Dynafit wide brakes on 110+ skis.

For those using Dynafits on their Lhasa Pows or Wailer 112's, what have you done for brakes? I am considering a pair of one or the other for this year. Can the 110mm brakes be bent to fit? I know that they are a little more complicated than other brake systems and don't take to bending too much. It is only a couple of mm so I wouldn't think it would be that problematic. Anyone done it with success?

One option: Somewhere on here, I've seen instructions for swapping Salomon brake arms into Dynafit brakes

Steps:

1) Remove brakes, or better yet, never install them until you've completed the rest of the steps

2) Clamp horizontal part of a brake arm in a vice. The angles can be tricky here, but it's possible.

3) Use a section of pipe, a broken ski pole, or similar for leverage to bend the brake arm so it is straight.

4) Adjust the straight brake arm in the vice so that when you re-bend it it will be wider. It might help to scratch a mark on the arm at the place you want it to bend. Also, keep in mind that the new bend will have a curve to it, making the actual width about 5mm more than where you mark the bar/ clamp it in the vice.

5) Re-bend the bar with your pipe/ broken ski pole. Be careful to bend the brakes at the correct angle (i.e. don't bend them so they point towards the ski's tips).

6) Repeat for other brake arms.

7) Ski

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^ thats what I did to get them to go over 120 for 112 I didn't bother removing.
    Ive heard the swap soli arms thing a few times but never seen the thread
    or know anybody who has done it.
    I'd be interested if anyone knew
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Didn't have to bend them for my Lhasa protos. Plenty of room.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

just mount them up... I have room to spare (couple mm or two on each side). I have these mounted on the line for my lhasa pows.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Steps:

1) Remove brakes, or better yet, never install them until you've completed the rest of the steps

2) Clamp horizontal part of a brake arm in a vice. The angles can be tricky here, but it's possible.

3) Use a section of pipe, a broken ski pole, or similar for leverage to bend the brake arm so it is straight.

4) Adjust the straight brake arm in the vice so that when you re-bend it it will be wider. It might help to scratch a mark on the arm at the place you want it to bend. Also, keep in mind that the new bend will have a curve to it, making the actual width about 5mm more than where you mark the bar/ clamp it in the vice.

5) Re-bend the bar with your pipe/ broken ski pole. Be careful to bend the brakes at the correct angle (i.e. don't bend them so they point towards the ski's tips).

6) Repeat for other brake arms.

7) Ski
    Thanks, figured this would be the way, but nice to know someone has done it. (Bought some second hand FT12´s with 92mm brakes, but putting them on wider skis.)
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

I just saw on the REI website, that they are carrying Dynafit 130mm wide brakes. If this is in fact true and Dynafit is making wider brakes this year, then problem solved!

The updated 2010-11 pro website also lists the 130mm brake (even though the public website has not yet been updated for the coming season), so the new truly wide brake does appear to be for real (as opposed some REI typo).

130mm? Awesome.

FWIW the 100mm easily fits on my 112mm skis, no issues at all.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Yea, dont bother with new brakes. They're fine for that size. Just a slight tweek needed to work perfect on mine, 117mm

As another option:

http://www.bndskigear.com/skileash.html

I don't use brakes on Dynafits; I use these leashes. There are pros & cons to both.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

another one here with 110 mm dynafite brakes fine on 188 S7's (114 mm?)
    Aggressive in my own mind