digital broadcast tv

My Cable TV bill keeps going up, and I realized I really don't watch it all that much, and there is much video available thru the internet if I need to see a specific program or whatever. I'm considering going back to free broadcast TV, no more static I hear, it's pretty good. Thinking of maybe an external antenna and wiring the house so all TV's come off this antenna, or will rabbit ears do? Wondering if anyone is back on free TV?

advres Guest
    I did it for a year 2 years ago. You need a good antenna. They are directional so I found I still had to turn it certain directions due to my building shape to pick up certain channels. While there is no more static per se now it just cuts out on you or gets pixelated for a second. I live right in front of the train and every time it went by (every 15 minutes or so) I would loss every channel for a few seconds. Sure, if you only want the basics and don't mind a little finagling, go for it. Worked for me but I couldn't stand watching baseball on mlb.tv so I went back to cable for the package.

I've had it since it came out. I don't find I needed any better antennas that I used for analog tv. Picture is great, but all you get are the networks and pbs so not much worth watching except sports and nature shows.

advres Guest
    DaveTV... Also if you happen to be anywhere near Allston, let me know and you can have my old digital powered antenna. I don't use it and it is just collecting dust. At least you can try before deciding if you want to really drop cable.

DaveTV - I dropped tv a couple years ago and pick up whatever programs I want from Demonoid. They are free and commercial free and I can pause them anytime I want. Watching tv with all those blaring commercials grates on my ears.

I rarely watch tv even though my parents have it (in hd too!) for anything other than the Soccer Channel or ESPN when soccer is on there. Honestly though, anything on tv ends up on the internet. People release just about every major show and i have personally found other shows i enjoy that are from the UK. Other options if you don't want to download you could go to hulu.com (or so i have heard).

Commercial free, pretty much free (minus however you want to watch it be it a pc or device hooked to tv) and broader selection (for me).

Thinking about a Digital Antenna..This thread is 2 years old...any new info since then?

This Leaf is getting great reviews http://store.gomohu.com/the-leaf-plu...v-antenna.html
    Last edited by Flexon Phil; 06-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Click. Point. Chute.

If you are using a cable line for your internet, then just put a $2 splitter on the line and run one coaxial into your modem and the other into your tv. If you are using DSL, I don't have an solution. This will get you the basics - we also pick up Discovery and History.

My old TV didn't have a coaxial port, not tuner - it was more a plasmas monitor than a TV. I used the digital converter box with an external antenna and it seemed to do the job.

My normal antenna mounted inside my attic works fine. But I'm only 31 miles from downtown and it's flatter than a pancake here.

I ordered the leaf..I will report back how it work. I am just tired of paying 100+ a month for cable...I will fore fit the premiums. I will miss ESPN but will get the information on line or go ESPN Mobile.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Just dropped cable for a Netflix/Digi Antennae setup. Just have a little indoor antennae mounted near my TV. I'm lucky to live in an area where I can get all of the channels easily. I definitely miss some sports, but streaming on ESPN and hooking my laptop to the TV via HDMI is working well so far.

Picture quality of the channels I do get is better than cable, since they aren't as compressed. Watching the Masters on CBS via over-the-air signal was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I ordered the leaf..I will report back how it work. I am just tired of paying 100+ a month for cable...I will fore fit the premiums. I will miss ESPN but will get the information on line or go ESPN Mobile.
    Where's the report? Am considering buying this.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy