Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2035
    Thanks ncognico and have fun in the waves.

I put on my backpacking boots for the first time this last weekend. The high lakes are starting to thaw, time to get my fishing rigs tuned up for the season.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Nice work jesski. Impressive IMO.

Anita and I skied Silver Peak last night, the final vaca hurrah after bailing out a day early from a 4-day scramble trip in the Chelan Mtns due to bad weather. From Windy Pass, we hiked a bit up the PCT, then carried skis to the lower NW bowl, then skinned to the ridge. Turns can be had for awhile. Sun cups smoothing out a bit.

I didnt spend much time at Alpy this winter, so why not make some turns there on August 7th? A buddy of mine had mentioned he saw some snow hanging around, and thats all we needed.

After a 12:30 PM Alpine start and some bushwhacking, the line comes into view:

We ripped the shit out of this. Pretty damn smooth for August:

Hiking back out:

There is still quite a bit of snow in the Hannegan Pass area. As I was hiking out sans skis I passed Skibum_Roberts et al. on their way in for a weekend retreat of awesomeness. Their quivers ranged from Voile Insanes and Moment Belafontes w/ tele gear to Czars w/ Dukes and alpine boots. It's all about the down!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Thanks ncognico and have fun in the waves.

I put on my backpacking boots for the first time this last weekend. The high lakes are starting to thaw, time to get my fishing rigs tuned up for the season.
    CW- Just started fly fishing. Love it. I know its not the fishing forum, but care to share which lakes you prefer to fish up high? Also, I can't catch shit on the bigger rivers around here. Trying the Nisqually tomorrow. If I come home skunked I'm sticking to the creeks from now on.

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    I didnt spend much time at Alpy this winter, so why not make some turns there on August 7th? A buddy of mine had mentioned he saw some snow hanging around, and thats all we needed.

After a 12:30 PM Alpine start and some bushwhacking, the line comes into view:
    Nice. Last sunday it was all continuous. My night trains appreciated being skied in july.

hey PNW mags- I just moved into the thick of things here on Capitol Hill (didnt know what I was getting into). Anyone want to grab a beer or go for a hike? I am unemployed and looking for work so I am pretty free right now.

Quote Originally Posted by workinforturns View Post
    hey PNW mags- I just moved into the thick of things here on Capitol Hill (didnt know what I was getting into). Anyone want to grab a beer or go for a hike? I am unemployed and looking for work so I am pretty free right now.
    You sound like me exactly one year ago! (I've since moved a bit north.) Start thinking about that season pass.....

Quote Originally Posted by workinforturns View Post
    I'm about to be gone till the 23rd but I'll take you up on that sometime, simultaneously. Anyways where you skiing next year?

For those interested in weather forecasts, Cliff Mass has an interesting post today on the chances of La Nina happening this coming winter.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/0...ouble-dip.html

So at some point before the season I'm going to need to have a few things done... buy boots, have them fitted, have the brakes on my bindings bent a bit to fit my skis, have them mounted on said skis. And since I've never actually had any ski work done before (used to snowboard, and I'd just buy it from Kitsap Sports) I'm not sure where to go. Searches seem to say that Evo is basically the best choice, and they do have a nice selection of boots - does anyone know if their techs will bend bindings a bit? I would email them, but I'm having trouble finding an email for their shop on the website.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buranri View Post
    So at some point before the season I'm going to need to have a few things done... buy boots, have them fitted, have the brakes on my bindings bent a bit to fit my skis, have them mounted on said skis. And since I've never actually had any ski work done before (used to snowboard, and I'd just buy it from Kitsap Sports) I'm not sure where to go. Searches seem to say that Evo is basically the best choice, and they do have a nice selection of boots - does anyone know if their techs will bend bindings a bit? I would email them, but I'm having trouble finding an email for their shop on the website.

Thanks!
    Marmot Mountain Works ,Bellevue.
    http://www.marmotmountain.com/
    Pro-ski Service, Aurora.
    http://proskiseattle.com/
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....66512&comments

Skied Chinook Pass yesterday August 10th
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I am going to buy a pass to Alpental, i think that one that gives you 10 days to crystal.
    Also if my bank account lets me Ill be traveling around the pnw as much as i can.

workinforturns

if you want to do some hiking/running in the snoqualmie pass area let me know. i live at alpental and am always trying to enjoy my backyard.

Has anyone been up to the baker ski area recently? Hows the snow doing? are the lakes starting to melt out ?

Just got this email from Larry Schick who some here kinda scorn but I'll take good news where I can get it!

La Nina Watch issued!
    It's not as strong or as definitive as last year, but we may be leaning back toward La Nina!

also....

Due to the cool, cloudy and sometimes rainy/snowy spring and summer the snow has not completely melted above 5000ft here in the cascades - that is pretty rare.

Some areas are reporting their highest August 10 snow depth - snow will stop melting by September and already melt is slowing in higher elevations (and no heat waves in sight) so I expect carry over snowpack - this is how ice ages begin!

Another La nina update will be issued the first week of September

EL NIŅO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO)
    DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

issued by

CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS
    4 August 2011

ENSO Alert System Status: La Niņa Watch

Synopsis: ENSO-neutral is expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere fall 2011, with ENSO-neutral or La Niņa equally likely thereafter.

larry

49 Degrees North - Bluewood - Crystal Mountain - Hurricane Ridge - Leavenworth Ski Hill
    Loup Loup - Mission Ridge - Mt. Baker - Mt. Spokane - North Cascade Heli
    Stevens Pass - The Summit at Snoqualmie - White Pass

This email is powered by Ski Washington: PO Box 85, Newman Lake, WA 99025
    Copyright (C) 2011 All rights reserved

To unsubscribe, click here
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

based on that, I think baker could go into the next season without having to wait for a storm...

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    this is how ice ages begin!
    Yes it is.

but , what about global warming? There are some pretty smart people talking about this as a twenty year cycle of cold and wet.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    Has anyone been up to the baker ski area recently? Hows the snow doing? are the lakes starting to melt out ?
    I was across the way on Ruth on Saturday and it looked like there was still a ton of snow at the ski area/Table Mountain. There sure as hell was lots of snow on Ruth, albeit suncupped.

Quote Originally Posted by Buranri View Post

Thanks!
    From experience, I would avoid Custom Boot Service for boot work/insoles. From reading reviews, I would check out Sturtavants in Bellevue for boot work/insoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin* View Post
    From experience, I would avoid Custom Boot Service for boot work/insoles. From reading reviews, I would check out Sturtavants in Bellevue for boot work/insoles.
    2x..... didn't have a positive experience at Custom.... but Sturts does great work...taken several pairs of boots to them and always been happy.

I've always been super satisfied with both footbeds and shell work at Custom Boot Service. Haven't been to Sturtevants in a while, but the man responsible for much of their competent boot work and good will in the past (Martin Rand) now has his own shop at Crystal Mt.