these probably aren't the smartest choice for me. I'd hate to buy either of these only to have a lighter Titan-esque model come out late this year.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    It is expected to retail for $1999US, depending of course on the Euro/$ exchange rate..

I'll take the snowmobile. Thanks.

If true, I don't know which is more amazing: The incredible potential or the incredible price! One boot to rule them all...

Unfortunately, my foot is too large to find a TLT 5 Mountain in my size to try on, and I haven't even seen a TLT 5 Performance. One thing I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is just how stiff are these boots? Is all the hype just based on how stiff they are relative to their weight and other race-style boots, or can these boots really hold their own compared to some of the other lighter weight, but skiing-oriented boots out there?

Can anyone who's tried these on shed some light? How do the Mountains and Performances compare to a Zzero, Radium, Spirit 3/4, or especially the Maestrale? For those of us who may have to order sight unseen, it's hard to wade through the hype and know what you're buying...

I tried a Mountain in a shell size too small for me as that is all they had. I got the idea though. As stock comes in, I will try it in my size as well as the Performance version. It seemed like quite a firm flex though. Maybe almost as much as my ZZero C4, but much lighter and smaller with an amazing walk mode. The Radium, which I also own is much stiffer, but also much heavier. I don't have much experience with the Spirit 3/4 as they don't fit my foot so well. I did just try on the Maestrale and found it fit a bit lower volume than the old 3/4. It was moderately stiff and quite light with a good walk mode, better then the Spirit 4 to my memory, though I didn't find that it really offered anything revolutionary over boots of the past few years.

So I did a quick tour today on the TLT 5 performance. All I have to say is WOW!!! I have always said about dynafit bindings that they are as good down as they are going up. Thats exactly what this boot does. Amazing!!!!!

I have placed an order for the tlt5 peformance - but is not eager to move the bindings from their zzero 4c position: after all - I love the zzero 4c. Saw that Greg Hill has/had a tlt5 mountain/zzero 4c combo. Maybe that is the best combo? I am currently skiing 187 mustagh ata sl, zzero 4cs - and they are great for ski-oriented touring. The skis are a little long and the boots a little too limiting for mountaineering-focused ski touring... Thinking that maybe I should buy tlt5 mountain and some short broad peak skis in addition to the mustagh ata sls....
    ( I guess I cannot quite get myself to believe that a 2 buckle boot with 15 degree forward angle and flex toe skis as well as the zzero 4c... )
    Last edited by hilmersen; 11-07-2010 at 05:35 AM.

@WETDOG
    I'm looking for a replacement/compliment to my Radiums which ski well, but IMHO tour like shit - the cuff motion just seems too limiting. What was your feeling of how the Maestrale compares to the Radium flex? I'm sure they tour WAY better, but wondering how much of a step down in performance I'll be taking. THX

Hey Hilmersen, I think Gillesleskieur, who has been skiing in the TLT 5 performance for a bit now and also has the Zzero 4 carbons said he may get rid of the Zzeros. You should ask him as he could give you great info specific to your question. From my very limited time in mine so far I can say I think my bigger boots will gather dust this season. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will disagree but I feel the TLT 5 performance is in the "range" of downhill performance of all but the biggest and burliest AT boots with such a huge advantage on the up.
    Last edited by snoop; 11-07-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add something

Snoop: I saw that. Still not quite convinced...but I guess I will have to try the performance anyhow - if I buy the mountain, I'll just wonder if I should have bought the performance....
    Is the mountain better than the performance in anything - climbing maybe (i.e. rocks or ice)?

Quote Originally Posted by hilmersen View Post
    Snoop: I saw that. Still not quite convinced...but I guess I will have to try the performance anyhow - if I buy the mountain, I'll just wonder if I should have bought the performance....
    Is the mountain better than the performance in anything - climbing maybe (i.e. rocks or ice)?
    yes in one thing: Price... that s about it IMHO

Good to hear.
    Have you tried it on ice/windpack yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ski2befree View Post
    @WETDOG
    I'm looking for a replacement/compliment to my Radiums which ski well, but IMHO tour like shit - the cuff motion just seems too limiting. What was your feeling of how the Maestrale compares to the Radium flex? I'm sure they tour WAY better, but wondering how much of a step down in performance I'll be taking. THX
    The Maestrale was a softer flexing boot than the Radium, but probably not that much of a step down. The walk mode was significantly better. As you mention, the Radiums don't have the best tour mode. For some odd reason, I am quite attached to my Radiums, willing to put up with a little less performance on the up for some pretty impressive performance on the down. The Maestrale was lighter as well. It probably wouldn't have the downhill performance of the Radium, but would be a better balanced all around boot.

Quote Originally Posted by hilmersen View Post
    Good to hear.
    Have you tried it on ice/windpack yet?
    I skied them on hard packed snow with the Hardsides and it performed well enough for me. i mean as good as my (now old....) zzeroc4 would have (with a tornado thong to harden them.) keep in mind i m pretty light at 60kg.

Quote Originally Posted by gillesleskieur View Post
    I skied them on hard packed snow with the Hardsides and it performed well enough for me. i mean as good as my (now old....) zzeroc4 would have (with a tornado thong to harden them.) keep in mind i m pretty light at 60kg.
    I am about 50% heavier than you, but the zzero4 is stiff enough - even with the original thong. (I've got last years thong, which seems softer than the older ones - got new shells after a sole break on my first pair. )
    I am not quite sure how the weight might affect skiing. The toe might flex more - and I might be able to flex the whole boot more...but that would be the same with the zzero 4c.
    BTW: I enjoyed the video on your site.

(with a tornado thong to harden them.)
    You're going to have to provide pics to explain this one.

Ciao Harpo,
    would be nice to meet the testers which skied that amazing boot, maybe we can have a look to the boots and copy some of the technologies :-) ... Unfortunately nothing similar to that will be released before 2020, we still need some time before developing a punchable carbon fiber shell ;-) ..
    Seriously I can assure you that there will be never a pre-release of any 11/12 boot and clearly nothing like what described by you.
    Anyway anything from next season will be available not before October 2011.

How's the snow situation in North america?, in the next 10 days I'll be in Vancouver, Whistler, Seattle and Colorado.

Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    You could always buy a used Zzero 4C that all the new TLT5 owners will be unloading, as it has the same last as the Titan/TLT5, and (according to all reports) skis as well as or better than the TLT5 Performance. That way you would save much of the cash you will need to put down on the Carbon Titan, which I heard from reliable sources will be available late this season. I also heard Dynafit has developed a proprietery carbon fiber for the lower shell that can be punched by expert bootfitters. The cuff is made of the same carbon material as on the TLT5 Performance so they can save some money. It is expected to retail for $1999US, depending of course on the Euro/$ exchange rate. Testers who have skied the prototype report it stiffer than and skis better than the Titan but has the ankle articulation of a TLT5. It weighs as much as the Zzero 4C, roughly 7lbs and change for the 26.0. You will have to ask Fredrico about the liner options it will come with.

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    How's the snow situation in North america?, in the next 10 days I'll be in Vancouver, Whistler, Seattle and Colorado.

Ciao
    Getting better. Good tours to be had in CO, not much on lifts.

Daft... between our group of friends and colleagues we say that using lifts is a sign of weakness ;-) ...

Quote Originally Posted by DAFTC View Post
    Getting better. Good tours to be had in CO, not much on lifts.

Just picked up a pair of the TLT 5 Performance today.

They are light, with lots of fore-aft motion in tour mode. Surprisingly stiff in downhill mode. Can't wait to use them.

I'm concerned about reports of these boots being cold due to a thinner liner. Anyone (especially those that own them or have tried them on) see any problems with going up a size in order to use a standard Intuition liner? Sounds like there's no way you could get a standard liner in a normally-sized boot...

Sounds like these boots might rely on a close fit for some of their performance. Would this be lost with sizing up and a thicker liner??

Quote Originally Posted by ski2befree View Post
    I'm concerned about reports of these boots being cold due to a thinner liner. Anyone (especially those that own them or have tried them on) see any problems with going up a size in order to use a standard Intuition liner? Sounds like there's no way you could get a standard liner in a normally-sized boot...

Sounds like these boots might rely on a close fit for some of their performance. Would this be lost with sizing up and a thicker liner??
    I think they would loose in perfo both with sizing up and changing to a standard liner (without "back bellow")
    as long as you re moving (wich you should in the BC.) n problem t all with cold.

I think they would loose in perfo both with sizing up and changing to a standard liner (without "back bellow")
    as long as you re moving (wich you should in the BC.) n problem t all with cold.
    Thanks gillesleskieur, that's helpful. I'm not so much worried about when I'm moving, but when I'm standing around in snowpits and on colder multi-day trips.

So I skied my pair yesterday. There were a few firsts for me of which I feel the boots made possible. First time I passed people on the skin track and first time I lapped people. These boots are freaking amazing. The transition to from walk to ski is quick. I skied six runs of medium weight knee deep snow and for the first five I forgot to put the tongue back in. This whole time I was thinking, damn these ski great. Then for the sixth run I remembered the tongue and they raged. A note of interest is that the bellow in the back of the liner is very useful and important.

Seriously, buy this boot.

^ Bud's on the mountain version, FWIW.