Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    27.5 bsl : 297mm

I ordered the Maestrale today because it looks highly unlikely that the TLT will be available to industry folks at a discount until March or so (went to the Dynafit clinic yesterday and they were very discouraging on this issue). I am a 27.5 Titan and the 27.5 TLT was a definite No-go for me. That being said, I suffered plenty in my Titans even after 30 or so days of skiing them so I could have sized up to a 28 in that boot as well as I was right on the border.

I'm worried about the Maestrale's stiffness and they might be up here for a REALLY smokin deal if I get them and can't live with it, but if they do work, I'll say Scarpa has been much kinder to industry folk with their EP program and even if the Dyna's do come in they are showing a price almost 2x what the Maestrale is available for.

All that being said, I sure hope to get some TLT's next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    They don't let the shops advertise... but AFAIK they can give discounts on the spot. I'm not suggesting a big round of haggling, margins on touring stuff is really low, but usually if you ask nice and don't expect much almost every shop will give you 15%. Especially if you come off nice. If you come off pushy and are obviously haggling you get nothing. I've done retail sales before, thats how it works.
    I work at a local shop here in bozeman as a retailperson. We can do discounts on some items, but certain brands/items are off limits unless we know that the buyer is a long time customer/going to spend a load of cash. I am sure it varies from shop to shop. Not sure how it works at chain stores, profit margins are likely better.

We dont sell dynafit, but I went to northern lights (a shop in bozeman that does) and asked about an intershop discount on getting that boot, and it definitely was not 15%. But I am sure it varies from shop to shop.

So for some, euroland works out well. It is for me.

Sorry for the bad info, I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    That's the Mountain (non-carbon fiber) version.
    it would help if i actually read the name of the boot

tried the mountain yesterday, and i actually think i dont want to ski in such a soft boot. i always ski in kinda soft boots, and the tlt5 was not that soft, especially regarding the incredibly low weight, feel and tourability, but still. i would like to try the performance version, could be a boot for me if its really 40% stiffer...
    the fit was nice for me, although the 27 was just a tad too short and i had a bit too much room in the toe box in the bigger size...

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    This is right! and the 4buckles "classic" ski touring boots market will always be much bigger than freeride oriented touring boots ...
    Please continue to develop this market though. The Titan is the answer to my mixed AT/Alpine dreams as a traveller who can't reasonably take 2 pairs of boots on overseas trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderkind View Post
    I ordered the Maestrale today because it looks highly unlikely that the TLT will be available to industry folks at a discount until March or so (went to the Dynafit clinic yesterday and they were very discouraging on this issue).
    So if I'm understanding that correctly (which I might not be...), at a clinic Dynafit held to encourage shop employees to sell the TLT5 Performance to their customers, shop employees were discouraged from hoping that the boot would be available at whatever the typical discount is for shop employees?

Other companies have done similar... and if the shop employees are not getting hooked up, the pros certainly are not.

Yea when I read Wunderkind's post I said to myself "Well, I think I'll just buy a Maestrale then because Scarpa is hooking up the pros right now and Scarpa makes awesome stuff too."
    Last edited by Summit; 10-30-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I ordered the Maestrale today because it looks highly unlikely that the TLT will be available to industry folks at a discount until March or so (went to the Dynafit clinic yesterday and they were very discouraging on this issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    So if I'm understanding that correctly (which I might not be...), at a clinic Dynafit held to encourage shop employees to sell the TLT5 Performance to their customers, shop employees were discouraged from hoping that the boot would be available at whatever the typical discount is for shop employees?
    Yes, amazingly Dynafit would rather provide product to retailers first, and discount boots to sales staff later. And since the boots are selling themselves with help from this thread...

If all Dynafit cared about were sales of the limited-availability TLT5 Performance and sales of their bindings (for which no competition really exists), then such an approach would make sense.
    However, if the clinic's goal was to encourage shop employees to sell Dynafit skis and other boot models too, then doesn't seem like a very effective approach.

Toby don't worry... you will soon see nice developement especially there ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Please continue to develop this market though. The Titan is the answer to my mixed AT/Alpine dreams as a traveller who can't reasonably take 2 pairs of boots on overseas trips.

Hmmm.... intriguing. How soon?
    I have Zzeros, and am reasonably happy with them, but would love a single boot for trips that involve a plane flight, and in-bounds and backcountry days. If a lighter replacement for the Titan was imminent, I'd stop looking at other new boots for this season, and maybe even stop lusting after the TLT5 Performance (which seem really cool, but would probably not be as utilitarian as a lighter Titan for me)

krbontitan... 3..2..1...

For sale: 2 pairs of brand new in box Titans size 27.5 and size 26.0, or trade for new proto carbon Supertitans in the same size.

I intend to use my Titans for alpine and AT as the conditions and my plans change. It could involve swapping sole blocks fairly regularly, a couple of times a week for a couple of months on long trips. I'm worried about stripping the plastic threads in the sole. Please consider metal threads in the soles for the screws to thread into in future aggressive crossover boots. Or am I worried about nothing?

funny enough, i would have said: please get rid of the swappable soles in the new ones and make them lighter...;-)

For sale: 2 pairs of brand new in box Titans size 27.5
    Seriously?

PM me if you do want to unload a pair of 27.5 Titan.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by gillesleskieur View Post
    funny enough, i would have said: please get rid of the swappable soles in the new ones and make them lighter...;-)
    Ditto. Add rocker in the sole, improve the walk mode, and make them lighter. 1500g, walks almost as well as the TLT5, skis almost as well as the Titan, with a carbon cuff that keeps it stiff in the spring and I'll (almost) gladly pay $1000.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Been following the thread with interest.

Apples and oranges time.

Can someone please give me an opinion on how the TLT5 Performance and Full Tilt Classic compare in the lateral stiffness dept.

Thanks.

new proto carbon Supertitans
    who the what now?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

El Chup and Summit, just playing along with byates1, wildly speculating based on Federico's comments. Although I would gladly trade up to something like carbon Titans if they were available.

Quote Originally Posted by gillesleskieur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Ditto. Add rocker in the sole, improve the walk mode, and make them lighter. 1500g, walks almost as well as the TLT5, skis almost as well as the Titan, with a carbon cuff that keeps it stiff in the spring and I'll (almost) gladly pay $1000.
    You guys already got your boot, the TLT5 Performance. I want mine now . Seriously, I'd love a Performance based on this thread's discussion, but I need alpine ability as well. And I don't want two boots, for travel purposes (both weight and bulk). Titan seems to fit my needs very well, enough to make me convert to Dynafit after 15 years without a Dyna setup. Federico's "Supertitan" will be the boot after Titan for me, provided it also has that crossover ability.

This theoretical carbon Titan sounds good!