Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wanky emo! do you get all swoony when you hear tonight?

I was there. Sadly, my first Smashing Pumpkins show and first show at the Knitt. I did go in with kinda low expectations as well, and will say that the sound FUCKING SUCKS in that venue, but I thought there were some moments where they sounded good. Don't even know which song it was but it was close to the end of the first set, if you want to call it that, where I was impressed. Super fast rocky song, and they killed it and sounded pretty tight. It kinda went downhill from there. Singing "Disarm" over a track was L A M E

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    wanky emo! do you get all swoony when you hear tonight?
    wrong album ripz

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I used to have a (bootleg) copy of mayonaise dream which was acoustical versions of the album, a few gish tunes and some covers it was a small independent label that I tried to google but couldn't find I think I still have the
    empty cd case somewhere. Anybody else ever heard/seen this
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I used to have a (bootleg) copy of mayonaise dream which was acoustical versions of the album, a few gish tunes and some covers it was a small independent label that I tried to google but couldn't find I think I still have the
    empty cd case somewhere. Anybody else ever heard/seen this
    http://isohunt.com/download/70979945...mpkins.torrent

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    I was there. Sadly, my first Smashing Pumpkins show and first show at the Knitt. I did go in with kinda low expectations as well, and will say that the sound FUCKING SUCKS in that venue, but I thought there were some moments where they sounded good. Don't even know which song it was but it was close to the end of the first set, if you want to call it that, where I was impressed. Super fast rocky song, and they killed it and sounded pretty tight. It kinda went downhill from there. Singing "Disarm" over a track was L A M E
    Agreed. I was super excited when the Knit opened up but I've been extremely disappointed with the acts they've been bringing in. I completely understand that they need to cater to the Reno audience especially in their first year, and so they're booking acts that will fill up the place. That said, they haven't pushed the Reno envelope at all. The only other show I've been interested in since they opened in January was the BRMC gig, and they cancelled that supposedly because the bus got stuck in a snowstorm between Idaho and here. Beyond that, it's been shite. The seemingly endless string of cover bands is a joke. The balcony upstairs is a joke too. They totally blew that.

The sound wasn't horrible I thought. At least compared to a lot of shows I've been too lately. I think competent sound board operators have gone the way of the dodo. Most of them just turn it up to 11 now, which distorts the shit out of everything. If they'd just turn it down a notch, it would still be loud as fuck but it would be much clearer. If you really want bad sound, go to the Underground. Worst damn sound system I've ever heard.

Anyway, St. James has way more interesting stuff happening on their little corner "stage" and all of their shows are free. The GSR gets the occasional good show too. The Silversun Pickups played there a few weeks ago, the Crowes played there a few months ago (for a lot less than the Knit is charging for them), and the Beck show I saw there a couple of years ago was damn good. The Knit is a just a big bag of meh.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    heh, that's better. i had a lengthy discussion with this guy and stroked his ego on the pumpkins work. i never let on how much i hated everything after gish (haha). i didn't ask him directly about the pumpkins but he did tell me that brittney and j-lo were nearly 100% pure manufactured music by the record label (him plus the other producers). they write and hand over the credit to the performers. you can't deny, there was a huge difference in the songwriting style between gish and siamese dream. it went from raw power to wanky emo. seems like too much change given the circumstances.
    I see your point, but I never got the sense that Corgan's song output was limited. I mean, they followed Mellon Collie with the Aeroplane Flies High box set that was contained an additional 20 or so b-sides from that era. That's a lot of songs. And second, having learned to play a bunch of their songs over the years, there's a lot of tricks/moves that get used repeatedly, which makes me think a change in the principal songwriter is unlikely.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Dude, I cannot stand idly by and let you call Siamese Dream "wanky emo"! That album was the pinnacle of songwriting, buzzed out distortion, lush guitar atmospherics, mid-Nineties angst, not to mention the ridiculous production by Butch Vig. I love Gish, but SD was the Pumpkins attaining the next level. Unfortunately, the Billy Corgan show pretty much imploded, and went full-on suckfest from Melloncollie on.

Caveat: 'Disarm' is pretty wanky. Subtract that one song and you have a damn-near perfect album.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post

they just don't make bands like they used to. there's no passion anymore, hipster indie shit is nice in your car but fuck is it ever boring live. the kids today are getting a bum deal..
    Amen to that. Music seems watered down today, like they're all on prozac or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Dude, I cannot stand idly by and let you call Siamese Dream "wanky emo"! That album was the pinnacle of songwriting, buzzed out distortion, lush guitar atmospherics, mid-Nineties angst, not to mention the ridiculous production by Butch Vig. I love Gish, but SD was the Pumpkins attaining the next level. Unfortunately, the Billy Corgan show pretty much imploded, and went full-on suckfest from Melloncollie on.

Caveat: 'Disarm' is pretty wanky. Subtract that one song and you have a damn-near perfect album.

I agree with pretty much all this, except that Mellon Collie has gotten way better with age.

I have (understandably) fallen out of ways with SP in the years but I am sincerely intrigued by the announcement that Jimmy Chamberlin will be rejoining the Pumpkins for this summer's tour. In my mind he was the driving force behind the weight of SP.

Yeah I know the band is Billy, but just listen to "Quiet" off SD and try to not hear what he brought to the mix.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I agree with pretty much all this, except that Mellon Collie has gotten way better with age.

I have (understandably) fallen out of ways with SP in the years but I am sincerely intrigued by the announcement that Jimmy Chamberlin will be rejoining the Pumpkins for this summer's tour. In my mind he was the driving force behind the weight of SP.

Yeah I know the band is Billy, but just listen to "Quiet" off SD and try to not hear what he brought to the mix.
    One of the all time best drummers, IMO.

SP had their moments even after mellon collie. "United States" is one of my favorite SP songs ever, and it was amazing live.

It appears Pumpkins fans have finally gotten what they wanted: Billy has embraced that they want to hear the old stuff and has pledged to "celebrate the history" on this tour. Now I'm really intrigued to go see them for the first time in over a decade.

Silversun Pickups>Smashing Pumpkins:

^Looks like a tribute/ripoff to Sonic Youth's Dirty Boots video.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Silversun Pickups are severely inspired by the Smashing Pumpkins:

^Looks like a tribute/ripoff to Sonic Youth's Dirty Boots video.
    FIFY.

Don't get me wrong, when I fell out of SP and first heard Silversun Pickups I was like, "holy shit, new Pumpkins!" I like em, they sound awesome and I'd be curious to hear more. Can't discount how good the Pumpkins were though, especially Gish-->Pisces.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    FIFY.

Don't get me wrong, when I fell out of SP and first heard Silversun Pickups I was like, "holy shit, new Pumpkins!" I like em, they sound awesome and I'd be curious to hear more. Can't discount how good the Pumpkins were though, especially Gish-->Pisces.
    Yeah, that was my first reaction too. The SP=SP thing always hits me when I think about Smashing Pumpkins.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i'm just gonna leave this here cause i miss the pow and old pumkins
    and i gots to meet the op last season

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i'm just gonna leave this here cause i miss the pow and old pumkins
    and i gots to meet the op last season