Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Ullr bless MEC... I just pre-ordered a pair of the Performance model because I'm worried there won't be any left if I just wait till they arrive in the store on their own.

I can return them if I have buyers remorse at spending over $1000 on boot!!!

Look forward to your review verbier. I tried on the Mobe and the Maelstrale yesterday and both fit well, though i'm leaning towards the Maelstrale. The shop did not have any incarnation of the TLT 5 in stock so i'll have to wait until mid Nov. to try them on.

Quote Originally Posted by bouguer View Post
    Look forward to your review verbier. I tried on the Mobe and the Maelstrale yesterday and both fit well, though i'm leaning towards the Maelstrale. The shop did not have any incarnation of the TLT 5 in stock so i'll have to wait until mid Nov. to try them on.
    feel free to talk at length about the most minute differences between these boots... specifically the fit in the instep and heel pocket, forward flex, tour mode, and lateral/rear support

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    No need to apologize for your English, although you should apologize for writing English more clearly and correctly than most Americans, which definitely instills an inferiority complex in us...
    OMG..can it possibly be that TGR is becoming civilised???

I have big feet(30 mondo), narrow foot overall, very high instep, probably an average heel size?

I was mostly there to see if the Maelstrale fit, but tried on the Radium and the Mobe just to compare. The maelstrale has the best walk-mode of the 3 by a pretty large margin. the shop guy had never seen anyone try on the size 30 and was really impressed by how much movement the larger shell had. I could take ~90% of a full walking stride in tour mode without any resistance. Instep room was high enough that it wasn't uncomfortable, but i could definitely feel more pressure in that spot. The toe box was slightly to wide(shell fit was slightly more than a finger's width. In a packed out liner it would probably get sloppy. It held my heel well. The Mobe fit seemed similar, though i spent very little time in the boot, mostly to see the difference in tour mode, which is noticeable.

The Radium did not fit my foot at all. Instep was okay, though there was more pressure than in the Mobe/Maelstrale, but the toe box was way to narrow even for my foot. Tour mode was almost painful for my toes.

As far as flex, I am not a good judge of such things. The Mobe felt the stiffest to me in ski mode while i couldn't tell much difference between the Radium and the Maelstrale. The Maelstrale felt stiff enough to work for me though, which is all i really cared about.

Definitely take my flex opinions with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    because the Booster Strap IMVHO doesn't seem to offer that much of an edge over a traditional non-stretchy velcro strap

sorry for my english........... :-)
    Verbier,

Having skied booster strap boots and velcro strap boots I totally agree. I don't really understand the fuss about booster straps.

I'm looking forward to your comments because this year I am also on Scarpa Mobe and Dynafit TLT Performance in addition to my existing Dynafit ZZeus and Garmont Megaride. OK - no more boot testing after all this.

heheh LeeLau, seems like we ll be on the same setup then! will be interesting..

I think you have a ZZeus with a TF-X liner right? in this case as I said the only difference is the footbed... using a thicker footbed change also the anatomy of the fitting so you will feel less volume and also a little bit shorter fit on a 26 compare with 26,5. To gain in lenght a 26,5 liner and a thermoforming with a toe cap will help.
    Then if it's still not enough you can try a 27 shell and use the volume reducer (the white layer included in the box of the zzeus)to get a more precise fitting as you need. That layer must be placed under the footbed to make it even thicker.
    But... it's hard to give fitting suggestions by internet. It's quite important to see in person for a professional opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ready2tumble View Post
    So, Federico, you're saying that the liner in my 26.0 Zzeus is exactly the same as a 26.5, once I take the footbed out? I wouldn't gain any length with a 26.5 liner? Shell fit on them seems good, and I'm trying to keep things as close to my narrow foot as possible, but the liner feels really short. I haven't had them cooked yet, and hope to add some length to the liner in the process, but there doesn't seem to be much padding in there to compress in that direction. And going up to a 26.5 wouldn't help?

Quote Originally Posted by gillesleskieur View Post
    Mtnwriter

i found the zzero to be a bit soft fore aft yes so i skied them with a scarpa tornado black tong. it was better but still not as good, to me, (as far as control goes) as the TLT5 perfo.
    The one thing that worries me about the the tlt5 performance is the lack of forward angle. I ski the zzero4 with 21 degrees with vertical bindings (adds some ramping). How do you feel this affects skiing? Afraid I will not be able to drive the skis as well with less angling..... Maybe not that important if the cuff is stiffer? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thinking of using the tlt5 perf. with mustagh ata sl 187s.
    (I am 87 kilo. Good technique (x-racer) - do not ski in the back seat. I loved touring with the old tlt4...but ended up changing due to the lack of downhill performance. (Garmont G-ride and then zzero4) I tend to ski a lot of hard and bad snow when touring.)

i ski the zzero in the forward angle as well and so far haven t really noticed, or at least ad a bad feeling, wit the different angle in the perfo.

I'll just throw this PSA out there for anyone interested, telemark-pyrenees.com has the performance for $823 shipped to the US. Buying from the US is exempt from VAT(EU sales tax). That is a little cheaper than what is available here in the states.

With the amazing reviews for the TLT5, is the ZZero 4c obsolete? Is the ZZero 4C just heavier with less support? Users who have skied both seem to be saying the TLT5 is just as stiff as or stiffer than the ZZero 4C and tours better. Why would anyone buy the ZZero 4C?

heheh LeeLau, seems like we ll be on the same setup then! will be interesting..
    yah I am going to try to ski them with Stoke ski; the Megawatt ski and my old rock ski Atomic R:ex. I'm getting pretty excited about ski season

Quote Originally Posted by EvelKnievel View Post
    I'll just throw this PSA out there for anyone interested, telemark-pyrenees.com has the performance for $823 shipped to the US. Buying from the US is exempt from VAT(EU sales tax). That is a little cheaper than what is available here in the states.
    I'm betting you can get real close to that price from your local shop if you ask nice.

Quote Originally Posted by fun2ski2 View Post
    With the amazing reviews for the TLT5, is the ZZero 4c obsolete? Is the ZZero 4C just heavier with less support? Users who have skied both seem to be saying the TLT5 is just as stiff as or stiffer than the ZZero 4C and tours better. Why would anyone buy the ZZero 4C?
    The Zzero 4C is comparable in price to the TLT5 Mountain, which is not reported to be as stiff as the Z4C. The TLT5 Performace, which people are saying is as stiff as the Z4C, is $300 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I'm betting you can get real close to that price from your local shop if you ask nice.
    I wonder. It seems like dynafit is pretty rigid about MAP stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fun2ski2 View Post
    many AT people is very conservative here in europe (fritschi and silvretta are still on sale, fi ). So the TLT5 is probably too much innovative for a lot of randonneurs.... but maybe I'm wrong, let's see

Verbier61
    many AT people is very conservative here in europe (fritschi and silvretta are still on sale, fi ). So the TLT5 is probably too much innovative for a lot of randonneurs.... but maybe I'm wrong, let's see.

I think you pointed it out nicely!

This is right! and the 4buckles "classic" ski touring boots market will always be much bigger than freeride oriented touring boots or lightweight oriented boots as TLT5.
    This is becasue the majority of the ski tourers are very traditional.. and they don't have the possibility to pay a super premium price like TLT5.
    Then you know... in the next 1-2 years everything can change again ;-)

Verbier61
    many AT people is very conservative here in europe (fritschi and silvretta are still on sale, fi ). So the TLT5 is probably too much innovative for a lot of randonneurs.... but maybe I'm wrong, let's see.

I think you pointed it out nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I wonder. It seems like dynafit is pretty rigid about MAP stuff.
    They don't let the shops advertise... but AFAIK they can give discounts on the spot. I'm not suggesting a big round of haggling, margins on touring stuff is really low, but usually if you ask nice and don't expect much almost every shop will give you 15%. Especially if you come off nice. If you come off pushy and are obviously haggling you get nothing. I've done retail sales before, thats how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelKnievel View Post
    bentgate and bc.com both have them for $750 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
    bentgate and bc.com both have them for $750 shipped

That's the Mountain (non-carbon fiber) version.

mortimer, I think you're talking about the TLT5 Mountain for $750, not the Performance

How is the fit vs a Maestral or Spirit 3/4?

What is the BSL for the 26.5? 27.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Tlt5 and maestrale = slim foot
    Spirit = large foot
    More or less..............