Page 52 of 110 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2738
    I didn't say it was a good plan, but ralph owns/runs the hill, and can do what he wants.

I think the lack of xtrm terrain, bad vib for the staff/locals, the lack of bus transport, etc, all will hurt SSV and send the skier visits down to the 90's, but again it is his hill, and he can do what he wants to.

Anyone remember when SSV was the flat power hill, and LL had all the hype? Rap films, people cared about the LL downhill, 210 team skis, and sun pits at Temple. Ya, maybe this is the start of the pendulum or popularity swinging back the other way.
    and the Lake sure has been skiing well for the past few days.. Not much can top that area, when they have snow and open terrain...
    maybe time to buy a big3 pass again....

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I didn't say it was a good plan, but ralph owns/runs the hill, and can do what he wants.
    i think we're in agreement. all i wanted to say is that the big city minions support the maintenance of features that the select few enjoy. just like the hordes of people paying for park entrance just to see the chateau of lake louise pay for all of us who go camp in wilderness areas. yet the "select few" are the ones that make the news.

From the CBC article comments:

PS - Firby can't even ski..., he should be working at a mall or something!!
    Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...#ixzz1BWrMAXAR
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

so, from the little tidbits i gather, the guys were fired because they caught the grandson of whatshisname skiing in closed terrain and yanked his pass. the guy whose pass was yanked then took the high road through hill management (and, presumably, a great facebook campaign) to get back at the 'trollers.

false? close, but no cigar?

mntlion, for the sake of gossip, do share the banff rumours.

Some stoke from today to drive out the bad taste...

True... but lets hope that bites him in the ass....

He can do what he wants, but as an Employer he has responsibilities to his staff and as a public venue he has responsibilities for the safety of the guests.

I'm sure someone who got injured today will be along with a story in the paper soon....

So.... Was the Scurf kid thing what led to Rowan & Co being turfed or is that an entirely different matter?

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    Some stoke from today to drive out the bad taste...

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by bakers_dozen View Post
    "From what we've seen staff morale at Sunshine is excellent. We don't know of any morale issues,"

in other words "ship is sinking according to plan, there's sufficient water for all involved".

Wow, the management at Sunshine is making the management over at RCR look like angels (for the record I have no problem with RCR but I know a lot of people like to bitch about them ).

Video of January 15 at KH, by the non-mag I was skiing with.

resume hating on ShitShowVillage
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Some day very soon, students in a classroom studying Public Relations 101 will read a case study on how not to deal with a PR disaster. They will read about the head marketing flunky at a ski resort called Sunshine Village who failed spectaculary when faced with a crisis. Channeling the memory of Richard Nixon, this corporate mouthpiece resorted to the cliched tactic of deny, deny, deny.

"There was no job action today! A couple of ski patrol just phoned in sick."

"The firing of several staff with decades of service had nothing to do with nepotism by a resort owner, anyways, that is a personnel matter and something we will not discuss in public."

"We don't have a staff morale problem at Sunshine! It's like a fucking Kumbaya singalong every single day."

"There is nothing else to say, so please excuse me as I need to make sure the dishwasher from the day lodge kitchen is ready to do avalanche control first tomorrow morning as instructed. God forbid he screws up or he will be out on his ass."

"Oh, all 12 lifts definitely in full operation tomorrow. (Subject to last-minute adjustments.)

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Video of January 15 at KH, by the non-mag I was skiing with.
    nice! i'm going to repost this...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Wow, the management at Sunshine is making the management over at RCR look like angels (for the record I have no problem with RCR but I know a lot of people like to bitch about them ).
    I dunno, RCR marketing are currently reporting 80cm new snow on the hill after the 3 days of rain and everything frozen so solid that about 20% of the mountain is open... and here's today's snow report too!

Quote Originally Posted by toiletduck View Post
    I dunno, RCR marketing are currently reporting 80cm new snow on the hill after the 3 days of rain and everything frozen so solid that about 20% of the mountain is open... and here's today's snow report too!
    ^^ Look what the cat dragged in?!..... How the fuck are ya TD?.... Hows your umbrella holding up down there?

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    so, from the little tidbits i gather, the guys were fired because they caught the grandson of whatshisname skiing in closed terrain and yanked his pass. the guy whose pass was yanked then took the high road through hill management (and, presumably, a great facebook campaign) to get back at the 'trollers.

false? close, but no cigar?
    the scurfield kids have been doing that for years, nothing new. They have "worked" & been "fired" from numerous departments.

i feel i must reiterate my support for the lake-louise-lowdown way of resort marketing: straight-shooting and to the point, by the people behind the lines who do the actual work. i can live with not having a "perfect day" every time i'm at a resort.

more days at louise than ssv for me this year so far. first time ever. seems to be working.

Snow conditions: Powder

Hahahaha...
    Looking for the next turn..

Loving the tug of war on Facebook between the Scoobi Doo guy posting a supposed quote from Taylor Scurfield, and I assume SSV. Keeps posting the quote, then it gets removed. Up, down, up, down.....

as an Employer he has responsibilities to his staff and as a public venue he has responsibilities for the safety of the guests.
    Damned straight.

see if the patrol is feeling better today...

just something missing in this picture. all the Jr scurf stuff aside, why fire 80 years experience? mid season? what is the plus side for SSV/Ralph. This is just not good for business, let alone moral. Must be something high up, behind the management door, that we dont know about....

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    see if the patrol is feeling better today...

just something missing in this picture. all the Jr scurf stuff aside, why fire 80 years experience? mid season? what is the plus side for SSV/Ralph. This is just not good for business, let alone moral. Must be something high up, behind the management door, that we dont know about....
    OOOORRRRR the whole family is just a bunch of bull headed self absorbed fucking dicks. The first and simplest answer is so often proven to be the right answer.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

why fire 80 years experience? mid season? what is the plus side for SSV/Ralph.
    This is the question really..... If he just wanted to shake things up a little then wait till the summer. To do this mid-season means there was something else going on.

I heard rumours that the terrain openings were too conservative (there was no snow after all) and of course when the race is on to open and start charging full whack... Ops v Management.... but I wrote that off as a too simple a rumour, that there must have been something else. Maybe the owner didn't feel like he had control of his hill anymore?

I cant wait to see the next installment of this soap opera.

Now that the 'trollers have made their point and got the pr machine rolling, I hope things can settle a little and no other staff get shown the door.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    true, but then pair this with all the big deal about the dive, wild west and silver city a few years ago -- the "extreme terrain" openings were the things that put SSV on the map in so many skiing magazines. it was the talk of town outside of canada, really. "rival to whistler".

was this all a temporary fad fuelled by the "extremo skiing" wave of the late 90's/early 00's? do you expect SSV to go back to wolverine and standish+angel? and catering to a few thousand weekend goers? their skiing numbers have been steadily climbing. surely that's worth a few patrollers' salary? what's not worth its salary is the facebook/new media marketing department...

After Moynihan left SSV the new marketing director wanted to push family skiing again. That next season SSV stopped marketing their expert terrain and stopped giving out passes for marketing purposes so the local pro skiers, snowboarders and photogs stopped going there. I haven't been back to the hill since. Guess they can even fire people who don't get paid....

Anyways, found a way better hill in the meantime....it's called Whistler!

Wink

What I can't believe is that Shadam hasn't come along and called us all bitches again for posting about this. The guy is slipping.