Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

4FRNT Renegade ~ Hand built in SLC.

Got mine on order. 30 days and counting for delivery. Pretty psyched
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Love the look of these and the added rocker.

There was just a test of the Renegades released in a big swedish skiing magazine. They called it the winner in the test for powder conditions (several other new offpist skis tested) and said that it was the best powder ski they ever tested in the magazine. (their have never included true powder specific skis however).

BUT to my surprise they also said that it was close to unskiable in everything except powder, because it beeing extremely loose and slidy. Even in tracked pow and spring slush apparently. The testers claim that the ski basically just disappear under the feet and slide sideways as soon as you apply the slightest amount of pressure, even in soft groomed conditions. Anyone tried it? Looking at the construction and the measurments, I would say that it seems to be a ski that could handle most conditions, even hardpack. Is it really that loose?

Quote Originally Posted by MnO View Post
    There was just a test of the Renegades released in a big swedish skiing magazine. They called it the winner in the test for powder conditions (several other new offpist skis tested) and said that it was the best powder ski they ever tested in the magazine. (their have never included true powder specific skis however).

BUT to my surprise they also said that it was close to unskiable in everything except powder, because it beeing extremely loose and slidy. Even in tracked pow and spring slush apparently. The testers claim that the ski basically just disappear under the feet and slide sideways as soon as you apply the slightest amount of pressure, even in soft groomed conditions. Anyone tried it? Looking at the construction and the measurments, I would say that it seems to be a ski that could handle most conditions, even hardpack. Is it really that loose?
    I've read the same thing in magazine tests about the S7s - which many here would agree carve like a slalom ski... as far as powder skis go... But yes, compared to an actual slalom ski, the S7 is difficult on groomers.

What were they saying about other pow skis in terms of versatility? Were they wieners in general or specifically negative about this ski?

Quote Originally Posted by MnO View Post

Åka Skidor? Early!

Care to share some more on how they compared them to other models? Which, if any, were considered "good" on hardpack?
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

EHP Renegade Review

My findings disagree with those initial reports. Here is my two day review from south america:

Me: 23 y/o, 5’ 8”, 150lbs.
    Ability: Grew up skiing in Jackson Hole from age two. Skied a lot. Freestyle/ freeride team. Went to college at U of U, kept skiing. Ski ability corresponds to this upbringing.

Similar skis I’ve skied: Surface Live Life 1s 189 (the ones with 4 degrees of rocker, real mellow), Hellbent ( not really similar. Good brighton ski/ Bad JH ski. Switched to LL1 to stiffen up.) 179 EHP (took some runs down groomers on a friends)

4frnt was kind enough to send me a pair of the first run they made last winter. Regular production wasn’t to be ready by the time I was leaving for a three month stint in Santiago. I was assured these are full production quality.

First glance: These skis are beautiful. The core extending to the edges just give you a sense that they are one burly piece of craftsmanship. Graphics are great. Skis hand flex pretty damn stiff in the tail and a little softer in the tip. All in all they just look quality.

Mounting point: Variable (see below)

Conditions tested: Two different days. First was at Valle Nevado, some stuff softened up from the sun later in the day, but mostly hard as shit. Not too icy, but a little (intermountain west ice barometer). Hard, chalky groomers were the name of the game, but things were pretty smooth. Second was at El Colorado about 10 days later, last Friday. It seemed to have snowed about a 8” the night before and a few inches a day for a few days before that (from what people were saying). The snow was layered accordingly. Refrozen springtime chop/crap/mini moguls at the bottom, the few inches from the days before had fallen heavy and frozen up, so it was a little punchy but added some decent cushion from the hard stuff, a little grabby though. The 8” on top was pretty light, but warming up as the day went on and sun came out. Pretty manky by the end. There was some more west facing aspects of some fins that provided un-layered snow, super smooth at wasn’t hitting any sort of bottom. Just light dry powder a foot or so deep. There were only a few small sections like this but they provided that good mid-winter, blower feel. It good up on the hill by 10:30 and the sun was just starting to peak out and there was lots of untracked to be had on the cono este t-bar. Otherwise the groomers were just nice and soft. Really fun and smooth, started to get a little sloppy be the end of the day, but minor. They were firm enough to hold up ok.

Hard pack/ chalky/ icy: Mounting point was 5cm back from center(4frnt recommended). From right out of the gate these skis just wanted to go fast. It took a few runs to get to the full reverse camber, as I was finishing my turns it was rolling me into the back seat. Easy to compensate for by just staying over the skis and once I was used to it I was just ripping GS turns. The skis felt super stable, the edges held great even on pretty buffed snow. Within an hour I was starting to really click with the skis and getting used to skiing for the first time since may. Then I was just hauling ass. They just wanted to go. Turning them gave a really powerful, stable feel. They really ripped turns. I waited a little while before I straight lined too fast because I was scared they might get a little squirrely due to the reverse camber, but when I did they were fine tracking straight and also really stable. Shutting them down quickly and with authority was easy enough. The turns were the most surprising experience though, they just railed. On this day I wasn’t trying to get much tighter than GS turns, but they bit the snow and then sprung me out of turns. I imagine it’s because the ski is already bent when you lay it over so it could turn quicker, but for such a stiff, straight ski they really have a lively way of turning. When I was on my friend’s normal ehp’s the first few turns I tried to lay it over and turn, and then my outside ski would just track straight and go wide. That happened to me on a few early turns on these skis, but once I stayed on top of that outside ski it was just zipping into the turns, it was really impressive. There were a few areas at the tops of some of the runs were it was really hard, icy and steeper. The skis got a little chattery, but I suspect this was from the waste width. Again, once I compensated for it and started to going quicker edge to edge with sliding turns it got better.

Caveat: The heel piece of one of my bindings ripped out in the afternoon due to a decidedly sketchy Chilean mount. I went forward to find new holes with a different binding pattern. It was supposed to be 1cm forward but ended up around 2cm forward. The rest of the review is at 3cm back from center.

Soft groomers: I skied soft groomers in the afternoon at El Colorado after I had properly warmed myself up and gotten used to the skis in the morning powder and all I can say is that skis were seriously ripping shit up. I’m talking about bouncing turns from side to side, so snappy and quick it was insane. I just got a shit eating grin on my face from how much power they were generating out of turns. I was getting tighter turns than the first day because I wasn’t as scared to put all my weight and power into the turns, getting close to a slalom radius. Bam Bam Bam, I would just load them up and they would explode and snap me out on the side going back the other direction. I was just intuitive. With small and big radius turns at high speeds they were super stable, the stiffness of the ski makes it a bit of a tank. I was crossing ruts from gate training early in the day and the skis weren’t snagging up or getting kicked around. The snow what a little more uneven than the groomers on the first day at Valle, and I got a little squirrelyness when the skis were tracking straight. It wasn’t really scary though. It came in the form of one ski (whichever had less weight on it) floating around on the yaw axis. Just kind of pivoting from side to side, but when it would catch up again or I would put it on edge it was always tracking in the same direction I was going. It happened a few times, mostly going over little rollers, and at first it felt a little weird but never made my fearful; even when I was going pretty fast. It only happened when the skis were off edge. This might also have been exacerbated by my forward mounting position. Other than that the skis absolutely ruled on soft groomers, I would imagine that now I would get a similar feeling on hard groomers. The first day I hadn’t quite figured out the balance and feel of the skis.

continued below...

...continued from above

Powder: Sick. I went up to the backside of El Colorado as soon as I got there. My first few runs I was not as warmed up and wary of the snaggy snow under the fresh from the night before. Also I didn’t want to put too much weight on the front of the skis as they were mounted forward of recommended and didn’t want to get snagged and spanked. At first the stuff on the bottom was booting me around and the stiffness of the ski was making it them want to just go fast and take me for a ride. It kept me in the back seat a little in the chopped up stuff at the top, but at the bottom it opened up and untracked was everywhere. I let them go and initial results were good. After a few runs of warming up and stopping being such a pussy, I really got on top of these skis. ( A lot of reviews on here talk about a ski needing a “competent pilot,” not sure what that really means, but by the fact that when I got powerful and deliberate in my style the skis were more fun I’d say they might fall into that category. ) To sum it up, in powder, these skis also rip shit up. But that’s to be expected.

Here are the things I really liked about them:

-Stiffness: I really liked the Live Live 1s because they were a solid and pretty stiff ski. They didn’t goo out when I really powered them in soft snow, they were reliable. Well the renegades were stiffer and were therefore IMO more reliable. It takes more energy but it’s good to know the ski will do what you tell it to. Once I got my balance on the skis and was skiing powerfully over the front they were just a blast. They were staying the course even though sometimes they were hitting the nasty shit on the bottom.

-The rocker profile: The other thing I liked about the Live Life 1s was the mellow rocker profile. It was long and low in both the tip and tail. Thus the tail could release in powder but still be counted on from prying yourself out of the back seat or stomping airs. The low tip rocker also wouldn’t get booted around chop either. The renegades are the same way but with the advantage of having full reverse camber instead of the kinked rocker profile of the live lifes. The balance point on the ski was analog and more up to me as the driver. Rolling from the front to the back seat and vice versa was a smooth experience. The tail was most definitely always there if I got kicked into the back seat I could push off the tail and it wouldn’t give out at all. I’m a lighter guy, but I think there’s plenty of power in there if you’re heavier. The ski was plenty pivoty though. It was easy to slash out a turn when necessary.

-Straight sidecut/ Tips not fat relative to waist: The thing I didn’t like about the Live Lifes was they would get hooky in large radius, fast powder turns, especially when there was a slight wind crust. They would just want to turn too much and not track straight. I would watch my friend with ehp’s with envy as his skis tracked effortlessly through more challenging surface conditions. Now I’m in the club. At no point did the tips snag up or set me into a set turn radius. They just tracked where I wanted them to. There was enough untouched powder to test this pretty extensively. It was just awesome. They were just so open to my input: straight, big turn, little turn, pivot/slarve turn, no problems. When I was getting toward the bottom of the run and it flattened out, I would look down at the skis plowing through the snow and they looked so hydro-dynamic, perfectly designed to move through fluid. The tip would stay up, breaking trail, the fattest part is straight for a while so it just cut smoothly through what the tipped missed, then the rest just filled in behind without much gap between the waist width and the track. Just so smooth. It’s gonna be so much fun to let these run in some steep, wide open, slightly wind buffed snow. So fast and stable.

As far as the float, it wasn’t a 3 foot dump so it’s hard to tell. But it shouldn’t be a problem, I was planning up on 8”-12” and not feeling the bottom. And I’m a little further forward than recommended. I wish a little bit I was at recommended because a little more tip would be perfect but I didn’t really see any float issues at +2. The areas that were west facing and smoother just gave me a sense of how awesome it’s gonna be in pure powder. For 5 or 6 turns a run I was getting the real good goods at El Colorado.

The three tracks on the right are all mine. I guess everyone else was scared of rocks. Real Good Goods

Moguls/chop: They were fine in the little moguls that with there. They were pivoty and nimble. They will probably be a little cumbersome in North American trench moguls but I would imagine totally manageable. As for chop, they were just plowing through it. But that’s to be expected from a stiff ski with no so extreme rocker. No tip flapping or skis slamming on the brakes because the tips catch up on snow mounds. Just good stable skis once again. But like on the groomers, they could be very snappy side to side it you worked them. Really responsive, far from Mack trucks.

Crud: I just went out for a 3rd day and the conditions at El Colorado were springtime, and the off piste was semi frozen crud. The skis behaved well. They weren't really damp, but didn't snag up during fast turns. The more just bounced around a little bit.

Air: Didn’t air any cliffs because the takeoff were all barely covered cheese graters of rock, but did air off of a few rocky mound booters with speed, but was never more than 10 feet off the ground, they super solid landing platforms. I’m excited for bigger airs to come. They seem like pure stompers. Airs off rollers on groomers were smooth too, you could Ollie the skis for sure, but really had to load the tails because they’re so stiff. Did some 360s on a jump in the valle nevado park. Swing weigh was good on the recommended mount. That was where I ripped my binding out. Bummer.
    Update: El Colorado park and mini jumps around the mountain. Did some little 360s and the swing weight was definitely manageable. Then the was a section of the mountain were the groomer runs across the mountain and the side is rest of the slope comes in, creating a big bank. A track going along this slope about 15 feet above the groomer created a good distinct lip, step up style. With speed from the groomers I was getting some wicked step-up, airplane turns. Skis popped well off the lip actually create some explosive air power.

Switch: Skied fine on groomers switch. In the park I got snagged up and flipped backwards on too tight of a tranny. I don't think you could consider them real twin tips, but they'll suffice in a pinch. Carving backwards was a little challenging because I had to lay them over pretty good, had to put myself out on a limb a little. They always came around though.

Conclusion:
    Super versatile skis. I couldn’t really believe how snappy skis this straight and stiff could be on hard pack. They were real carvers. Overall I was just really impressed with the design and the actual ride of the skis. Solid purchase.
    Last edited by JRainey; 09-08-2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Updated Air, Crud and Switch section.

I heard somewhere that the early Renegade's from last spring were much stiffer than final product, any info on that?

Thanks for the extensive review JRainey, sounds like they are powerful and predictable. Can't wait to get on these in a few months.

im pretty interested to try these out, any WA mags got a pair on order that they would let me hop on for a few runs?

Hey ncwskier, we should be back up to Baker cause it's a La Nina year. Will let you know, I got a 310 BSL
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I've read the same thing in magazine tests about the S7s - which many here would agree carve like a slalom ski... as far as powder skis go... But yes, compared to an actual slalom ski, the S7 is difficult on groomers.

What were they saying about other pow skis in terms of versatility? Were they wieners in general or specifically negative about this ski?
    Even if they tend to not write that much about every ski, that magazine, Åka Skidor, have made some good tests during the years. Normally they seem to catch the spirit and performance of each ski pretty accurate I must say. I was actually a tester in their team in the big mountain category some years ago for a couple of weeks, but I had to step out because of a thorn knee, unfortunately. I was still long enough to see that the testing is serious and that the skis are well taken care of and the skis are serviced after each testing session. The testing period is about one month and during this time of the season you normally encounter all kinds of conditions in Åre, Sweden, where they test the skis.

I don´t have the magazine in front of me, but as I can remember, they have a quite reliable way of descibing powder skis in groomed conditions. For example the Kuro was said to be excellent in the pist for its size. The same is for Katana who was the overall winner of the test you could say. It was said to absolute rip the groomers, and anyone who have tried the latest version of the Katana know that that is truly an amazing ski when it comes to versatility. I don´t know if it still breaks easily, but it for sure skis excellent.

The review from JReiney was more like I expected. The statement of that it is really floaty dont make sense to me. A burly and stiff handmade ski from a company with good reputation with this kind of rocker and sidecut SHOULD be a versatile partner on the mountain, atleast in theory. So I am happy hear that you found it to be just that.

Alright, my thoughts after my first day on them...

Stats: 25 years old, 5'8" 175 lbs., used to race
    Other skis I've liked: S7, Rossi RC 112, Kastle MX 108s, Salomon Rocker, Bent Chetler, Czar
    Conditions/Terrain: Whistler/Blackcomb, skied out pow, groomers both soft and icy, rain crust in the trees, bumps, some patches of untracked wind transfered pow but nothing very deep
    Mounted at 88 cm from the tail (-5), feels perfect so far.

Thoughts:
    Wow!
    My go-to ski last year was the 188 S7, versatile, nimble and able to hold an edge. I could grab them on any given day and know I'd be fine. I was missing having that ski in my quiver but, much to my surprise, the Renegades should fill that role.

Probably the most unique feature of how these ski is the turn initiation. I played around with this at first on groomers but my comments apply to all terrain and conditions. Because the farthest forward contact point is so close to underfoot, moving forward to drive the tips as you would on a normal ski engages a point much farther back. It takes some getting used to to know that you can trust them and that you have managed to build a solid platform before tipping them on edge. Once on edge, they are rock solid and rip like a GS ski, definitely more solid than my S7s.

Also, it's hard to describe but the lines between carving and sliding turns are quite blurred. You can rail turns like on a normal ski but then make small adjustments to your radius at any point, but there's no real on or off the edge feeling like on traditional skis. I think this is because the more the ski is tipped over, the more edge is touching the snow, vs. a traditional cambered ski where as soon as the ski is tipped over, the entire edge is making contact. They bring a very real meaning to the term "slarve," whereas on other skis you either slide or carve. I'd imagine you'd get this feeling on reverse-reverse skis in pow, but the sidecut underfoot adds these characteristics to harder conditions as well.

I can't comment float since I didn't ski anything very deep, but in the untracked spots I hit, the ski felt completely frictionless, devoid of the tip and tail hookiness felt on most skis, even on rocker-camber-rocker models. Not having to engage the tips to start a turn works wonders in anything soft, especially crud and chop, leading to a very predictable and responsive ride. I was able to go from a straightline to laying the skis over into carves and not having to worry about catching or being shot somewhere I didn't want to go. They also kill the chop due to their stiffness. I had some Hoji-esque moments, at least according to me.

While these are rockered/reverse, they are by no means a ski you can relax on and will take you for a ride if you're not on your game. Unlike the S7, which is a gamechanger for advanced skiers looking to get to the next level, the Renegades demand a more solid skill set. These seem to me like a modern design for those who like the stiffest, chargiest of skis (Squad/XXL, etc.). If you have been holding off on a fully rockered ski because you felt they were too wimpy and skied too short, these are for you. These do not feel short at all (I would say they probably compare more to the 188 RC 112s than the S7s I had last year). You can't quite wiggle through trees like the S7, preferring more deliberate slides. This may change in softer snow, though.

Overall I'm thrilled to have these. I was looking for something that combined the best of my S7s and RC 112s, and these seem to be it, blending an ideal mix of maneuverability and stability. These are definitely a pow ski and I have other skis for lower snow days, but these are incredibly versatile and will let you have fun any day. If he makes a narrower version, I would pick them up as an all-mountain ski in a second.

I'll add more details once I have a decent powder day. If there's anything I didn't cover, ask away and I'll try to answer...
    Last edited by D(C); 12-20-2010 at 07:48 PM.

sounds like they worked in crap conditions and they performed. Great to know they can excel in crap. Can't wait to ski mine. Would have been fun in mammoth last weekend. I will report on mine after January trip
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Any comments on the fit and finish or build quality?
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

There's about 50 pairs sitting in my shop right now getting their factory tunes. One of their guys was in this morning to check on their progress. I asked if all of them were spoken for and he said yes for the most part. Shame, they're gorgeous skis.

Yes, finish is insane. Wood sidewall is gorgeous.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I'd have to agree with was DC said about the how long it skis, after a day back on my LL1s. The renegades are much less pivoty, even in powder, but more stable times 10. Again, I'm 150lbs so bigger dudes probably wont feel it. Less damp though for sure, with the stiffness if you hit a mogul you have to be ready for it and suck up the impact with your body, or just find trannies. More jarring when you're tired. Conversely on groomers you can chill and haul ass with no sketchiness regardless of your energy level, here the stiffness holds its own.

Just got ship notice, Christmas is early on the 23rd. Sweet
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Do want.

Mine just arrived. Initial thoughts:

-Super burly. Stiff, very balanced feeling hand flex
    -Fit and finish is very good
    -the sidecut and rocker are both very straight IE. These aren't clown shoes
    -Colours are much richer in person than in pictures

On paper, they look like the perfect ski for me. I wouldn't change anything. We'll see how they ski next week.
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

My review: skiied one day at local resort mount Baldy.
    6-2 180 lbs a young 42 like to go fast and ski trees with small 5-15 drops
    Skis I currently ski: Lhasa 191, DPS 112, benchetler 192 and Renegade with FKS 180 mounted at 88 from tail at din 10 with Seth full tilts
    Conditions were the definition of variable: 23 degrees sunny after 6-8 of heavy snow
    Pockets of powder, fast groomers, ice, zipper crust and chop/crud
    Review: Super stable even at 186 with -5 mount. Made short and long fast turns on groomers in the morning. Actually a blast on the groomers, so easy to ski, just roll ankles and go, any turn shape is possible. We skiied chop, zipper crust and pow after a few runs. Real fluid, stable and so quick to turn. Was really glad about the length and mount in chutes and tight spaces. Great edge hold and able to sideslide anything but pure ice cubes. Can't wait to ski true pow and will repot back after Januaury pow trip.
    Props to Hoji and 4frnt for creating an amazing do it all ski. Won't ever fear when pow days turn to crud and groomers when I bring the Renegades.
    A versatile ski that is perfect for variable conditions.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

they arrived at the skistop in banff. Yes we HAVE them in person....

http://www.theskistop.com/contact_us.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    Mine just arrived. Initial thoughts:

-Super burly. Stiff, very balanced feeling hand flex
    -Fit and finish is very good
    -the sidecut and rocker are both very straight IE. These aren't clown shoes
    -Colours are much richer in person than in pictures

On paper, they look like the perfect ski for me. I wouldn't change anything. We'll see how they ski next week.
    Finally got home from the holidays and picked mine up, agree with the above, construction and finish is amazing on these things. Getting them mounted up tomorrow and will ski Wednesday and post some thoughts. Pretty damn excited.