Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ogden UT freeride park info

Ogden UT freeride park info

To counter the terrible news re: LCC for the Utard crowd, there have been some positive developments in Ogden. WAFTA has been corresponding with Ogden City in its efforts to create a freeride park in Ogden, operated by the City. Unfortunately, I am in SLC, and have a difficult time getting up to Ogden often to help out. However, I know that Josh Jones, the Ogden contact person I have been communicating with, will be stoked to have as much support as possible from the Ogden locals.

Be sure to tell him that you are a WAFTA supporter, as we have been trying to work with him to help in whatever way we can to get this park off the ground and running. However, as I said above, it has been difficult for a lot of us SLC folk to get up there, so to have the Ogden guys represent would be sweet. The email that I received from him is below:

Hi Everyone,
    It looks like the Ogden Freeride park is a go. The lease has been signed and we are now ok to start work on this project. I would like to put together a meeting for all those interested in helping with the design and construction of the park. The park is located just north of the mouth of Ogden canyon between 9th street and canyon road. I have attached a conceptual plan of the park and a short project narrative that I put together some time ago. It is time to get some real plans together. Work can start immediately. I hope we can forge a committee made up of interested parties that will help plan, build and maintain this area. Please let me know if you are still interested in being park of this effort and what time would work best to get together plan our work. I would like to meet next week if possible to get this ball rolling. Please pass this information along to anyone you think might want to help, I would be happy to all them to my list as well. Thanks for your interest in this project.

====

Send me a PM for his contact info, as I do not want to blast that on the web. Needless to say, Ogden is planning on doing this legit, which is great news for the SLC/Ogden area.

Mike

edited to add: I can post a conceptualized plan of the park, along with a narrative, but am a picture posting jong. How do I post pics in the body of my message?
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

A picture of the proposed location and layout is attached. Note that this is conceptual only - no doubt there will be changes.

Also, here's a link to the location on Google maps.

Thanks DerJaeger. Stoked on the Ogden happenings!
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

Super stoked on this, might even force me to buy a big bike one day
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Looks great! Just kind of a trip from SLC. Any option to shuttle? Or will we have to lug our big bikes uphill?

Quote Originally Posted by madtrixskier03 View Post
    Looks great! Just kind of a trip from SLC. Any option to shuttle? Or will we have to lug our big bikes uphill?
    The 9th street trail head is at the top, you would only have to walk up maybe 100 yards from there. After that its downhill to 12th street. Its about a 500 foot elevation drop.

drbourdreaux,

please send me his contact info as i will be starting work in ogden for a new bike shop and would like to support this endeavor.
    Read my blog at oilcanracer.blogspot.com

Latest that came in just a few minutes ago:

---

Ok Gang,
    Now the work begins. I had a great meeting with city staff last night to go over the new land usage agreement that has been signed and to talk a little about the city's expectations, the timeline for construction and what type of support the city is willing to give to this project. The City of Ogden is showing their true quality once again. They have leased the land and insured it already and the city is willing to give us any assistance they are able as we move forward. They need us to stand up and organize ourselves so that we can make this a venue that we can truly enjoy. I would like to get together at the site for a little on bike/foot brainstorming session next week. I was thinking we could do it in the evening so we can avoid the heat. When do you guys want to get together? The city would like to see a detailed masterplan for the area before we get building. I'll do the plan if you guys tell me what you want on it.
    Thanks,

Josh Jones

---

Sounds like they're ready and rolling. Oilcan, he's in the city directory so rather than post here check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by OilCanRacer View Post
    drbourdreaux,

please send me his contact info as i will be starting work in ogden for a new bike shop and would like to support this endeavor.
    Check your PMs.

sounds like ogden and draper know how to do it right.

Update from Josh Jones with Ogden City:

I just wanted to remind you all that we will be meeting tonight out at the freeride park site to see the site, explore and brainstorm about what we should do with the park. We will be meeting at the top of 9th street at 7:00pm. I look forward to seeing as many of you as can make it. If you can’t make it and have some ideas as to things you would like to see happen with the park, please pass them along via email. I encourage all of you to spend some time at the site imagining and planning. See you tonight.
    Regards,
    Josh Jones
    ----
    Head out tonight if you can make it in Ogden.

Mike

Should I bring my bike or not?

Might want to post this over on MTBR.

Great meeting tonight...

The place is HUDGE. A long bench ridge and 3 big bowls. Bowls 1 and 2 are new terrain while bowl 3 holds what is now the "illegal" 12th street jumps which will be reworked and cleaned up for the uber gnar super radnasty expert jump zone. The city is full force behind this and wants a world class venue. They are willing to lend heavy equipment, material and operators for said equipment as well as engineering help and seemingly anything that is needed.

Ogden Freeride Park...first look!

9th street entrance on the north end of the park looking east and uphill to the BST. The paved road will be used as a return to the start zone for the first flow trail.

Just a bit further uphill looking south towards the 1st bowl. This is the likely start zone for the 1st trail.

Boulders in the start zone area.

Looking down into the 1st bowl, site of proposed skills park.

Crew overwhelmed with the potential. Proposed 1250 extension parking area.

1st bowl

2nd bowl, just south of the 1st bowl, proposed intermediate level dirt jumps area.

Looking north from the ridge between bowl 1 and 2 into bowl 1.

Stay tuned...Ogden wants something rideable by mid October and is willing to lend it's muscle to get it done.
    Last edited by truth; 08-12-2010 at 10:37 PM.

The meeting went well. I was really surprised not only by how much terrain has been alloted us, but also the amount of resources the city has made available to us. This is truly going to be a fantastic place.

Nice pics truth, glad we were able to get some maggots out to this (DerJaeger was there as well).

Nice! I foresee some more trips north in my future...
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

This is awesome.

[ame="http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196493"]Just pulled the trigger on a legit big bike tonight.[/ame]
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

That sounds awesome! Are you guys going to keep posting updates to TGR? Would love to help out when I get back in the states.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

It was a real pleasure to meet you both, Truth and Dickeymotto!

This park is going to be awesome.

We're going to start staking out the first trail on Wednesday. I'm going to head up there on the weekend to take a closer look at the terrain at the lower part of the park, so I can propose two or three suggestions that best utilize the terrain to put together the flowy-ist, table-jumpiest, berm-iest, gravity-fed adrenaline rush that we can. PM me if you'd like to join me.

Just to whet everyone's appetite: We have ~50 acres to start with, and in the long term there's potential for even more terrain and vert.

Super stoked that you guys went up there, and even more stoked with the City's support, enthusiasm and vision. Ogden is awesome to work with. Everyone should try to get up there and lend a hand whenever possible.

this is awesome news

2nd meeting tonight, Dr.B, thanks for making the trek and getting WAFTA in the mix on this. More incredible support from Ogden City. This is gonna happen and fast so expect a serious call for help in about 3 weeks. Were gonna need some mad manpower to help us make the mid October deadline the Mayor has set for something they can show off. More details to come...

gunit130 Guest
    But when is the gondola coming so you can shuttle???

of course im going home for a couple weeks... keep us updated, i'll be able to help as soon as i get back.

Mid-October deadline!? You guys are serious up north. I might have to make the trek and help you guys out. Give some heads up on dig days.
    Thanks Shane