Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82
Results 2,026 to 2,035 of 2035
    Custom Boot Service provides the most comprehensive and effective boot fitting that I have ever seen/experienced. I highly recommend the guy.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Larry Schick can juggle my balls with his tongue.

Fuck him and his jinxy bullshit.

I've had good experience working with some of the guys at Evo. They do a good job with mounting and will bend brakes within reason.The shop does get slammed when the king5 news team hypes the shit out of the winter, and they get voted the best shop in washington. They were talking about 2 week lag time for a mount.

X2 for Martin Rand at Crystal.
    That said, Jim mates (CBS) has been around for forever.
    Bottom line, the few people who haven't been happy have been vocal, they are also very much the minority. He's literally fit thousands of boots over the years for many, very happy customers.

I know plenty of folks that have been happy with the work Jim Mates has done, but it didn't go well for me.... my gripes are as follows... I asked for his pricing upfront so I knew how much to expect an appointment would cost, he refused but said lets just take a look the issue i'm having with the boot..i figured i was in for a quick evaluation, then we'd talk about what he wanted to do and pricing... 30 mins later and minimal work done, he wanting something around $50-60 (which of course i paid). I don't expect free service, but when a dirtbag climber asks for pricing up front, having the service provider dump a sizeable bill on ya doesn't seem like a good way to get repeat business.

I took my boots there just to get the toe boxes blown out for a pair of boots I was taking to Denali...he was critical of my request and wanted to do an elaborate set up of shims and new expensive orthotics to give my toes more room. I let him put the shims in, skipped the $$$ orthotics (i already had some that were just fine), and the setup didn't work for shit...still needed more toe room.

I imagine Jim Mates is fine if you're wanting a performance fit and let him go through his whole process, but for a quick tweak, I found it really frustrating.

I went to Sturts a few weeks later... cheap, courteous, did exactly what I wanted...

Martin isn't at Sturts anymore, but their replacements have been well trained by Martin and have done great work on my AT boots...cooking new liners, punching shells for bunions, replacing rivets, etc etc

back to snow in the PNW..... the Flett and Russell glaciers on the north side of Rainier still have some nice turns to be had...pretty suncupped and runnelled down low, but nearly continuous skiing back to the trail in Spray Park.

Last edited by Bud; 08-18-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    based on that, I think baker could go into the next season without having to wait for a storm...
    As of Sunday 8/14, Artist Pt. and Table are still skinnable from Heather Meadows. Herman Saddle is probably also do-able, but getting a bit thin and rocky below the saddle. Lake is also thinning, but not even close to melted out. Most aspects are heavily sun-cupped and/or runneled, but there's still tons of snow that should stick around for a nice early season base, especially around Ptarmigan Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    CW- Just started fly fishing. Love it. I know its not the fishing forum, but care to share which lakes you prefer to fish up high? Also, I can't catch shit on the bigger rivers around here. Trying the Nisqually tomorrow. If I come home skunked I'm sticking to the creeks from now on.

/rant
    Hey, sorry I didn't see this 'til now - pretty much stopped checking in on this forum for awhile.

Big rivers around here are tough and I haven't fished them much. I really prefer the smaller, higher mountain creeks. Smaller fish, but much more productive fishing and never any people around. I don't want to give away any secrets, but look for tributaries to bigger rivers like the Cascade, Skykomish & such that drain large areas and have multiple tributaries of their own and lakes feeding them.

Two bigger rivers that everyone knows about are the Entiat below Ice Creek and the Methow. Eastern WA fishing rules!

Just about any of the alpine lakes have fish in them. Some more and bigger than others. Stay away from anything close to I-90 and you should be golden. It's a tough game this year, some of the really cool high mountain lakes aren't even thawed yet in mid-August and I'm afraid there may be a lot of winter-kill this year.

I just got back from a 7 day trip into the North-Eastern Pasayten Wilderness area. Some good fishing in the lakes up around Cathedral & Remmel Mts. but the price of admission is a long walk in. I'm taking a buddy of mine and his boy up to my "secret" lake near Leavenworth in two weeks. I've been tracking the fish up there - they've been growing about 1.5"/year and should be in the 14" range now - lots of fun on ultralight gear. Pretty good for a 7000 ft. lake.

Okay, back to skiing. I need to get some August turns in. Thinking Baker or Rainier is the easy way to do it.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Cross Post

I figured this has a place in here, too. I love the PNW...

When in doubt...straighten 'em out.

joelbettner.blogspot.com

Managed to finally convince the girlfriend to join me on a tour. Did an easy skin up to Artists Point to take in some views and get some August 28th skiing in. All in all, not a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Jesse that's seriously f-ing awesome you got the Success. I've long wanted to ride that line. How was the rock step up high?
    Hi, Drew, and anyone else wondering. I just saw this and I really appreciate the props. We had a section in that top rock band that was a sliver of ice btwn rocks that required cramponing/ tools on the uphill and a little bit of a "huck" (by how it feels at 12-13 k standards) on the way down. It's the obvious section that looks like it cliffs out in the photo above.

That said, we did it in July, and even with the fat snowpack, I think this is a lot more accessible of a line than people always seem to say. Not as steep as I'd expected. The Kautz HW and other Success Glacier Couliors are the real gems in that zone in my opinion.