Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    If anyone is up for hunting down some turns tommorrow PM me. Less talk, more do.

Had a failed attempt at French yesterday. We had a bit too late of a start, and the trail is blocked pretty bad from fallen trees/brush. Hopefully we'll get another go at it next weekend, or maybe a quick trip up to Rae. Any updates on the current conditions at Rae?

Some of the Golden crew and I are considering a Parkers Ridge mission on Sunday. Anyone have some beta?
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I don't think there will be near enough, especially since by the weekend it is supposed to warm up and get sunny again. And parks really discourages skiing there until there is more than 30cm of base so the ground cover doesn't get damaged. And lets face it, if there isn't at least that much settled snow, you are going to be doing more damage to your skiis than to the foliage.

Yeah, no way would Parkers be ready. It was bare ground everywhere is the Rockies up to 9,000 feet a week ago, and it really has only snowed a bit since then.

Look at the web cams for Sunshine, Temple Lodge at Louise, and Marmot. Parkers is similar elevation at 7,000 feet.

BNP trail report from Monday says hiking conditions at Parkers are "good/fair, wet/muddy, with snow at higher elevations."

Unless you want to do some glacier skiing, the best bet is to jump in the car and head for the Tetons.

Agreed, Parkers is unlikely. I was up at Bow Hut on Saturday and there was nowhere near enough snow unless glacier skiing was the name of the game. It was boot top snow in places, but only where it had accumulated due to the wind. It was still mainly rocks and scree above treeline and the snow below alpine was melting quickly by mid-day.

same beta from west selkirks (we don't have a thread yet)... good glacier skiing but nothing else yet...

Well, shit.

It is puking in Montana right now. (At parents house for the week) People are making turns all the way to the base at Big Mtn. 14 inches last night at the base.

Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by repete View Post
    Hey Sentinel, wanna head up the Rae? I've been watching the radar all day and I'm sure there's at least 10-15cm of new snowfall.
    I can't be right all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Guy View Post
    I was up at Bow Hut on Saturday and there was nowhere near enough snow unless glacier skiing was the name of the game.
    I think we past each other on the trail. Me and T2C where coming down and you and another going up. I think you mentioned debating whether to bring your skis or not but could have been someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    I can't be right all the time...
    I've been waiting for you to point out I was foolish enough to follow you. To quote Obi Wan: who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him? I still somehow had fun for the day. Plenty of work for me for the time being, I think I'll wait for some more snow to land before heading out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Guy View Post
    Agreed, Parkers is unlikely. I was up at Bow Hut on Saturday and there was nowhere near enough snow unless glacier skiing was the name of the game. It was boot top snow in places, but only where it had accumulated due to the wind. It was still mainly rocks and scree above treeline and the snow below alpine was melting quickly by mid-day.
    We came out from Bow Hut on Saturday. You guys probably passed the 3 of us as we were on the way out?? We had skis on our pack and were the only ones up there that morning as far as I know.

Some conditions. Went to Highwood this morning, didn't bother going up to Rae as cover was looking pretty sketch. Same deal at the Highwood parking lot. Ended up heading up to Robertson instead. The glacier was showing all blue ice up close with the exception of the final 150ish metres to the col. Looked much snowier from the flats, and looks were deceiving. Basically took the gear for a long walk. Watch out for crazy agro moose mothers.

Had some decent turns up on the Wapta on Friday. At the time there was only average of about 20cm ontop of the ice. We probed the shit out of our line up and stuck very close and tight to it on the ski down.

Parkers ridge would be a waste of time IMO without significant snowfall. Last I saw it was on the 16th and there wasn't much there, and it's been plenty warm since then.

Seems any turns are going to be above 2500+ish metres on glaciers that aren't littered with rocks. Catch 22 as any glaciers are going to have all of the early season sketch glacier hazards...

Good news is it's been snowing most of the day. Hopefully it continues as we definately need it. Bring it on for fuuuuuuuuck sakes. Going to try some thing again on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    I think we past each other on the trail. Me and T2C where coming down and you and another going up. I think you mentioned debating whether to bring your skis or not but could have been someone else.
    Yeah that was me, too bad we got skunked on snow. I had been following the weather for Field and I had some pretty high hopes that there might be some turns to be had up there but no luck.

Good on you guys for actually getting some turns up on the Wapta, it seems like an overnight at Bow would have been the best bet.

Snow-making equipment in the village area?

14days.... Someone must be getting twitchy!

I guess SSV can't advertise as all natural snow anymore? Although in recent years they have been using snow-making more and more on the upper ski out.

Edit: I guess it's "Canada's Best Snow" they use for their marketing slogan now.

Shhh, they use that gun to blow snow on the OSL roof and picnic tables every night.

I think they admitted that last year...... But as you say it was only on the ski-out:

So what we gonna call the WROD at SSV?

Nakiska was blowing all day and was close to joining the white dots on Mapmaker...... Lake Louise was still looking "patchy"..... Anyone seen the state of Norquay?

I may take my fats out on Frozen thunder for a comedy skate......

Sunshine's been using snow guns on the ski out and waterfall run for a few years now. It has been limited use although that does appear to be a new piece of equipment in the webcam. Nothing but cloud and sun in the forecast

20c in Calgary by next Wednesday. Don't put the mountain bikes away yet.

I see Nakiska has given up on an Oct opening and is now saying Nov. 6.

^^Yeah they covered the opening date on their roadside ad today with a Nakiska card sign...... dont think they wanted to change it again, and again......

Still after this Chinook, the temps will tumble and Ullr will piss on us...... not sure if that's good or bad......

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post

I may take my fats out on Frozen thunder for a comedy skate......
    Nope, it's pretty much done too. Stay on the bike for now.

so no need for me to drive home from the bike trip yet? vegas and gooseberry for a few more days.

any word/info on the HS at SSV? odds are against boot packing starting on monday?

Unless boot packing starts when they have 10 cm up on Divide, I don't think you need to hurry back.

Well...looks like another looong walk with the skis again.

Looks like a November 1 rain crust might be on the way for BC...