Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IT mags: single client attachment prob

Oh knowledgeable IT geek mags:

I do freelance editorial work but am too small-time to have a website or employees, etc. I use generic email addresses: yahoo etc.

I've been able to receive and send semi-big (up to 25 meg) documents from and to a particular client (lots of people, but one single domain ending all their email addys) for 6 months or so, only to find out that at some point last week, they can't receive anything 4 megs or so or larger.

I don't mean they can't see an attachment or download it. They don't get the fucker at all. And I don't get a bounceback saying it's undeliverable. They get anything else I send them, so long as it's just an email message or a file in the <3meg range.

I've been told their tech guy looked into it and said it's my problem on my end. I'm skeptical. I can send these same exact files to pretty much everybody else I know, including business-class servers and generic accts. It seems like I'm getting blocked as a spammer, but they say no, not the case.

This is not just 1 account of mine. Get big fail from yahoo, hotmail, gmail.

Help me keep this very pissed-off client so I can ski this winter and not have to get a real job.

ideas?

who do THEY use.

Sounds to me like their end...have someone else send them a file.

Yahoo is 25MB attachements..still hasnt changed. Gmail is roughly the same.

Really sounds like their end if they cant get it. Does the mail go through to them sans attachment?

Can you send ANY other clients big files?

Don't know who they use. They're a bigger company in the Tech Center. Pretty sure they've got their own servers.

They say they can get attachments from pretty much anybody but me.

Never go above 25 megs, so I know that's not it.

My mail goes through to them sans attachments AND with small attachments (3 megs or below, seems like)

I sent these same problematic attachments to a few other folks (2 universities and 1 private acct) who got them no problem.

My initial thought was that it had something to do with their server blocking my generic (yahoo, hotmail, etc) domain as a spammer--but am stumped, they get stuff from me, just not the big stuff.

I'm not an IT guy by trade but have had to deal with this before and I would say it is most likely something on their end, especially if yahoo/gmail etc aren't sending you any error or bounceback messages and your other emails to them go through. The default web/it blow off excuse is "it's something on your end" when they don't want to say "I don't know." You could ask them who does their hosting and call to check with the company directly. Some hosting companies that have email attachment limits will set up ftp for large file transfer.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    Don't know who they use. They're a bigger company in the Tech Center. Pretty sure they've got their own servers.

They say they can get attachments from pretty much anybody but me.

Never go above 25 megs, so I know that's not it.

My mail goes through to them sans attachments AND with small attachments (3 megs or below, seems like)

I sent these same problematic attachments to a few other folks (2 universities and 1 private acct) who got them no problem.

My initial thought was that it had something to do with their server blocking my generic (yahoo, hotmail, etc) domain as a spammer--but am stumped, they get stuff from me, just not the big stuff.
    Yeah dude...if your attachments are going to others just not them...its either the format of the attachment or they are being restricted.

trust me its their end. try sending a 3mb file to them and then a 5mb file..im betting their being capped or some admin changed something that doesnt allow certain file types or sized.

This is VERY likely (if i was a betting man id say odds are VERY good its not you) their end.

As a short term work around you could set up a dropbox account and dump the files in there and your client could access them that way.

jgb@etree Guest
    For starters, you can disprove their 'theory' that the problem is on your end by sending a message to your contact & cc'ing another address on another mailserver. Since it'll get to the other address, you'll prove out (with about 99% certainty) that the issue is on the recieving end.

Assuming they are running MS Exchange, they set the max attachment size, but in a vanilla exchange setup you would get an NDR stating that the message was too large.

Chances are - since you don't get a NDR bounced back to you - that they've got a smarthost/anti-spam/anti-virus app that is picking off your message due to misconfiguration of their software. Much less common, but somewhat possible is that their mailserver is sitting behind a Cisco PIX or ASA that has the esmtp fixup command added to it's config, but that's less likely than the 1st scenerio.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    For starters, you can disprove their 'theory' that the problem is on your end by sending a message to your contact & cc'ing another address on another mailserver. Since it'll get to the other address, you'll prove out (with about 99% certainty) that the issue is on the recieving end.

Assuming they are running MS Exchange, they set the max attachment size, but in a vanilla exchange setup you would get an NDR stating that the message was too large.

Chances are - since you don't get a NDR bounced back to you - that they've got a smarthost/anti-spam/anti-virus app that is picking off your message due to misconfiguration of their software. Much less common, but somewhat possible is that their mailserver is sitting behind a Cisco PIX or ASA that has the esmtp fixup command added to it's config, but that's less likely than the 1st scenerio.
    Id tend to agree with all of this.

Id also ask them what size that "everyone" else is sending..maybe their under the cap?

As I said from the start..this problem is on the recipients end. Could be an overzealous admin? Could be a recent update to antivirus software, could just be a cap put in place cause they went over some allotment, BUT it is not your fault. I know i know...hard to say to the client, but...it is what it is.

Mad Max Guest
    For large attachments use sendspace.com. If someone sent me a 25mb file in an email I would punch them in their cocksucker.

if they truly are a "bigger company in the tech center" they should probably have an FTP server...

Me guesses that they arent as "big" as you thinks....

jgb@etree Guest
    Forgot to mention the #1 & #2 most likely culprits specifically:

GFI Mail Essentials (shitty mail security software)

and

Barracuda Anti-Spam Appliances

and

Blah sooo right on here 100%..though i love barracudas you have to watch them for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Id also ask them what size that "everyone" else is sending..maybe their under the cap?
    Apparently as big and bigger than my 15-20 megs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    If someone sent me a 25mb file in an email I would punch them in their cocksucker.
    Yes! What's funny is they seem to be put off by the hassle of using an external dump site. Click link, download, go back, scroll down, click link, rinse repeat. I can kind of understand: I might ship them two 15 meg docs that go with three 350kb docs, six times per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    if they truly are a "bigger company in the tech center" they should probably have an FTP server...Me guesses that they arent as "big" as you thinks....
    I know, I know. They're not 3M. By bigger I meant they ain't the small engine boys down the block.

How about this: I set up a test yahoo account and send a file to them and to it. I give them the address and password to the test yahoo acct. Any flaws in that? Would a techie say "oh well, a yahoo-to-yahoo email isn't the same thing"?

jgb@etree Guest
    How about this: I set up a test yahoo account and send a file to them and to it. I give them the address and password to the test yahoo acct. Any flaws in that? Would a techie say "oh well, a yahoo-to-yahoo email isn't the same thing"?
    Doing yahoo to yahoo isn't a great test. Yahoo to Gmail/Hotmail/other would be a better test as a yahoo to yahoo message will likely route internally.

Oh knowledgeable IT geek mags:

I do freelance editorial work but am too small-time to have a website or employees, etc. I use generic email addresses: yahoo etc.

I've been able to receive and send semi-big (up to 25 meg) documents from and to a particular client (lots of people, but one single domain ending all their email addys) for 6 months or so, only to find out that at some point last week, they can't receive anything 4 megs or so or larger.

I don't mean they can't see an attachment or download it. They don't get the fucker at all. And I don't get a bounceback saying it's undeliverable. They get anything else I send them, so long as it's just an email message or a file in the <3meg range.

I've been told their tech guy looked into it and said it's my problem on my end. I'm skeptical. I can send these same exact files to pretty much everybody else I know, including business-class servers and generic accts. It seems like I'm getting blocked as a spammer, but they say no, not the case.

This is not just 1 account of mine. Get big fail from yahoo, hotmail, gmail.

Help me keep this very pissed-off client so I can ski this winter and not have to get a real job.

ideas?
    Just wanted to point out that no one is too small to at least have their own domain and e-mail address. You can get a domain for about $1 to $9 per year (depending on whether you want .com .biz .net .info etc.) and then it's maybe $2-$3 per month for an e-mail only account with one of the big hosts or for about $5 you can get a full hosting package in case you ever want to put up a website.

Hell, if you want to buy a domain (notchtop.com or something), I'm happy to host it for you on my servers at no charge for a fellow self-employed mag. I know how rough it can be..... I can give you a 5GB limit and you can be name@notchtop.com instead of unprofessional@yahoo.com

I also would agree with jgb@etree unless it is only one file type that you have tried (ie they may strip program files .exe or the like, but allow pictures or other file types). Better solutions for this stripping of dangerous file types will still deliver the message but note the attachment has been removed and deleted. They probably either running through some spam filter or antivirus or appliances like firewalls (or more than 1 of these things) that is pulling the full message (because it is not bouncing back to you with a NDR. They should have reports or lists of stuff that is being trapped with most of these type of devices. One big disadvantage of not having your own domain and using any of the free email addresses out there are these:

No control over the spam reports (these all have spammers on them and they can't stop the RBL Reports on spammers.

You have no control and usually can't talk to their tech support and have them look at the mail logs to see what they show for delivery status. Smaller hosting companies that have their own servers properly configured can do this and report on a message or domain to see if it was attempted to be delivered.

Spam is becoming more and more of an issue and many are doing things like reverse DNS, looking at the smtp server responses to see if they match, RBL and blacklistings, SPX records as well as Sender ID.

As pointed out you can get your own domain name and hosting account- for not that much money and you look more professional and have more control over the things like size of files limits (by investigating the policies of the company that is hosting the domain and handling your email)....

Also email was not really designed to handle very large file attachments- i was designed to send and receive text based messages. Yes it can work most of the time if the servers are set up to handle the larger files, but there are other and better ways to get this data over the internet. People do not want to hear that, but it is a fact of the internet.

Probably need to get to their tech support representative that can answer things like what mail server software are they using, are they scanning in some manner, etc. as well as look at their email server sending and receiving logs.

I don't let lots of stuff bounce back because that lets a potential spammer know that they have some kind of live account and they may try and keep banging on it on till they get through.

Do your emails with the attachments have related subjects on the subject line? Does the body of the email have real words that are spelled correctly with good grammar?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

and

Blah sooo right on here 100%..though i love barracudas you have to watch them for sure....

jgb@etree Guest
    Deja vu all over again?

Deja vu all over again?
    Yeah weird when i came into work this morning i had that post on my screen like i had never hit post. So i hit it again...

Oops..sowwy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    For large attachments use sendspace.com. If someone sent me a 25mb file in an email I would punch them in their cocksucker.
    FTW

Yousendit.com also very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Interesting conclusion, kind of anti-climactic.
    Great advice all, thanks.
    1. Got unique email address/web page. Feels nice. Unfortunately unprofessional@notchtop.com was already taken.
    2. Still problems. It's them. The firepower of tech lingo here helped though. They passed enough on to know it's them and that I am not a 100% retard. This apparently happens with some of their other contacts. They're "working" on it which means ...
    3. VPN for anything over 3 megs. If they don't like it, they can get their guy to work harder on the problem. I assume 110% of nothing is still nothing when it comes to work output.

All hail IT mags.
    Later

Interesting conclusion, kind of anti-climactic.
    Great advice all, thanks.
    1. Got unique email address/web page. Feels nice. Unfortunately unprofessional@notchtop.com was already taken.
    2. Still problems. It's them. The firepower of tech lingo here helped though. They passed enough on to know it's them and that I am not a 100% retard. This apparently happens with some of their other contacts. They're "working" on it which means ...
    3. VPN for anything over 3 megs. If they don't like it, they can get their guy to work harder on the problem. I assume 110% of nothing is still nothing when it comes to work output.

All hail IT mags.
    Later
    Glad you got it all figured out. Its a pain like that sometimes. They other party never wants to hear that its really their problem. Funny how at first they said all their other clients had no issues, but when you go in with the right words they backtrack and say "oh yeah it happens with some other folks too" WTF....HA...

Good luck mang.

thenotchtop.com is not taken and many of the other extensions like notchtop.us or notchtops.com if there is more than 1 are available.

Glad you proved that they really do not know what they were saying and it was on their end. But really the number of companies that try and push huge files across email as attachments out there when it was not designed to do that is increasing. Probably better off having to send it a different way at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    thenotchtop.com is not taken and many of the other extensions like notchtop.us or notchtops.com if there is more than 1 are available.

Glad you proved that they really do not know what they were saying and it was on their end. But really the number of companies that try and push huge files across email as attachments out there when it was not designed to do that is increasing. Probably better off having to send it a different way at any rate.
    Agreed..if they have even a semi competent IT department they can set up an FTP server... Filezilla is FREE!!!!!!!!