Page 42 of 82 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 2035
    Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
    Boot-pack locations at baker were established well well well before you guys even knew what snow was, and were the established means of transportation until marker dukes came out.
    That's right, because ski touring/skin tracks didn't exist before the duke or snowboard boot packs.

Dude's talking about the shuksan arm BOOTPACK, not ski touring around table, etc.

9000 ft, eh? fack. anybody want to go to muir on thursday? I don't, but...what else??? What's the approach down to the white salmon looking like? ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonf View Post
    Dude's talking about the shuksan arm BOOTPACK, not ski touring around table, etc.
    Exactly. It's traditionally a walking path. Only in the last few years have I seen people skin it.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonf View Post

9000 ft, eh? fack. anybody want to go to muir on thursday? I don't, but...what else??? What's the approach down to the white salmon looking like? ugh.
    Why are you still in the state!
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    http://cascadecrud.com/

Has most links in one place, I think the 5 day forecast is based on NOAA
    is it just me or does cascade crud seem to forecast more snow than noaa? throughout december that seemed to be the case. i like CC for it's layout and ease with which you can get info on several locations, however, when i'm getting into that mode where a storm is rolling in and I'm checking the telemetry and weather every hour, I tend to just rely on NOAA. plus you can utilize noaa for forecasts at different elevations.

just my $.02
    "snowboarding can be playing but to me it's more like living"
    -craig kelly

Quote Originally Posted by key-z View Post
    is it just me or does cascade crud seem to forecast more snow than noaa? throughout december that seemed to be the case. i like CC for it's layout and ease with which you can get info on several locations, however, when i'm getting into that mode where a storm is rolling in and I'm checking the telemetry and weather every hour, I tend to just rely on NOAA. plus you can utilize noaa for forecasts at different elevations.

just my $.02
    try my website out if you don't think cascadecrud is accurate. everything useful all in one place

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    You on 2010 Fat-ypus D-Senders?

I'm on the current ones with rocker and I think I talked to you in the c-6 lift line.
    Yep, that was me. Good to meetcha.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    bum93, your post needs to go in the stranger i saw u page.
    What's stranger than this place?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

doughboyshredder Guest
    yeah it does. Somewhere in the padded room.

DBS/FTW.

Damn, it sure is looking thin up here.
    I'm trying to figure out where the snow is going to come from to build the big quarter pipe for the Holy Oly.
    Plenty of snow could fall by then (here's hoping), but they'll need a lot at this point.

I was at Alpental last night for city league.
    When I got there the snow was pretty soft and slushy, but got firmer as it got later into the night. The skiing was really fun and pretty fast with tons of little hits all over the place. Near the bottom of chair 1, to the left of the chair if you're looking at it from on the chair, is a perfect little tabletop. You don't need as much speed as you'd think .

The recent and continuing weather is really starting to take a toll on the lower mountain however. The gaping pits are expanding, lots of smaller holes opening up with running water, rocks/boulders becoming exposed. The cat track from the top of chair 1 over to lower nash was closed, my guess is that its just to rocky right now to safely ski it. With the current forecast it's just going to keep getting worse for awhile, Mid 40's during the day, mid 30's at night.

If you're going up to Alpy for a night session anytime soon, bring your rock skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Koons View Post
    Amirite? Am I fuckin rite? Somebody testify. Gun held sideways. You want to meet up to ski? Eat a dick, worthless scum jong.

If you're going up to Alpy for a night session anytime soon, bring your rock skis.
    Don't the sound of that in Jan.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

anybody riding baker tomorrow and driving from bellingham? i can pitch for gas.
    "snowboarding can be playing but to me it's more like living"
    -craig kelly

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Exactly. It's traditionally a walking path. Only in the last few years have I seen people skin it.
    Never heard of Otto Lang have you?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Don't the sound of that in Jan.
    A headlamp might be useful too.
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    try my website out if you don't think cascadecrud is accurate. everything useful all in one place
    Nice website, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    A headlamp might be useful too.
    Yeah what's up with all the lights out, trying to save some cash on the electricity bill?

The conditons on the lower hill are best described as depressing.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    The conditons on the lower hill are best described as depressing.
    I think you are putting a happy face on this.
    This would be depressing for May...

Quote Originally Posted by IslandSnow View Post
    I was at Alpental last night for city league.
    When I got there the snow was pretty soft and slushy, but got firmer as it got later into the night. The skiing was really fun and pretty fast with tons of little hits all over the place.
    This was pretty much the exact conditions last night. Did a few runs at Alpental, and opted for Central to see if things were any better. Slushy due to the warmer temps, but froze up later in the night and was skiing fast. Lost of small, soft bumps to launch off. Lots of lights out, lots dirt, rocks, and trees poking out everywhere.

Pretty sad state of affairs for January.

In order to help combat a spring-laden, 7000ft freezing level, May weather regime, the Western Washington University Ski and Snowboard club will be hosting a free movie premiere of Dendrite Studios "Out of the Shadows" on Friday February 11th at 6pm in Fraser Hall 4 on campus. We highly encourage anyone interested in their film to come check it out. Attendance at this event will help gauge their interest in us hosting their film next fall.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/12283965"]Out of the Shadows Trailer - 2010 HD Ski Film by Dendrite Studios on Vimeo[/ame]

Seen it already? Bet you haven't seen it on a 20ft+ wide screen in an auditorium with a sound system.

Its winter why is there a movie premiere? We need to provide more stoke in times of dire hardship such as these high pressure systems. Relive that ooo and ahhh that is winter even though its 45 and sunny on the hill today!

I'm an old fart but never graduated from college/am stuck in a 9-5, can I see it? Absolutely! This will get you 1 credit closer to a shreducation in schralpology from Mt. Baker University!

Bottom line is this:
    If you live in the area, take a bus, find a carpool, bring some friends, a wineskin, maybe even mow the lawn and save the grass. Come show your support and have a good time watching a great flick! Save The Date! See You There!

Facebook Events and our website is how we get the news and updates out

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Never heard of Otto Lang have you?
    Actually, I have. What does Baker's first ski school and rope-tow have to do with hiking vs skinning the arm?

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    This was pretty much the exact conditions last night. Did a few runs at Alpental, and opted for Central to see if things were any better. Slushy due to the warmer temps, but froze up later in the night and was skiing fast. Lost of small, soft bumps to launch off. Lots of lights out, lots dirt, rocks, and trees poking out everywhere.

Pretty sad state of affairs for January.
    I was last at Alpental over a week ago. There were definitely holes, but most were easily avoidable. Is it that much worse now? Was Central any better? Kind of wanted to go up tonight to keep the legs in shape, but am having second thoughts.

It was the first time I had been up there all season (usually at XTal), so I dont know how it compares to last week.

Central seemed a little bit better. Most of the runs themselves had coverage, but the flatter runouts were where all the mess was.

Parachute and Triple 60 were fun when the bumps were soft, but turned nasty later in the night. Golden nugget was faaast all night if you could avoid the gapers in the choke point.

All it all, it was pretty damn fun just ripping around there and it was certainly better than not skiing. Still, kind of depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I was last at Alpental over a week ago. There were definitely holes, but most were easily avoidable. Is it that much worse now? Was Central any better? Kind of wanted to go up tonight to keep the legs in shape, but am having second thoughts.
    It is worse now, not waaay worse, but noticeably so.
    More snow has melted since you were last there, so more rocks, trees, dirt, etc are exposed.
    It's still plenty skiable, but I'm not bringing any skis that I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    All it all, it was pretty damn fun just ripping around there and it was certainly better than not skiing.
    This is the correct answer.

As a matter of fact, I just finished up all the stuff I had to do today so I'm heading up in about 15 minutes.
    I'll be in a black jacket, white pants, 4 year old public enemies, ask for change or say hi if you see me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Koons View Post
    Amirite? Am I fuckin rite? Somebody testify. Gun held sideways. You want to meet up to ski? Eat a dick, worthless scum jong.

Just got back from Alpy. Sun is out, and soft slushy bumps are fun. Anything that has not been skied recently is nasty mank, and things in the shadows (e.g., Nash) are firm, but the main runs are mostly ok. 54 degrees at the base parking lot when I left at noon. The top felt almost as warm.

The holes are indeed worse than last week, but as noted above not waaay worse. Damn though, it sure is looking thin up there.
    Are we part of the solution, or are we part of the pollution? -M.F.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Yeah what's up with all the lights out, trying to save some cash on the electricity bill?
    Downward spiral...