Page 11 of 224 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    ^^^^funny, I was just commenting to my buddy that with the air crisp, the water feels nice.

I agree with Hugh on the conditions thing. When I first moved here from New England, i was shocked how rarely it is really glassy and calm. More often than not, you are dealing with some kind of wind issue when you leave town. Still, consistency is nice, especially if you prefer a thicker, heavier wave.

Every time I surfed SoCal, it has been much more clean and lined up. It has also been much smaller, and generally weaker. Still, I've had plenty of fun at Salt Creek, Trestles and Redondo over the years. OTOH, I find surfing with 12 people to be crowded. If you don't mind the shoulder to should surfing of Lowers, you'd be happy in town, which is tends toward clean.

3.5 hours to KW is best case scenario for me. Leaving at 4AM, midweek, with no weather or road issues. 4 is more typical. And can grow to 5 or more if you get clipped at the pass.

Further north would be enticing for me, but my wife prefers to live closer to people. Once you get past Marin, it is rural. But having the southern Cascades within 2 hours sounds nice. But once up there, there is very limited lift serve if that is a preference.

This weekend, I surfed with crowds. 12 guys yesterday at a long warbled point, and 16 guys today, at a different warbled point about a mile away. Had fun both times, but conditions were a far cry from last weekend and last Wednesday.

Been a bit mushy the past few days north of the GGB but still nice enough. Picked up a 9'2"-ish Pearson Arrow last night - wow, you can catch anything on a plank that big!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

^^^^except wedging pits. They catch you instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    Ottime nailed it, the 7 hr drive is killing me. I know some peeps brag about making it in under 6 hours but that's doing 90mph and without kids having to stop every couple hours to take a leak.
    From Orange County I make it in 5 1/4 to 5 1/2 hours, but that is leaving at 330 to 4 am, and not stopping. I tend to drive around 75, I don't push things. Leaving in the evening and having to deal with traffic makes it a lot worse, I would rather wake up at 330. Even at 5 1/2 hours, I feel the same way you do, driving that 2-3 times a month is exhausting. There was still good skiing in June, but I always hit the point in May where I'm done with all the driving.

Whenever I am around the 4 hour mark towards Mammoth, somewhere between Lone Pine and Independence, my girlfriend and I always talk about how we wish we were there now, instead of having an hour and a half left of the drive. We don't plan on moving up north, but it really would be nice to have a 4-4.5 hour drive.

7 hours....I love San Diego, but that would really hurt.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 11-08-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

46006 SE PAPA 02Z 360 37G43 53 58 1000.1 26 14
    Those last two numbers represent "feet" and "seconds"

Those are some solid numbers. This storm has a lot of similarities to some of the best barrel fests I've witnessed in San Diego. Groundswell/Windswell combo with South/Southeast winds, keeping my hopes in check until it unfolds.

Jesus bambino. Time to find a point or suck it it up and head to the lane/Scott's.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

SE wind. Scotts looked variable. Best form I saw was at Waddell, but tons of current and no folks around. Ended up at 4 mile. Got one sweet drop and firm hucking wall. A lot of paddling and a bunch of ho hum. Maybe tomorrow. Just need the winds to turn a touch east. Of course, if one has the arms and lungs, FP could be good.

NH UPDATE

after 6 out of 7 great days last week, the past 3 here have been fun with today being downright wonderful in waist/chest/head high sets and clean as can be. can't say the crowds weren't out, but it isn't summer so it makes sense

tomorrow should be really fun as well. this warmer than normal weather surely isn't a bad thing either. winter can wait.

i think my arms are gonna fall off

rog

FP?? FP is NEVER good. Fake ass bullshit wave. Definitely will not be around there tomorrow. Maybe you want to come up for dead's?

^^^Naw. Will probably head into the bay tomorrow. Much smaller, but hoping for a more east component. Or, if there is still a lot of S, then will try to get some fake ass bullshit wave. Dead's is way to far to drive, especially when every surfer from the city is compressed into a 2 foot take off zone in front of rocks.

^bunch of fake ass bullshit waves to surf up there?

Glassy to slightly offshore down here right now, dropping tide, polluted, but I'm on it.

The Beach was great today. A little juice, not too lined up but a few nice lips to duck under. Got the Rusty Slayer wet for the first time. Haven't been on a thruster for a year, and this was the perfect day for it. I'm going to use this board a lot this winter!

Nice! What do you normally ride, quad?

Shoulder to head high and sheet glass all day down here, slight offshore when the rain squall would move in. Peaky west and southwest combo, I needed that!

Got some little peelers with about 2,428,191 of my closest friends today. SHITSHOW.

Only got dropped in on 5 or 8 times, only got hit once.

The Bonin Petrels

^Yeah, the alt shapes are all quads, my newest Simmons has five boxes. You don't ride a Simmons as a thruster, IMHO, however. My big boards(6-10 to 8-4) are all quads, and I have a single fin that I like for variety. Oh, yeah, and the seaglass project board, which is a goddamn dinner platter.

Piggity, I think your conditions were better than mine, not to mention the breaks in your backyard. A day like that makes you think twice about moving, eh?

Hop, you out at Cxxxxxxx?
    Last edited by BS720; 11-13-2011 at 12:00 AM.

It was pretty good but hopefully I avoided the Hep from the runoff. It wasn't epic but I've been surfing less than usual so it made me feel like a surfer again.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Hop, you out at Cron?
    This place doesn't have a name

The Bonin Petrels

Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Fixed it.
    Not quite. I was at the "other" place, you know, that xenophobic artsy-fartsy community that doesn't have a name. At least Cxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would have probably had better waves.

The Bonin Petrels

HO BRAH!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-frame.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	103398  

^10 of those, a burrito and call it lunch

^^^^That is how moss looked Saturday morning. Super shifty, but loads of fun. Now the winds are up and the swell is down. Had coverage, so I got out mid day today. High tide, right up near the beach, little waist high right hand barrels. Ton of fun on the 7'6" fun board. Drop in, drag the arm, get covered up, exit. Not much else to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dddermaloutlet View Post
    After two hours, I had to go to work and so bummed. Along the coast size is ranging from chest high to DOH and every where is having clean conditions in the morning. I'll be back on it tomorrow morning.
    Mean while in San Diego County we are having the worst October/Nov I can remember so far. http://www.surfshot.com/surf-reports
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.