Arrow TR: The Steeze-Off at Steamboat Springs | Sept. 5, 2010

This past Sunday with perfect weather on hand, I joined adrenalated and skiberly on a trip towards Steamboat Springs to see just how unflippy and unspinny we really are. For the very low price of $20, you get access to 2 tramps and 5 water ramps of different heights and trajectories for 8 hours (or until you feel the need to tap out because the most recent side-flop from 20 feet in the air has you reconsidering). The atmosphere was very much like being at first chair on a powder day with plenty of stoke passed around between everyone. Aside from taking our unsteeze to the ramps, it was quite the experience watching these kids throw down at such young ages (easily more than half of ours).

Main website:
    http://www.sswsc.org/

More info about the ramps here:
    http://www.sswsc.org/images/stories/...il_version.pdf

Now for the visuals (for a few more words, feel free to click here ... OH NOES! a blog link ... do not click) ...

The facility:

The crowd:

The lineup:

The flips and spins:

The token scientist chica formerly known as skiberly:

The video (with adrenalated making appearances just before the first tramp segment and at the very end):

Last edited by NPG; 09-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Is this at the water ski lake? Pretty cool.

Where are pictures of NPG getting inverted? Those are the ones I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Where are pictures of NPG getting inverted? Those are the ones I want to see.
    seconded. must be something quality in there.

It's open to everyone now? You don't have to have a USSA membership?

Open to absolutely anyone. If you can't manage to get a pair of beater skis that will never see snow again, there are some sticks there that you can use free of charge. Last day this year is Oct. 10th. And the ramp is situated at Bald Eagle Ski Lake.

Looks awesome!!

My ignorant ass doesn't fear the crushing blow that a 20 foot drop flat on my back would cause. I have a fear of falling on that plastic stuff and ripping off a finger or two while I speed down the ramp leaving a trail of skin and blood behind me...

Anyone ever fallen on that plastic stuff?
    "That's what she said."

nice stuff NPG
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Other than that one kid constantly going switch who almost lost it a few times, I didn't see or hear of anyone falling and there was probably a good 50-60 people there. If you get a squirrely feeling coming down the ramp, just apply some wax (everything's provided) and you'll be good.

well played
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Nice preseason stoke NPG.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Open to absolutely anyone. If you can't manage to get a pair of beater skis that will never see snow again, there are some sticks there that you can use free of charge. Last day this year is Oct. 10th. And the ramp is situated at Bald Eagle Ski Lake.
    Thanks. I am very familiar with it. SheRa, Blurred, Z, Telekoptero, and I used to go up there five years ago. It used to be that you had to have a USSA membership.

Yours truly:

Jongish but serious question NickyPapaG, what's it like to swim in ski boots and skis? Do you unclip your skis once in the water or it really a non-factor?

Looks like a blast BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Other than that one kid constantly going switch who almost lost it a few times, I didn't see or hear of anyone falling and there was probably a good 50-60 people there. If you get a squirrely feeling coming down the ramp, just apply some wax (everything's provided) and you'll be good.
    seen some gnarly falls at the whistler water ramps but i think they have a different material

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Jongish but serious question NickyPapaG, what's it like to swim in ski boots and skis? Do you unclip your skis once in the water or it really a non-factor?
    They throw you a rope and just pull you in

Commonlaw - you just swim to shore as you normally would but keep your legs bent ... it's pretty easy but imagine it might be difficult for a snowboarder. On the biggest of airs, you're probably no more than 40 feet away. Only time I released out of my binding was when the DIN was set to 8, and even then, you connect string from the brakes to your boot buckle to prevent the ski from drowning. For a setup, I would go with something around 175, wood core with a lightweight binding (think 912ti).

Thanks guys. Figured it must not be too bad.