Page 8 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Bad news - it hasn't been written yet .......
    And the last book released took what, 5 years to come out?

I'd love to see the next one, but I think it may be a while...

Lotsa development regarding the Dragons in Book 5 - which is why its title is A Dance with Dragons.

I'm hoping that GRRM's heavy involvement in the TV series has inspired him to actively keep writing the series. He was being a whiny bitch IMHO before ADWD came out, but there is something to say about writer's block.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    He was being a whiny bitch IMHO before ADWD came out, but there is something to say about writer's block.
    Well, he's what, 5,000 pages in at this point? I can see how he'd be losing a little momentum. I love the way the books are written with chapters alternating points of view, but it certainly isn't conducive to brevity!

I'm about half way through the third book right now. It's going to suck when I finish the fifth book and have to wait a few years until the next one comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Well, he's what, 5,000 pages in at this point? I can see how he'd be losing a little momentum. I love the way the books are written with chapters alternating points of view, but it certainly isn't conducive to brevity!

I'm about half way through the third book right now. It's going to suck when I finish the fifth book and have to wait a few years until the next one comes out.
    Yeah, I'm on the fourth book and taking my time, trying to stretch it out a little. Of course it might not be worth waiting for:

SANTA FE, NM—In the wake of last year's highly successful publication of the fifth installment in his A Song Of Ice And Fire series, author George R.R. Martin assured fans Tuesday the final two books in the fantasy saga would be "complete turds." "For starters, there'll be no mention of the dragons at all, because I'm pretty much sick of writing about dragons at this point," said Martin, who added he would also be introducing an entirely new storyline set on a completely different continent and featuring a cast of at least 50 new characters all vying for the same throne. "And I'm going to take even longer to write these last two, at least a decade each. Who knows if I'll even be alive to finish them? Who cares? My son knows how to spell most of the characters' names, so maybe I'll let him wrap the whole thing up." Martin said that while he didn't want to give too much away, he was certainly going to kill off Tyrion and never resurrect him, because "that fucking dwarf" was annoying the shit out of him" (The Onion).

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I'd prefer the dragons going talon-to-toe with the frozen zombies of the north...
    IMHO this is what's going to happen... after all, the series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire"... we just have to wait a wee bit until Martin wraps this up. One worry is that he pulls a Robert Jordan and passes before finishing...
    "Go Balls Deep!"

I (and a lot of other people) think Jon Snow is not Ned's. I think the title refers to Lyanna and Rhaegar, who foolishly fell in love (I really doubt he kidnapped and raped her) and unwittingly set off this entire chain of events.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Lotsa development regarding the Dragons in Book 5 - which is why its title is A Dance with Dragons.

I'm hoping that GRRM's heavy involvement in the TV series has inspired him to actively keep writing the series. He was being a whiny bitch IMHO before ADWD came out, but there is something to say about writer's block.
    Part of the reason is that books 4 and 5 were technically supposed to be 1 book and involve a time skip. He scrapped that and had to retool the entire plotline. That said, he seems to be a lazy bastard on writing them, but hopefully the possibility of HBO showing people the ending first has lit a fire under his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Part of the reason is that books 4 and 5 were technically supposed to be 1 book and involve a time skip. He scrapped that and had to retool the entire plotline. That said, he seems to be a lazy bastard on writing them, but hopefully the possibility of HBO showing people the ending first has lit a fire under his ass.
    Hope so, but also hope this doesn't make the writing suffer.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Hope so, but also hope this doesn't make the writing suffer.
    Too late I'd say. Relatively speaking I thought the writing and editing (especially the editing) in book 5 was very disappointing.

My theory is that he really didn't know what to do with it for 5 years, then after the Tv show went into production he was forced "strike while the iron was hot" and finish the book in a hurry. And without any real inspiration he just spewed some verbal diarrhea until it was finished (too-long writing being a by-product of that), leaving his editors with not enough time to do a decent job before sending it to the printers to get into the market.

Really? that's how i felt about book 4 but definitely not 5. well the second two-thirds of book five. I felt like it seemed to finally have a direction again. You have to remember that grrm really likes to throw curveballs about who the reader perceives as protagonists and antagonists. Having read all 5 books i can only think of 2 people who are undoubtedly protagonists (both female). the one disappointment I've really been stuck on for awhile is aryas storyline for quite some time. I do trust he will pull it all together, i just also know deep down there is bound to be quite a bit that doesn't sit well with audiences, and that is exactly what grrm wants.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
    Really? that's how i felt about book 4 but definitely not 5. well the second two-thirds of book five.
    Seconded.

I actually really like what's happening with Arya.

Wow, things sure hit the fan in the second half of A Storm of Swords. I was up past 2:00 last night reading it. Just when you think things are calming down Martin likes to tip the table over on you!

Okay book guys, one tip please, who were the charred corpes Theon trotted out?
    Theater or did he find them?

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Okay book guys, one tip please, who were the charred corpes Theon trotted out?
    Theater or did he find them?
    I hate to give away any spoilers. What was revealed in the episode?

Nothing - it was the last scene, with Maester Lewin screaming "Nooooooo!"

Then I think Crampedon is just going to have to wait!

^^ Agreed. :-)

One of the bodies was the russian mobster from the Pine Barrens episode of the Sopranos. HBO is trying to tie up some loose ends.

Never said the story wasn't still good, just that there is a bunch of fluff that could have easily been chopped out. More than a few throwaway chapters where nothing really happens, and he does that horribly annoying thing where he repeats some dialog from earlier: "you know nothing Jon snow" , "words are wind" and several others. Found it really clumsy in book 5.

Chop out all that and I think it would be a better book.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    One of the bodies was the russian mobster from the Pine Barrens episode of the Sopranos. HBO is trying to tie up some loose ends.
    I think one was Christophers girlfriend Adriana after she got the gun...

I am jumping way ahead on http://winteriscoming.net/

They have the sight divided to movie watchers only and readers, to avoid spoilers.

I got questions, no time to read the books right now. Some of the sentiment by the book reades on that site agree, book 5 could be trimmed to 3 chapters...

I thought the first season was better.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

How the hell do you not bang the redhead?

He took an oath. you know......like a priest does.

Besides, he is clearly afraid to lose his willy in her fang lined snatch

good one from the reddits today

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    How the hell do you not bang the redhead?
    You know nothing, MakersTeleMark.

Honestly disappointed in the choice of actress for Ygritte. I pictured her as hotter.