Page 225 of 252 FirstFirst ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,625 of 6280
    Hope you ranch riders saved something. I'll be up Sunday to ride my favorite small mountain (and biggest Tahoe resort currently open).

Advice needed for late June/July

The wife offered to pay for my plane ticket out to Reno yesterday (we have seperate finances). She urged me to take advantage of the high snow and as she pointed out, "you aren't getting any younger."

The best price that I could travel on had me flying out June 28 and returning July 10. Car rentals through Alamo are very cheap ($11.50/day in Reno for a midsize).

My thinking is to travel down to the higher Sierras and sleep low and do long day trips up high.

So here is the question: How does the snow react to the high sun angles and the warm weather of mid-summer? Should there be good quality touring or will the heat turn the snow into an unpleasant mush and suncups with dirt covering the surface?

Whatever thoughts people have are appreciated.

Well I would assume that cat in january knows that both Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley are running lifts on July 2-4. That also means that skier traffic and grooming will offer skiing with fewer suncups and dirt.

Otherwise your assessment is right, there will be nasty suncups and dirt issues by that time of summer if weather remains warm. Just because the snow is 20 feet deep does not change that! You can minimize that by checking different exposures and going to higher angles.

Plenty of terrain in the high sierras that will offer better experiences....
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

tamarack peak area had some nice corn around 1030 am...

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    The best price that I could travel on had me flying out June 28 and returning July 10. Car rentals through Alamo are very cheap ($11.50/day in Reno for a midsize).
    that sounds a little late... probably be dealing with some cups, possible even on north facing...

Like gone2alpine mentioned, alpine and squaw are running lifts, and north facing carson pass could be pretty fun perhaps...

mammoth is open and running lifts with a camp in lee vining canyon a trip up to tioga could be pretty fun as well...

the road through the park should be open by then so you could check out the skiing and if it sucked, head on down to the valley (yosemite) if you haven't been... still sounds like a nice trip to me...

kirkwood is also open the fourth. it was a blast last year.
    the touring should still be excellent up high in the sierra_. be nice if saddlebag lake road is open, but i have doubts.

so you're saying your wife will be free from the 28th - 10th, and she has her own finances.
    pics? i may have to visit tahoetrash ion norway (maine).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

^^^^ More on KW. Chair 5 & 6. Not that 5 gets you anywhere special, but that makes me believe they will make sure you can ski top to bottom, where last year included a fair amount of down hiking unless you exited the White Ribbon of Drain.

Some of the patch skiers in these parts claim that you can find smooth patches late in July, so either they are full of it, or if you go around the right corner you can find it. PM Vets or Dookey67 for typical July surface conditions.
    Last edited by Ottime; 06-15-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Hit up DSR today with some annoying 2 year old. He wouldn't let me do runs on my own...the nerve of some people.

Perfect day for us. No people, had the easy terrain all to ourselves including.....the MAGIC CARPET!!! I know, you would think there would be a line on that thing, but nope, we just jumped right on each time!

Me'n Corky and my buddy Zach hit up Rose bright and early today (7 a.m.). Lapped Pioneer Glades/Gold Run area down to Mine Train, then boot-packed over to Nightmare Chute. Did that scenario 2X before my buddy Zach split. Then Corkster and me did it a third time before one final lap up and shred down Northwest. Pretty solid day which ended around 3 p.m. and was topped off with Newcastle Browns and Alaskan Whites.

666er, they had the carpet running today? Nice.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

DSR is expecting a promotion TR from 666er. They only run the carpet for VIPs. I saw 666er jr riding with dad while i ate lunch. After lunch I headed carpet-ward, planning to complete my DSR tour by riding all three open lifts. Alas, it was not running - I attribute this to my lack of VIP status.

Snow skied pretty nice, had some surface freeze in the morning. Day softened quickly, but still ran fast near trees or where scraped off by other skiers. Some tailgunning required in afternoon. I might have a shot of Ranch-gnar, watch for developing news - it's on film(!,wtf?).

Found a couple fun runs I want to yap about, but post is getting long.

Fine...here are some Donner Ski Ranch Epic Shots:

A high alpine lake...

Splenda Bowl...

Equal Bowl....

Chair 2 at Donner...

Runs all to ourselves...

Last run down the front on Chair 1.....STEEP!

^sick

is anybody heading up from the bay this weekend that might be interested in giving a buffoon a ride?

i live in san jose, but i can meet you wherever. i'm looking to get to truckee or squaw.

gas is on me and i don't need a ride back...
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Runs all to ourselves...

You've already got him skiing in a hoody. Like father, like son.

Might be a last minute call based on how the weather pans out, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for radiational and evaporative cooling going on Friday and Saturday nights. Thinking maybe morning laps at KW just for plain ease of access. Anyone been back Blue Lakes way yet?

Anyone game for some morning missions Saturday or Sunday? Vets???

Also does anyone have any rockered skis mounted for about 307 BSL you might let me borrow for a single run? I've been itching for ski turns (yes, I actually just said that) and I don't think my fully cambered skis are going to be as easy or fun to drive in the funky manky possibly corn bumpy snow as a rockered setup.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

My 112RPs are in Redwood City....
    not counting days 2016-17

I got some beat up Lhasa 186 with Solly Demos currently setup at 305. In Incline, I could deliver to SLT on Sat afternoon or you're welcome to swing by prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Might be a last minute call based on how the weather pans out, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for radiational and evaporative cooling going on Friday and Saturday nights. Thinking maybe morning laps at KW just for plain ease of access. Anyone been back Blue Lakes way yet?

Also does anyone have any rockered skis mounted for about 307 BSL you might let me borrow for a single run? I've been itching for ski turns (yes, I actually just said that) and I don't think my fully cambered skis are going to be as easy or fun to drive in the funky manky possibly corn bumpy snow as a rockered setup.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

If you can swing by the factory, you can grab the 179 Lhasas, Alex.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

Schraph, I'm headed to the coast to go scuba diving this weekend.
    I still don't know about Blue Lakes. Yesterday, I went to Ebbetts with Dookey67. Amazing amount of soft-serve snow available there. TR upcoming.
    I have two pairs of 186 Lhasas mounted for a 306mm boot sole length. You are welcome to try them out. How about the following weekend?

Hey A, if the 5 offers above don't work out, come down to SC to pick up my Wrens. They may help alleviate that itch.

Interesting thought on the camber v rocker. I was planning on brining my rock skis (THA 187s) to KW for lift riding. Just thinking by then I won't want to clean up the Wrens after crossing what I assume will be mud patches. And I think the snow may be so far gone it will be past sticky manky, as it was last 4th.

If you do go to KW, send back a report

Shoot...I shoulda had Vets bring his Lhasas so I could shuttle 'em down to the Bay (I'm headed back tonight after we hit up some late afternoon schuss on Donner Pass).

Schralph: lemme know when you're headed up...I was gonna hang around the Bay this weekend, but I'd be down for a carpool, perhaps.

Unintentionally Ironic Line Choice of the Day: Poop Chute atop Donner Pass.

Me'n Vets hit it and it was Foster's Freeze soft serve delight around 3 p.m. (we got a late start plus ran into OneHotChili as he crested the pass on his road bike and chawed the fat a wee bit before we made the hike).

KW or CP on Sunday - it's the only day I've got - traveling for work in Tahoe via CP, and I think I can squeek out a morning session - PM me, yo
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I guess I could go Ebbetts...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I still have one of your poles.

heading out for some fool moon skiing on freel and jobs sister.
    yeeehaw!

holy firmness batman. skipped freel when we hit snow on the road way before we expected. refrozen snow at 7,800' at 11:00. we headed for ebbetts where it was a little better