Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sorry, politics...

Fuck that place and the morons the people have allowed to run it.

That said, I really do want to explore the mountains there and understand the desire to go.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    well i was stoked on Iran, until you posted that. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Sorry, politics...

Three words - George Walker Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    Three words - George Walker Bush.
    QFT ^^^. Spot on StraightChuter.

Please explain how it's GWB's fault that a fundamentalist Islamic state represses their own people?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Please explain how it's GWB's fault that a fundamentalist Islamic state represses their own people?

Unless I'm totally missing something. It was in reference to the morons who let GWB run this country, not Iran. Personally, I think that opinion is a little black and white for my tastes, but I think that was the point.

If you want to focus on Iran, why don't you try to appreciate the courage it would have taken all those "morons" to get involved in last years election protests knowing full well that they might have to face the punishment doled out by a "fundamentalist Islamic state that represses it's own people".
    Last edited by samthaman; 08-18-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: to be less of a dick

Hugh Conway Guest
    Yes, lets seriously focus on the non-sequitur and delve into that lovely world.

Sh*t. I should pay more attention to what I said previously:

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    I'm not here (in Ski/Snowboard) to discuss politics, just downhill therapy.

The real irony is that Iran used to have a democratical elected goverment... until they got overthrown in 1952 by the UK and USA who were after cheap oil even then. (google - 'operation ajax' to read more).

By all accounts Iran is actually a very sophisticated society [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran[/ame]

Iran certainly has some serious issues - but the USA (& UK) aren't innocent when it comes to international relations either ?

I've been pondering a ski trip to Iran for some time as well. We had an exchange student from there when I was a kid and I've known many (non-americans) that have travelled overland through Iran to Asia and all talked it's great history, sites and people.

As an American, not the easiest place to get entrance, but definitely doable. There was a requirement for americans to have a guide, but I'm not 100% sure that is still the case or if there is any way around it. I recall someone I talked to had a friend of a friend as their "guide" but were largely left to explore on their own.

There are many ski "resorts" in Iran and some very big mountains. Not sure how many of the resorts are worth investigate but I believe there are at least a couple that are worthwhile.

I think "Backcountry" had an Issue on Iran a couple years ago. I may still have it and will let you know the authors name if you can't find it online.

Better read this bro:

http://freethehikers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    i cant think of a worse place to spend my money
    Sorry, politics...

That said, I really do want to explore the mountains there and understand the desire to go.
    Sometimes (most times?) you have to separate the people from the government. While I agree Iran has one of the worst governments, they have some of the nicest people (I have not been there, but I have heard it from many sources.)

It is not like they easily get to vote people out of office (at least not without the risk of getting their heads caved in.) Many Europeans thought the same thing about us from 2000-2008..great people, but their leader is a moron, (that is from experience.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Had a trip planned for New Years 2002, and we all know how that travel season turned out. We were going to ski and then go hang out with nomads but we went to Turkey instead. Probably will put it back on the calendar, it's an amazing place. And some of my friends ended up going in 2003, said the locals were friendly and they had a blast. But they also have been to Pakistan and the Hindu Kush three times since 9/11, so they have a good comfort level with Middle Eastern and Central Asian cultures.

Have a good time!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Better read this bro:

Why would you want to read the plight of idiots?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Sorry, politics...

The American Empire is what corrupted the Iranian government, not the people. People are good

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    How about as a Canadian?

Lots of my Scando buddies have made the trip with excellent results.
    Do-able. A friend of mine was there a few months ago. Apparently it's still a bit of a hassle for the visa, but nowhere near as bad as the Americans have it.

Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Better read this bro:

... What's your point? If it had been Iranians hiking into America illegally they'd have been labeled terrorists, and whisked away to Gitmo to eat Big Bob's cockmeat sandwich.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I'll likely be going in April of 2011 to Iran and Tajikistan for a ski trip. I myself am Iranian, but have an American passport as well as at least one other guy who is going on the trip.

I'll likely post a TGR about it afterwords.

Oh and I have been to Iran many times throughout my life, but always in the summer to see family.

Post BBC documentary: The Fall of a Shah

Related: Part 1 of 10 in the BBC documentary, The Fall of a Shah. Interesting, especially as a companion piece to Kinzer's book, All The Shah's Men. Incidentally, the central US figure in the American plot, Kermit Roosevelt, was a neighbor in 'Sconset, back in the '80's, when I had no idea who he was.

Truer words Yueshas, truer words......

I imagine a lot of Iranians feel the same way about being personally judged by outsiders on the basis of their government as a lot of us do. For the most part it's the same the whole world over--the assholes run things, the rest of us just try to get along.

Is the Iran locals' thread? Haha, great.

Snowbrains posted an awesome little vid of skiing in Iran: http://snowbrains.com/video-skiing-i...-looks-unreal/

Here's the vimeo:

Would love to check that place out.

Edit: Also, Dunfee, I would love to see an AMA with this guy about skiing in Iran.
    sproing!