Living in Truck Camper

Thinking about living in a slide in truck camper this winter while going to school/skiing, I'm currently contemplating if its a feasable idea for an extended period of time and if its possible to stay adequately warm/hygienic without consistent hookups, any mags with experience in this type of thing have any tips/sugestions? any recomended makes/ configuration? budget is about 5k,
    Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Bring On The Snow View Post
    Thinking about living in a slide in truck camper this winter while going to school/skiing, I'm currently contemplating if its a feasable idea for an extended period of time and if its possible to stay adequately warm/hygienic without consistent hookups, any mags with experience in this type of thing have any tips/sugestions? any recomended makes/ configuration? budget is about 5k,
    Thanks
    Mitch

Im pretty sure this has been covered.

SEARCH is your friend.

For starters the camper needs to be set up for cold weather -- heated holding tanks is a start. Second, most sani-dumps will be closed in the Winter so having to dump every week or two can be a hassle. Third, furnace blowers draw a lot of power so a battery is only good for 4 - 5 days. You can add more batteries or carry a generator. You'll want a smart charger to quickly recharge when you on the grid.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bring On The Snow View Post
    while going to school/skiing
    Does your school have a gym i.e. locker room and showers you can access? If so that would make your life a whole lot easier.

or a parking lot that you can plug in both the camper and the block heater?

there was a long thread last winter on camping in your vehicle.but doing it in canada would be tougher. if you cant plug in,you will need propane heat.batteries are not enough.better to rent a room

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

You're going to use about a gallon of propane a day and about 40 ah of battery capacity for that furnace. That means propane fill-ups every 5 days for a typical bbq size tank and battery recharge each or every other day.

You might be able to swing this by not using the water tanks and getting a safe catalytic heater that doesn't have a blower.

This guy wrote a lengthy story about living a van during grad school. It's an interesting read.
    http://www.salon.com/life/pinched/20...iving_in_a_van

Good read Todds thanks for posting, I hope to be a little better set up then that but it makes u think about some of the adversities of such an "adventure". I think im going to go for it, will post pictures of finished rig, gunna have to do some serious winterization.