Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Federico,

Is it correct that the TLT 5 Performance boot is only compatible with dynafit bindings?

Gillesleskieur - Can you give any comparison to other AT boots as far as flex (like the Zzeros, Megarides, Radiums etc....)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Federico,

Is it correct that the TLT 5 Performance boot is only compatible with dynafit bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    Binding compatibility: TLT5 and DyNA shells are made to be used on Dynafit binding ONLY!, as they don't follow the ISO-UNI requirments in sole design. Despite of this the boots works on standard touring binding WITHOUT any warranty on the safety release. Machine testing resulted that the side release is approx 10-15kg less than what tuned on the bindings.
    freak~[&]

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Thanks freak

Tried the TLT5 on today. Possibly a bit narrow for me, but such an amazingly streamlined boot, and what a fast transition! I managed to draw blood putting the liner back in and was tempted to bleed all over them so that I was forced to buy them (with money I cant afford to spend).

For those that will own them - happy days!
    Life is not lift served.

Congrates on your new shoes D

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Mammoth Mountaineering has the Mountain in a couple of sizes including 26 and 27. Alpenglow in Tahoe City and Reno Mountain Sports should also be getting some sizes soon.
    Thanks -- I'll check in at RMS this winter and see how they fit. I've never seen such strong reviews for an AT boot, so I need to check these out.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I just tried on a pair of Mountains and was very impressed. They didn't have my shell size unfortunately so I was a size too small, but I got the idea. It's tiff, has an excellent walk mode with a great range and is easier to transition from walk to ski than I was expecting. I am really looking forward to comparing it with the Performance model when all the sizes come in. I am thinking a Titan for resort and side country and a TLT for touring. I'll get rid of everything else.

Wet dog
    I would do so too.

Wilcox510
    To me they ski better than my zzero but im 60kg. I skied 3 seasons with the zzero c and would say that the TLT5's "performance" fit fit me better.

i find them more confidence inspiring and predictable than the zzero.
    woont compare with the radiums as i didn't liked them at all.. sorry

I think i ll ski all of my skis with the TLT perfo. (maybe just in powder for the darkside 128mm)

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    I am thinking a Titan for resort and side country and a TLT for touring. I'll get rid of everything else.
    Considering offing my Konflicts and do just that...
    And I thought I was covered in the boot department with those two purchases this past season, gotta stop trolling the web for gear!

Quote Originally Posted by gillesleskieur View Post
    To me they ski better than my zzero but im 60kg. I skied 3 seasons with the zzero c and would say that the TLT5's "performance" fit fit me better.

i find them more confidence inspiring and predictable than the zzero.
    gilles,

can you give me some more color on these comments? you've skied the zzero for 3 seasons, so i'm assuming you've used them extensively in the alps for descents. at 60kg though, you perhaps aren't flexing the boot fore and aft as aggressively due to your lighter weight. do you find the zzero to be softer fore / aft especially as opposed to torsionally, where they seem much stiffer due to the carbon stringers? did you do anything to stiffen the zzero fore / aft?

can you give some more detail to your comments comparing the TLT5 performance being "better" than the zzeros? do you mean they feel stiffer fore and aft and torsionally due to the carbon cuff and tongue and therefore are more capable of driving more skis in your quiver?

merci!

Mtnwriter

i found the zzero to be a bit soft fore aft yes so i skied them with a scarpa tornado black tong. it was better but still not as good, to me, (as far as control goes) as the TLT5 perfo.

Better: I m a skier, and a climber, so i climb (as opposed as "only" skin) a lot of rocks and ice to access the kind of skiing i like (...) therefor i like the TLT5 a lot because they re not as bulky nor heavy as other boots. The BSL is just the same as my ice climbing batura la sportiva boots. makes for a very natural stride.
    BUT i m a skier, i like skiing too much to make ANY compromises about the down (and wouln't start for any of the above reasons). But lets face it, at least for my style of skiing, technique, and weights, the TLT5 feel stiffer, fit my feet better, and at the same cuff height than zzeros give me plenty of support.

I think Jonathan S would agree (according to what he wrote here and at wildsnow) so if you want to ask him as well.

hope it helps.

Trigger = pulled on 27.5 TLT5 Performance. First they have to arrive in the States...
    Last edited by skinnyskier; 10-24-2010 at 08:05 PM.

I think Jonathan S would agree (according to what he wrote here and at wildsnow) so if you want to ask him as well.
    I felt that the DyNA was just as precise laterally and had just as much rearward support as my Zzero4. I added a booster strap partway through the winter (although I removed it for spring & summer), which noticeably improved the forward stiffness, and I suspect a plastic tongue would help even more.
    But unfortunately I can't provide any definitive thoughts because in the spring I sold my Zzero4 (in leap-of-faith anticipation of the TLT5), and so far I've tried on only the all-plastic "Mountain" version (which is a great touring-oriented boot, but it's definitely not at the Zzero4 level for skiability), with uncertain prospects for when any retailer or etailer will have the "Performance" version in my 26.0/26.5 size.

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    Congrates on your new shoes D
    I didn't buy them. I already own some scratched up smelly ski boots.
    Life is not lift served.

Mtnwriter

i found the zzero to be a bit soft fore aft yes so i skied them with a scarpa tornado black tong. it was better but still not as good, to me, (as far as control goes) as the TLT5 perfo.

Better: I m a skier, and a climber, so i climb (as opposed as "only" skin) a lot of rocks and ice to access the kind of skiing i like (...) therefor i like the TLT5 a lot because they re not as bulky nor heavy as other boots. The BSL is just the same as my ice climbing batura la sportiva boots. makes for a very natural stride.
    BUT i m a skier, i like skiing too much to make ANY compromises about the down (and wouln't start for any of the above reasons). But lets face it, at least for my style of skiing, technique, and weights, the TLT5 feel stiffer, fit my feet better, and at the same cuff height than zzeros give me plenty of support.

hope it helps.
    gilles,

thanks for the answers. they are very helpful. the TLT5 sounds like a hands down winner vis a vis touring and climbing capabilities. i'm a mere human in those regards, but if the TLT5 performance can ski at least as well as the zzero with scarpa tongues (which i found to be more than competent, once i was used to its softness) i don't see any down side to getting these - other than the price and the probability of ever getting them here in the US!

jonathan has kindly offered to let me try on his DyNA's and even promised to give me his pair of TLT5 performances when he gets them! what a great guy

to be perfectly honest, i may have to say that i m so amped bout the TLTS that i may be a bit biased. will need to ski them a bit more and in poorer conditions to realy say if they "beat" zzeros. (luckly fore me it s snoing here down to 900m..)
    but at the same time I know i wont ski the green machines anymore to compare.. ;-)

along with other 3 testers I skied mobe maestrale typhoon TLT5 radium virus and quadrant in the weekend in saas-fee..
    I am preparing an extensive review, likely to be ready for the end of the week.

mmmhhh, can´t wait

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    along with other 3 testers I skied mobe maestrale typhoon TLT5 radium virus and quadrant in the weekend in saas-fee..
    I am preparing an extensive review, likely to be ready for the end of the week.

along with other 3 testers I skied mobe maestrale[...]
    Any feedback specifically on the new Scarpa "Active Power Strap"? I'm thinking that such a stretchy (neoprene?) velcro strap might be a nice after-market add-on for other boots as an alternative to the big elastic bands and metal cam buckle of the Booster Strap I've been using?

johnatan, it's nice and much more user-friendly than the old straps, but to be honest I doubt it's a big step forward compared to the classic scarpa strap. We tried the typhoon with the classic strap and the mobe with the new "active etc" and - you know these two boots are almost identical - the difference in performance was minimal....

Thanks, although to clarify, do you think the difference relative to the old Scarpa non-stretchy velcro strap is because the new Scarpa Active Power Strap isn't delivering the full benefits of the Booster Strap, or because the Booster Strap doesn't offer much of an edge over a traditional non-stretchy velcro strap?

because the Booster Strap IMVHO doesn't seem to offer that much of an edge over a traditional non-stretchy velcro strap

sorry for my english........... :-)

sorry for my english........... :-)
    No need to apologize for your English, although you should apologize for writing English more clearly and correctly than most Americans, which definitely instills an inferiority complex in us...

hehehe my dad was a close friend of dante alighieri ;-)