Page 14 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Just bought Dunlop Graspics studless from them. I'm laughing as I drive past everyone. Hahaha!
    Living vicariously through myself.

I have done the studless route for years, but this year, I decided to go with the studded Nokian Nordsman LT tires. Pretty damn happy I did. Grippy as hell like the Hakkapalita 5's but in a legit truck tire.

Studs are super quite too, as long as I am doing over 25mph, Cant notice them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    It was a chilly one this morning! That and really deep in spots.

In spots...

Quote Originally Posted by mastergaper View Post
    I'd imagine he's talking about the High Drive bluff on the south hill, I've skied it in years past but it was pretty sketch even in 18" of snow, I'd steer clear unless you have a pair of skis you hate.
    yep ^^ that pretty much nails it. its the hill to the east of highway 195. when it gets 2 feet on it there are some real nice drops down low were the sand bluffs are eroded from latah creek. just be carefull u dont ride into the creek. best if the creek is frozen over.

studded snow tires for pickups are stupid. Why would anyone ever want to compromise their doughnut performance in the parking lot for all the high school chicks? Also, they are ridiculously expensive. I bought an unmatched set of used bfg's from some sketchy russians who had a pile of tires in the woods and they work great, especially for the $60 bucks I payed for them! I am actually serious on this one
    smoke crack and worship satan

thats cool u got in good with the russians

nothing comes free or cheep with those peski russians.

One day you will receive a call, and one day you will have to do something in repayment.

I know, I am a russian.

Quote Originally Posted by powholic View Post
    Studded or just snow...I'm working on winterizing the Volvo 240 for Meadows laps. The clearance on the Prius is -2". volvo is a tank and much cheaper to fix if all goes wrong.
    studs. i drove a 240 for years. great ski car.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    studs.
    heres what I gotta say bout your studs
    you probably don't even ski Hoodoo anymore, let alone drive in snow.
    studded tires are for GAPERS!
    new skool winter tires rock!
    denied turns today but i'll be back out tomorrow

Yah, studs are for gapers. Been driving to the mts. to ski for 26 years in all kinds of cars from RWD musclecars to 2- and 4wd pickups and NEVER have used studded tires or gotten stuck. Learn to drive.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

i dont care if you rode a fucking moped to the hill for 26 years. traction tires (studs or whatever) make the drive a whole lot easier and safer.

i dont care if you rode a fucking moped to the hill for 26 years. traction tires (studs or whatever) make the drive a whole lot easier and safer.
    No.........

well shit if its gone to dick waving over car tires, I drove a 79 buick to snoqualmie for years, and I didn't have car rack so I put the my 205 skis between the seats balanced on the dashboard and hoped they would not cut my head off in an accident. Wait what the fuck were we talking about? Oh ya, headed up to the mountain tomorrow WHOOT WHOOT!

just to clarify
    iv had all-seasons on my awd car (with traction control and abs) the past 3 winters and yes ive been totally fine, but running studs on my old 240 turbo and 300e benz felt a LOT more solid overall on any type of snow and ice (aside from starting from a stop).

you guys talk like you have never experienced the difference between the two. its like fat skis, i dont need them , they just make it easier/better.

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco View Post
    well shit if its gone to dick waving over car tires, I drove a 79 buick to snoqualmie for years, and I didn't have car rack so I put the my 205 skis between the seats balanced on the dashboard and hoped they would not cut my head off in an accident. Wait what the fuck were we talking about? Oh ya, headed up to the mountain tomorrow WHOOT WHOOT!

65 GMC P/U w/ 210's ACROSS the bed to fit.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

studs. i drove a 240 for years. great ski car.
    Bought a pair, non russians, on 14" volvo rims for $70 bucks. Nearly all the studs still on and tred looks great. Do I need 4 or will 2 on the back do me fine? I'm figuring 4 is best if I want to turn..if straight lining only need 2.

I know I can make it on normal tires or winter tires, I grew up in Minnesota driving second hand tires...I'm just wondering what's best. Studs seem like cheating/damaging to the roads, but if it's better/safer for everyone what's the issue? 240 will be my mountain car, use my wives car as needed around town.

Anyone want to ride share Sat or Sun to Meadows? I'm on the side of sharing your space, gas money contributor. I've got to start packing for an in-town move. No time to rig up the tank for winter driving.

PM me

Looks pretty solid this weekend!

it's all about the long track now
    still a lil thin on this butte
    snowing, 6" tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    In spots...
    Take a walk on the wild side

Quote Originally Posted by powholic View Post
    Do I need 4 or will 2 on the back do me fine? I'm figuring 4 is best if I want to turn..if straight lining only need 2.
    all 4 for sure.

looks nice shralp-> you still shooting nikon?

stevens gonna open wednesday

I happen to know for a fact that I'm the best driver in the Pacific Northwest.

OK back that claim up just go buy a couple 1985 awd toyota corrolas or 1990 subby's and ill race u from the oxbow campground on the OP (in a snowstorm) to Bridger.

if u beat me ill buy u a beer.

want to get out monday, plans with guide splitboarder friend/coworker for carpool from seattle to baker or crystal area. pm if want to join.

Looking for a ride up to meadows tomorrow from Portland . I'm in south west but can meet you elsewhere if easier. My ride bailed and I'd appreciate any help. PM me. Thanks!