Why does drinking make my jaw hurt?

Top shelf, bottom shelf, liquor or beer. One drink is usually enough, it happened the other night after a beer and just now after a mixed drink. Pain where my jawbone connects to my skull, kind of a dull burning deep in the muscle, accompanied by a buzzing in my ears.

I'm sure this will result in some comments....

muscle memory from all that pole smoking

i realize that the title/content invited that answer, and thought it would come quicker.

I stopped drinking more then 1 drink (and that was rare in itself) at a time for about 1.5 years. I just started drinking "normally" again, and this is kind of fucking annoying...

so the alcohol does it, and drinking other beverages doesn't produce the same effect? that is pretty odd, especially since it can happen after only 1 drink. i don't think i can help you out there.

Gettin your mixed drinks in nice and early, eh?

No help for you. Unless you meant to say your jaw hurts the next day = sleeping harder due to booze, grinding teeth in sleep.

Water, soda, juices, smoothies, sports drinks etc. doesn't do a thing.

It was past noon when I made it, made some some lemonade and a little vodka sounded pretty good. The jaw pain is within 45 minutes of drinking it, not the next day, so it isn't a grinding issue. Same thing the other night, went for a drive out to Sodus Point for some dinner, had a single small draft beer (fucking $5 for a solo cup...) and by the time we paid my jaw was "buzzing" for lack of better description.

Gout?

advres Guest
    It is definitely the cock you are sucking after you black out. Ask rontele.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Gout?

possible, I guess, but google health says that the symptoms last longer then a few hours, and can lie dormant, and the jaw seems like an odd place for it.

It kind goes away after I flex/open my jaw a few times. Those few times hurt like a bitch though.

Thanks advres.....

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Thanks advres.....
    Just tryin' to help with the diagnosis! At least it isn't FULL BLOWN AIDS.

I once had a blocked salivary gland that led down the jawline. But it hurt when I ate or drank anything since that makes you produce more saliva. And that side of my face was really swollen. But the pain sounds similar. Nothing else makes it hurt?

I get a pain along my jaw if I start doing something really aerobic with no warm up. I get the same feeling in my jaw biking home from the bars after a few drinks. I am not working nearly as hard but the alcohol makes the difference. I always thought it was some cardiac related thing, but I have had it since 4th grade and I am 43 now.

Well since I'm so late in this thread I'll just give the answer you want...

Take 500+mg magnesium 30+ minutes before drinking. Jaw clenching or tremors(not even noticable in many cases but your jaw will hurt later) happens in a lot of people from drugs that empty your bodies magnesium like coke, amphetamines, 4-ma, ritalin(SHIT!) and even caffeine, and alcohal does the same thing. I haven't really heard of people getting it from alcohal though but it makes sense.

Take magnesium daily anyways, if you're getting jaw pain that easily(1 beer) you probably have a magnesium deficiency(and most people don't get close to enough). Drink lots of coffee daily or do lots of meth?

Quote Originally Posted by SP_sam-O View Post
    Well since I'm so late in this thread I'll just give the answer you want...

Take 500+mg magnesium 30+ minutes before drinking. Jaw clenching or tremors(not even noticable in many cases but your jaw will hurt later) happens in a lot of people from drugs that empty your bodies magnesium like coke, amphetamines, 4-ma, ritalin(SHIT!) and even caffeine, and alcohal does the same thing. I haven't really heard of people getting it from alcohal though but it makes sense.

Take magnesium daily anyways, if you're getting jaw pain that easily(1 beer) you probably have a magnesium deficiency(and most people don't get close to enough). Drink lots of coffee daily or do lots of meth?

Awesome, actual info! I knew somoen would have a good, possible solution.

Interestingly, I had a drink last night while snacking on some popcorn, no pain. Would a magnesium deficiency show up in normal bloodwork, or is it a special test? Never been told of a deficiency before, but I'm due for some.....

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Awesome, actual info! I knew somoen would have a good, possible solution.

Interestingly, I had a drink last night while snacking on some popcorn, no pain. Would a magnesium deficiency show up in normal bloodwork, or is it a special test? Never been told of a deficiency before, but I'm due for some.....
    I have no idea if they even test for it, I just got blood work done(negative for what we were checking for but pretty sure they run a large test) and I'll try to ask them what all they check for. Magnesium deficiency could have been the cause of my problem(I knew it wasn't because I've taken it every day for months) so I'll ask next time I go in.

Just take it every day at the end of breakfast, something like a B-complex + centrum(which has 100mg magnesium) + 400 more mg of magnesium would be a good way to go. If you plan on having a heavy night of drinking (or anything I named earlier) then taking it once again in the middle of your fun times and once again after is a good idea for stopping jaw pains(and help with the hangover plenty).