Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Dynafit TLT 5 Boot

Anyone get ahold of these yet? I searched but didnt find anything. Figured there would be a lot of info about this boot.

I am looking for a performance AT boot that will fit my narrow foot. I was/am sold on the titan, but then I read the powder mag review on this boot. Seems pretty solid, maybe not a one boot quiver, but stiff enough to get a bit of hucking done in the BC?

Thoughts?

I'm curious to hear how the shell fit is compared to Zzeros.

i've read wildly different reports on the flex, powmag has it at 110, but i seem to remember wildsnow having it much softer. i would be interested in hearing what it really is like.

Im also pretty sure that this boot is tech(onyx, dynafit) ONLY, it cannot be used with any other binding, so that would absolutely make it a quiver boot.

but it does look sweet and if it lives up to what it's billed to be i could see myself with a pair if it fits my foot.

Tried em on yesterday, they are dreamy. The last seemed very low-volume - I have narrow feet and these were the best fit I have found so far. Great walk mode, but no where near as stiff/supportive as my Viruses (or the Factors I used to have, or the Titans I tried on last year).

I plan on getting a pair, but they are definitely oriented more for up than down. Not sure how good you are but to me they seem more like a boot for using when the ski is on the ground all the time.

Could you drive a 112 underfoot ski with these?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I should add that the pair I tried were protos, and were the Mountain version with the pebax cuff. The Performance version has a carbon cuff and is supposed to be stiffer- who knows on that score but it does cost $200 more. Also the note from the rep said the production version would be stiffer than the one I tried on, and presumably he was talking about the Mountain version, but I don't know.

If anyone else wants to try them the Village Ski Loft here in N Lake Tahoe has what I think is the only pair around... its a size 27.5 but feels smaller. They should have them for a couple days before they have to send them back to the rep. Also if you ask I bet they would cut you a good deal on a pair if they preorder them.

Also on the fit, I have 26.5 Viruses and to get the 27.5 TLT 5s on I had to put the liner on my foot first, then put my foot+liner into the shell. I couldn't get the boot on if the liner was in the shell. So you really do need to try these on for size before buying.

Edit to add: If you do go to the Ski Loft you might have to ask for a manager (Elko, Ben or Darren) to find the boots for you, some of the floor employees might not know WTF you are talking about since they just got the boots in for me to try on, they aren't stocking them as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Could you drive a 112 underfoot ski with these?
    I'll tell you in mid-December hopefully? I don't feel qualified to answer that without trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I'll tell you in mid-December hopefully? I don't feel qualified to answer that without trying it.
    I'll be curious to find out. Definitely don't huck and straightline, so a super comfortable stiff and light dynafit compatible boot sounds terrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I'll get it off my chest-I WANT a pair of TLT5 Pros. I want them to ski better than my Spirit 3s, transition faster and weigh less. And I want them to fit my feet. Yes, they cost an arm and a leg. They have a boot on the wall at Escape Route, which I have ogled repeatedly. I really don't care if they ski like Titans, as long as they outperform my current boots.

There are some nice reviews at Notes from the Neve and the Colorado Mountain School blog. Alex may have discussed them at his Ski Theory blog as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyskier View Post
    I want them to ski better than my Spirit 3s, transition faster and weigh less.
    These things they will do. They are a really nice design, the integrated buckle/walk mode lever is especially good. Lots of little things like that make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    i've read wildly different reports on the flex, powmag has it at 110, but i seem to remember wildsnow having it much softer. i would be interested in hearing what it really is like.
    I noticed that too. Conflicting flex reports. I hope it is like the powmag review..."Skier’s Choice Draft Pick | Round 5, 13th Pick by Hans Ludwig
    Things will change, but as of today this is the best, most functional ski boot ever made. It’s the lightest weight (1115 grams in size 27.5), has the most sole rocker, and the greatest range of motion in walk mode, which is why it’s marketed as a randonee race boot. But as a high-maintenance little bitch who normally skis a 150-flex Nordica Doberman, I can let you in on a secret: This rando race boot turns a ski better than anything but a plug boot. Combine it with the Dynafit binding, and you’ve got a better-handling setup than many alpine rigs. They make me feel like a magical elf in the mountains, but they’re burly enough to manhandle a 190cm fat ski. Bottom line: I refused to return them and skied out the winter on these weird little slippers—everything from no-fall couloirs to zipperline spring bumps at the resort." -http://blogs.powdermag.com/buyers-gu...ountain-boots/
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Supposed to be really cold due to the thin liner though...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Possibly the Powder reviewer has a low-volume foot and is stoked on the fit... they might ski great but if so its because the flex is smooth and the fit is good, not because they are stiff. Because they aren't.
    Maybe the reviewer really liked them and was trying to say "Try these out, I like burly boots but these were great for me. Maybe they will be for you too". It comes off saying they ski stiff like a plug boot, so I think its a poor analogy rather than outright bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Yah, although with this kind of gear in theory you're supposed to stay in motion and thus stay warm. The usual touring day where people get tired, take 10-15 minutes at every transition, spend an hour freezing through lunch and climb 4500' over 6 hours ain't gonna cut it. This may be more of a pull a Clif bar out of a side pocket on the uptrack and haul ass kind of boot.

Yah, although with this kind of gear in theory you're supposed to stay in motion and thus stay warm. The usual touring day where people get tired, take 10-15 minutes at every transition, spend an hour freezing through lunch and climb 4500' over 6 hours ain't gonna cut it. This may be more of a pull a Clif bar out of a side pocket on the uptrack and haul ass kind of boot.
    I've been looking at the Scarpa Mastrela as an all-day lightweight boot. Great fit and pretty light.

I've been looking at the Scarpa Mastrela as an all-day lightweight boot. Great fit and pretty light.
    Lee tested it last spring, and I think he liked it. It got some mediocre reviews in Backcountry, but it's certainly on my list too.

TLT5 are sorta cheap version of the DyNA racing boots released last winter. I might be wrong but they'll likely work very well for people with strong skills, and much worse for macho skiers who uses the critical mass of their boots to drive skis.
    friends who have used them told they were a dream with <80 mm skis, quite interesting with 80-110 skis (albeit you need a lot of skill to drive those sticks) and a nightmare with fatter skis. This makes a lot of sense, BTW.
    Said that, I'd like to try 'em asap.
    The scarpa reference IMVHO is the F1 (and the new race boot in sight for 2012), not the maestrale that is about 400g heavier.

Will Scarpa's new race boot have a bellows?

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    TLT5 are sorta cheap version of the DyNA racing boots released last winter. I might be wrong but they'll likely work very well for people with strong skills, and much worse for macho skiers who uses the critical mass of their boots to drive skis.
    friends who have used them told they were a dream with <80 mm skis, quite interesting with 80-110 skis (albeit you need a lot of skill to drive those sticks) and a nightmare with fatter skis. This makes a lot of sense, BTW.
    Said that, I'd like to try 'em asap.
    The scarpa reference IMVHO is the F1 (and the new race boot in sight for 2012), not the maestrale that is about 400g heavier.
    I'm sure your basic point is true. If you need a 9# pair of boots, these are not for you. As to comparisons with the F1/F3, Jonathan Schefftz say his DyNA skis much better than an F1. I've only skied the latter. The DyNA/TLT5 doesn't have true forefoot bellows, so it shouldn't be quite as spongy as the F1.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I'd like to know it too.......
    but looks still top-secret right now

Lee tested it last spring, and I think he liked it. It got some mediocre reviews in Backcountry, but it's certainly on my list too.
    I tried them on last week. Fit was good, flex felt like my Spirit 4's more or less, but they were nice and light.

How short are they?

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Anyone get ahold of these yet? I searched but didnt find anything. Figured there would be a lot of info about this boot.
    http://www.wildsnow.com/2346/dynafit...boot-its-here/
    [Started off as my DyNA review, but lots of comments on the TLT5.]
    http://www.wildsnow.com/2446/dynafit-gear-review/
    http://skitheory.blogspot.com/2010/0...irst-look.html
    http://coloradomountainschoolgearrev...rbon-boot.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I'm curious to hear how the shell fit is compared to Zzeros.
    The shell fit on the TLT5 Performance, TLT5 Mountain, and DyNA must be identical, in which case the TLT5 is definitely a slimmer shell than the Zzero, though the liner is also thinner: supposedly 7mm vs 10mm. Overall, that matches up with my impressions (and I took the same size in both boots).

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    Im also pretty sure that this boot is tech(onyx, dynafit) ONLY, it cannot be used with any other binding, so that would absolutely make it a quiver boot.
    After using the DyNA all of last season, I just kind of assumed it was only Tech compatible (plus using the DyNA in anything but Dynafit bindings just seems kind of weird -- otherwise the binding would weigh more than the boots!), but looking at the reviews of the TLT5, I finally decided to check: I haven't torque tested it yet, but sure seems to fit into Diamirs just fine.

Somehow I didn't end up having any bitterly cold days in the DyNA last year, but on regular winter days, felt as warm as any other thermo liner boot.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    TLT5 are sorta cheap version of the DyNA racing boots released last winter.
    Although it's $500 less, I wouldn't quite characterize it that way: the TLT5 Performance starts with the DyNA, adds a velcro strap, removable plastic tongue, additional rubber underneath arch of the shell. It also modifies the durometer of the rest of rubber sole and replaces the buckle cords with more normal bails. And the carbon insert at the Active Flex area is replaced with some sort of plastic.
    Then the TLT5 Mountain is the econo (relatively speaking...) version (another $250 less) with a regular pebax upper cuff (instead of the massive and super stiff cf upper cuff of the TLT Performance & DyNA).

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    They sure are keeping that super stealthy! The only info is the name and the picture that Jared posted.

As to comparisons with the F1/F3, Jonathan Schefftz say his DyNA skis much better than an F1.
    Let's put it this way: when I had the F1, I used it pretty much only for rando race training & outings with more up than down. But when I got the DyNA, I taped on a booster strap and then sold all my other boots (including the Zzero4 I thought I'd never part with). I do plan to buy the TLT5 Performance for the addition of a plastic tongue though.

I'd be into the carbon ones but . . . a $1000 clams!? WTF? Not so much. That would never get by the accountant. Sexy but no way.

Read every one of those reviews/ads and thought they were mostly reviews regarding weight. Noone really reports how they ski. Thanks for googling for me tho.

Lots of good info in this thread. Would love to know how the stiffness here would compare to say, the garmont adrenaline. Done plenty of big jumps on those with no issue. That combined with a in bounds shredding boot could be $$$$$.

Anyone have an idea if the carbon one is stiffer than an 85 flex, according to this thread?

http://stk.tetongravity.com/forums/a...3&d=1281401883