Bamboo, fragile???

not like you'd think...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRBbsOJQrSE&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Oyster bamboo fly rod durability test.mp4[/nomedia]

damn... Is this pretty typical for all bamboo rods?
    the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal

jesus christ those are some expensive rods, are there any high quality bamboo rods with, ummm, much smaller price tags?

Ceiling fan test? I want to see a car door test.

as far as I know, that is typical for a bamboo rod blank...but I'm not willing to try any of that with mine. The ceiling fan test was an eye opener, wonder how it would fare w/ guides on it though? Would give something for the fanblades to grab onto...

pricing, yeah, those Oyster's are pricey, but you can get into a decent quality cane rod for $600/700 and up, same ballpark as what you'd pay for a high end plastic rod.

Car door test? I'd like to any rod survive that one..

For the past 40 years, my old man's been using the same bamboo fly rod to catch tarpon, barracuda, and marlin. I'd say that's another test on durability.

I got a brochure from Headwaters Bamboo rods a while ago. A lot more reasonably priced but beyond that I know nothing about them besides what the brochure and website said. I'd prolly own one of theirs if they made a 8wt.
    the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal