Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Goggle lens for Flat Light?

This question comes up a lot. The worst viz I ever had was at Snowbasin. Brand new to the hill and didn't know my way, nor could I see more than 10 or so feet. Found a ropeline and basically hugged it to the bottom. Goggles, glasses, both useless that day.

So what brand, tints, etc. work for you?
    Last edited by Pinner; 09-08-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Smith Sensor Mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Smith Sensor Mirror.
    That's what I was going to say.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

This could go on endlessly (and past threads here and epicski have if you really want to search). But the bottom line is Smith Sensor Mirror and Oakley HI Yellow.

YMMV but I think the Oakley HI Yellow is tops in flat light; Smith SM gives up a little in the flat light but is much more versatile. HI Yellow when the sun comes out = blindness, but the Sensor Mirror still is comfortable.

I wear Oakley HI Yellow in M-Frames pretty much in any condition at A-Basin (or biking) the only time I wear a different lens is sea kayaking, and then only persimmon. I've always been able to get enough contrast to see the cornice run while tucking down it in late evening white outs that I don't die, so it works well enough for me. And it's close enough to transmitting regular colors that I can use them in the chemistry lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    ....that I can use them in the chemistry lab.
    You're trolling right?
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Quote Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
    You're trolling right?
    Nope. The sunglasses are made to the same specs as chemistry goggles that don't seal to your face. They just don't print the specification on the glasses.

Smith Sensor Mirror..as mentioned.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I missed the M frame part, and pictured you walking around the lab in ski goggles.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

Quote Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
    I missed the M frame part, and pictured you walking around the lab in ski goggles.
    I have a hard time with goggles for some reason whether they are ski, swimming, or chemistry, so I just wear M frames for two out of those three (and other) activities. Now some of my friends on the other hand bring the chemistry goggles elsewhere (cooking for example...)

Smith Sensor Mirror.
    agreed. used it in flat/low light/snowstroms all season last year, and had great visibility. Plus smith has arguably the best anti-fog technology on the market. Also, they're on tramdock quite frequently.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

My vote goes for the Oaklye HI yellow. I've found this lens to be the unrivaled king while skiing in flat light conditions. The only problem is all of your friends without them whine all day about not being able to see shit while you're killing it! I own Smith Prodigys and I/Os, both with a plethora of lenses including the Blue Sensor Mirrors and they don't even come close to the Oakley HI yellows for flat light.

However, the Smith Platinum Mirror lenses are my favorite by far for sunny days.

Smith Yellow...never mentioned in these debates. They're less versatile than Sensor Mirror, but better in flat light
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Oakley bronze iridium does me fine except on the flattest of days, and Sugarloaf has got pretty bad flat light. Bonus points for the fact that the mirrored finish allows you to size up hunnies on the sly, a feature missing on the Hi Yellow.

The 2 best lenses on the market are Oakley's Crowbar Hi-amber polarized (same as hi-yellow but polarized & x2 the price...) and their Grey polarized lenses!

If your on a budget, get the hi-yellow and another pair cause if the day starts out foggy and then turns sunny, your eyes will hurt bad wearing those hi-yellow's in the sun. You'll be red-eye and squinting for a few days after. The Hi-amber polarized will deal with the sun better than the hi-yellow due to its anti-glare coating. That being said, I wear my Grey polarized lenses 80% of the time. They kill it in everything but ultra flat light and even then they are ok. They suck for night skiing though . In my opinion, its worth paying the extra $ for polarized lenses cause nothing is more important than your eyes and snow glare is a killer...

Smith makes polarized lenses which are pretty damn similar to Oakleys.
    Last edited by skiwithcharlie; 09-07-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Just fucking point it and shut up

Oakley high intensity yellow is by far the best flat light lens I have used. They have them in the Splice, Crowbar, Wisdom, A-frame that I know of. Just don't get caught in the sun with them or you will want to rip your eyeballs out.

Huh, when I look at google apps, I see maps, language tools, gmail, but nothing for flat light.

ok srsly... Oakley Hi Yellow is great for fog + flat, but nothing else. Smith Sensor is good for fog, flat, and everything else.

Love my Hi Yellows for super flat light and night skiing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

smith sensor mirror
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

sensor mirror definitley helps but am I the only one who thinks they still dont make a huge difference. Flat light is flat light, goggles dont do a whole lot to make the definition much better just make things a shit load brighter, especially when the sun comes out.

I just dont think a specific flat light lense makes that big of an imporvement, if its a white out you still arent going to see shit. Go ski in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    sensor mirror definitley helps but am I the only one who thinks they still dont make a huge difference. Flat light is flat light, goggles dont do a whole lot to make the definition much better just make things a shit load brighter, especially when the sun comes out.

I just dont think a specific flat light lense makes that big of an imporvement, if its a white out you still arent going to see shit. Go ski in the trees.
    Sounds like you need some Oakleys.

Call me crazy, but I hated the Sensor Mirrors. When you get water droplets on them, it causes a weird phase shift in the lenses that is downright annoying. And if the sun comes out it feels like someone is using a magnifying glass to project the sun onto your eyes.

For me, emphasis on me I guess, the Scott Light Amplifier is the shit. It's a rose, and it's easily the best low light lens I've ever used. It blows away my Sensor Mirrors. Plus they work fine in the sun. Best part, they don't cost an arm and a leg either.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Smith Sensor Mirror.
    x whatever

but really you are looking for any lens that has these 2 characteristics

a blue colored mirrored exterior
    an orange to red, aka amber, rose, whatever, tinted lens

you basically want to reflect as much blue light as possible, ie blue mirror, and want to look through an amber\rose colored lens to increase contrast.

its not rocket science

the oakley hi-persimons i thought were good as well, but scratched very easily in my experience

Okay so I googled it, now what?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lens+for+flat+light

The Scott "amplifier" and Bolle "vermillion" are similar rose tint lenses, both available for cheap, and both work well in flat light. I have the Smith "sensor mirror" lens too, and while it does work well in flat light, the rose tint lenses are more versatile: if the sun comes out, the sensor mirror is harsh (very bright), while the rose tint ones make it more tolerable.