Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Final Cut Pro and Panasonic P2 (.mxf) files

Advres and Tipp: You guys might know this.

I've got a bunch of panasonic P2 footage that I'm trying to get to work for someone using FCP6. These clips are from various dumps and hence come from a whole host of different CONTENTS folders. I put up the .mxf files on my server so he could just download them. FCP expects the entire P2 format and all the other files created in that CONTENTS structure. None of these clips have audio so I don't need it, and neither of us want to deal with entire P2 card dump files.

Is there an easy (and free) way to get FCP to recognize these video files and make them available for editing? I've been reading around on some forums but not being a FCP user myself, I can't personally try any of them.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Did you try running them through mpeg streamclip to a different codec?

sorry, I thought I saw it in the list... but I don't now... I'll look through other converter file types too...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Sorry, mang - we use Avid XPress or Grass Valley Edius as our NLEs - no help.

As an intellectual exercise, have you tried creating a folder somewhere on your desktop, downloading the MXP files into it, then using the File Import tool in FCP and simply selecting that folder?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That's not free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Sorry, mang - we use Avid XPress or Grass Valley Edius as our NLEs - no help.

As an intellectual exercise, have you tried creating a folder somewhere on your desktop, downloading the MXP files into it, then using the File Import tool in FCP and simply selecting that folder?
    I just suggested that in an email but haven't heard back yet. One of the forums I found did have a few people posting that this sometimes works.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

advres Guest
    Tough one. I honestly think you need all the contents of all the folders (the XML in the clip folder and the MXF in the audio folder etc). I just tried dragging a video xml to my desktop and tried using the log and transfer window in FCP and got an error message saying the structure wasn't intact or something to that effect.

The biggest files in the Contents folder are your video anyway so if you have already transferred those, the rest of the dump should fly by anyway. Seriously, the video is 95% or more of the shit in that contents folder. Adding that additional information isn't going to add much size to your folder or time to your transfer. Real problem with P2 is you can not split all this shit up and you can't rename anything or they won't relink themselves. While I like P2, it is a weird format that takes some getting used to.

If you find an answer though I would love to know how.

advres Guest
    To example my size/information idea. I have a dump in front of me with 9 clips in it. The whole contents folder is 9.2 GB. The video folder is 8.96 GB. So the rest of those clips only take up ~240 Megs. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

I guess I may have to do that.

Lame.

Premiere pro plays those files back all by themselves just fine.

advres Guest
    They also make you pay for that ability every goddamn year it seems like (at least they optimize their software for current hardware... thanks a shit ton Apple). Don't get me wrong, I like Adobe but quit sucking their cocks. This is the one and ONLY time I have ever heard anyone care about this problem and I have dealt with P2 since it came out in one way or another. You already did the hard part... what is such a big deal about adding everything and having it in case you may need it for something? It probably took you more time to navigate to the folder and select all the videos to copy than it would have taken you to drag the whole contents folder to your server.

Plus you wouldn't have had to take the time to make this thread.

I'm not sucking adobe's dick (the way you might for a company that makes both fixies AND chick pants for boyz for instance ). Decades deep and their shit crashes more than any program I've ever used. But the stuff just flat out works with common formats these days. From what I can tell just listening to people gripe, there are very few, if any realms in which apple trumps adobe in 2010. I just like the fact that adobe doesn't expect every single format to first be converted to even be useable. Maybe FC is rad. I don't want to deal with all the problems people are having with the cameras I own to find out though.

I'm FAR from the only person to ever have this problem. Type in "FCP .mxf" into google and you tell me this is a unique situation.

Anyway, thanks for the info (seriously). I count on you to provide this kind of thing since I'll never own any apple product in the near future and it's tough to figure out a solution when I don't have the stuff in front of me.

And yes I mentioned premiere just to watch you react This shit is as bad as snowmobile brand loyalty.

I've run into a similar problem with some Sony codecs. A download from their site allowed FCP's Log and TRANSFER utility to convert the files to .mpg that FCP handled natively. Panny have a similar download?

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I've run into a similar problem with some Sony codecs. A download from their site allowed FCP's Log and TRANSFER utility to convert the files to .mpg that FCP handled natively. Panny have a similar download?
    If it was a Sony EX they have their own proprietary software you need to use but they may have a plugin now, I dunno. Fcp does natively allow transcoding of panny p2 but you need all the files or it won't work. Panny breaks p2 into audio/video/thumbnails etc. It's a weird codec for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

I've got a bunch of panasonic P2 footage that I'm trying to get to work for someone using FCP6. These clips are from various dumps and hence come from a whole host of different CONTENTS folders. I put up the .mxf files on my server so he could just download them. FCP expects the entire P2 format and all the other files created in that CONTENTS structure. None of these clips have audio so I don't need it, and neither of us want to deal with entire P2 card dump files.

Is there an easy (and free) way to get FCP to recognize these video files and make them available for editing? I've been reading around on some forums but not being a FCP user myself, I can't personally try any of them.

Software that may help you a lot is Pavtube Video Converter MAC.
    You may download the trial version of the Video Converter and give it a shoot. There is not any time limitation, but please note that the trial converts video with a Pavtube logo watermark on the screen. Now please refer to the following guide how to convert MXF to QuickTime MOV.
    http://www.pavtube.com/guide/transfe...-time-mov.html

I attempted to import .mxf files generated by my Panasonic AJ-HPX3000 P2 card to Final Cut Pro 7 for editing through Log & Transfer, without much luck, FCP 7 refused to accept those .mxf files. The MXF clips are about a concert and a birthday party. I just want to import P2 MXF to Final Cut Pro for further editing, and then burn them to a DVD using iDVD for saving. These days I’ve been trying to figure out how to get Final Cut Pro 7 to recognize my MXF recordings, but there is no-go. After searched on google for a week, and find the MXF Converter for Mac from UFUSoft, i tried and used it, and successfuly convert my p2 mxf to prores for fcp 7. Hope this could help you.

Best Regards

UFUSoft MXF Converter for Mac could convert panasonic p2 mxf to prores mov for final cut pro.

In order to get over this 'can't Import MXF into Final Cut Pro' issue and to directly import MXF to FCP successfully, a recommended workaround is to convert MXF to Final Cut Pro more supported video format like Apple ProRes, DV and etc.

iDealshare VideoGo is just the ideal MXF to FCP Converter which can convert various MXF footages whatever recorded from Canon XF/EOS C300 etc, Panasonic P2 AG-HPX series camcorders or Sony camcorders to Final Cut Pro more compatible video format like Apple ProRes or DV .

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert MXF to Final Cut Pro with iDealshare VideoGo, you will find a detailed guide

Arrow

MXF converter for mac can easily convert any kinds of MXF files from Sony, Panasonic, Canonon on Macwithout quality loss. It can generates best editing format/codec for filmmakers and video enthusiasts to use in different NLE apps, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, iMovie, Final Cut Express, Final Cut Pro 6/7/X, and more. convert MXF files If you are on Window PC, please get the Windows MXF Converter

use premiere.
    (sorry didnt read the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by southern_expat View Post
    use premiere.
    (sorry didnt read the thread)
    Obviously, or you would have realized it's 4 years old dipshit.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by axiaose View Post
    MXF converter for mac can easily convert any kinds of MXF files from Sony, Panasonic, Canonon on Macwithout quality loss. It can generates best editing format/codec for filmmakers and video enthusiasts to use in different NLE apps, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, iMovie, Final Cut Express, Final Cut Pro 6/7/X, and more. convert MXF files If you are on Window PC, please get the Windows MXF Converter
    Thank you SO much. I can finally get those timely paris Hilton video clips out!

Thank you SO much. I can finally get those timely paris Hilton video clips out!
    For realz... This shit is so old I'M even eating crow and moving to Premiere.

HAHAAh!!!

Although I hate that cloud bullshit. Makes sense in your situation though.

No bullshit... Adobe has been the best thing to happen to prosumer/low budget filmmaking since I started this shit. Just the innovation that lets me change AE text layers inside of PP without rendering saves me hours. Honestly, I wouldn't even think about another NLE right now. Apple fucked themselves and Adobe was smart enough to take the reigns. They were super welcoming last year in Seattle when we had After Effects World Conference.

It's not the software I have the problem with. My stuff is erratic so it's easier to just own it. I guess I could just do project specific stuff but even the projects aren't always why I'm using it. (messing with sample footage from cameras I'm looking at etc..)

But yeah. the interactivity is rad. It's been like that for a while though, before the cloud subscription stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Obviously, or you would have realized it's 4 years old dipshit.
    well did you get it or not?

(sorry didnt read the thread )