Page 116 of 224 FirstFirst ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 5589
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Nothing says "welcome back" like a good beating.
    Couldn't have asked for a better welcome back!

Have had a good last couple of weekends here in OC.

Two weekends ago it was consistent, shoulder high Newport for a few days. Not too big, but peaky, and just the right size for that stretch. I surfed sat and sun from 56-61 and found peaky lefts and rights all over the place. It was not epic, but lots of fun.

Last weekend I was able to get out on Friday, and found it similar to the weekend before. Shoulder high and fun, a bit peaky with some down the line lefts. I found myself a little spot around 59-60 that was not too crowded, and was able to pick off left after left. Saturday was almost the same, but more crowded. It was still a good time, but I had to share it with many of my friends. I avoided the jetties, as they were absurdly packed, and was able to go to the same zone (59-61) and pick a few off. All in all, another fun session. Sunday it was bigger, so I went down to Trestles and surfed Barbedwires and Cotton's. It was about a foot overhead on the big sets, and very clean. It was crowded, but somehow I was able to find little zones that were not too bad. Another fun session, and the first good Trestles day in a while for me.

I couldn't get out of the office early today, but I don't think it would have mattered. The wind is cutting things to shreds down here. Unfortunately, this is supposed to be the case tomorrow, which sucks because there is some real swell coming. Hopefully some of you guys get some this weekend, I might be shut out.

For everyone that likes to surf Trestles, I saw a rattlesnake on the walk to uppers. He was chilling in the grass by the paved road section of the walk, about halfway to uppers. You always know they are around, but it still sketched me out. I pointed it out to some people behind me, and they saw him slither back into the bushes. They confirmed that they saw the rattle. He was not aggressive, but it still scared the shit out of me. I don't buy the whole "he's more scared of you than you are of him" bit either, because I was definitely petrified.

Watch where you step folks
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Another good weekend of surf.

Saturday was actually really good. I surfed from 1130-230, and it stayed glassy the whole time. It was only shoulder high, but with a nice peaky shape. Some of the better surfers were getting the occasional cover up, and I came close a couple of times. There were not the blasting off-shores of the work week, just very light off-shores keeping everything glassy. It's really fun when things in Newport don't blow out early. I surfed streets 56-61, drifting around and eventually finding a spot that was not too crowded. The crowd started to fill-in around 200, as people started to figure out that things were still glassy.

Sunday I went in the morning, and things blew out as they normally do. It was still a fun day, and nice shoulder high peaks were had.

Hope some of you were able to score the off-shores.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

good friend of mine has been stayin and surfin at uluwatu for 3 weeks,,,, he said today it was reeling head high and they are waiting for a new swell coming soon,,, says he is stoked to be surfing in boardshorts after a winter of cold water at jalama in central california....

sweet day on the river. All by my lonesome. Airtemp was 49, water was probably colder.

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    good friend of mine has been stayin and surfin at uluwatu for 3 weeks,,,, he said today it was reeling head high and they are waiting for a new swell coming soon,,, says he is stoked to be surfing in boardshorts after a winter of cold water at jalama in central california....
    when he gets home you can give him a big kissypooh!!

More fun surf this weekend.

Saturday was shoulder high in Newport. I surfed my usual zone, 56-61, and found it peaky and fun. There was a bit of wind bump on it, but not so much that it had much of an effect. There were people out, but not a terrible crowd where I was. Later that afternoon we went to the dog beach in HB, and found it close to head high. Once again there was wind, but not so much that it killed things. I was wishing I had a board, although with the dog and the wife it would have been a moot point.

Sunday was more of the same. A bit bigger, head high on the sets, although the shoulder high ones had the best shape. Nice and peaky, with some having a nice wall. Once again the wind got on it early, but didn't muck things up too badly. Another day where you really could surf all day if you wanted to. The crowd thinned out as it got later, with everyone assuming the wind would kill things. I found my spot, and was able to get quite a few peaky lefts. I surfed from 1115 to 200, and could have kept going longer. So far spring has been MUCH better than winter.

Hope the rest of you guys got some.

A bit different up here. Great conditions and little swell middle if last week. Windy since then. Looks like the SPAC is starting warm up a bit.

Rog got some and then some more?

Swell off MV in the AM, then married and then...?

First surf in a while on the weekend in tofino. Thought some of that south might show its face. Not really.
    Had a new board for me, used board. 5'10x20.5x2 5/8. With a pulled in pintail. Paddled well. Easy to duck dive. Caught waves easy, but the waves were just too small and gutless. Switched to the long board for the rest of the trip and was way funner. Looking forward to figuring out how the new stick actually surfs though.

The right craft for the right conditions is always better.

We have that south showing nicely right now. Or at least as nice as it has been in a bit. Lulls between sets, but occasionally head high plus. Enough for the short board, although I took out the egg last night. Plenty for that board.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Swell off MV in the AM, then married and then...?
    Congrats, maybe surf squibby's to celebrate

I don't know MV, but he sent me this pic of where he was surfing.

I certainly don't know MV. I thought it was just a sand bank. That looks like a fun break.

Congrats on getting hooked rog. Don't let that soften your style.

checking in. surf's been fun at the cliffs the last several weeks. went pretty flat during the hot spell last week which was a bummer, but has picked up since then.

excited for the warm water (67 now down here?) but missing the nice long period, lined up waves we were still getting when I first moved to OB in march. cliffs much more fun on those long period swells than the more recent windswell, but I'll take it.

Heading up to Ojai this weekend and bringing a board and wetsuit. Was hoping to brave the crowds and surf Rincon just to do it, but looks like it will be almost completely flat.

Any good spots to check out that take in the SSW energy in that area? Looks like C Street in Ventura should be fun. Anything really from SB down to north LA would be doable.

C street is fun. Silver strand if you're alright with getting harassed. And of course the golden jewel, Mugu if you know a military bro that can get you on base.

You back in? Looks like a decent little SE is headed toward you socal guys and points south.

Ended up just getting in at C street/surfer's point (same spot?). Not a whole lot going on, but barely anyone out where I was and fun enough. Monday afternoon surfed the first break south of Garbage while GF and I hung out on the beach at low tide. Board shorts, sunny weather and summer waves. Pretty hard to beat.

We did spend a lot of time in Ventura over the weekend and really loved the vibe. Reminded us of Burlington on the ocean. Beautiful coastal mountains, beaches, not a ton of people, closer to the ski resorts, and point breaks for days (a couple months of year). Made us seriously consider moving up there in the semi-near future if we could swing it.

You back in? Looks like a decent little SE is headed toward you socal guys and points south.
    Negative and yup

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Ended up just getting in at C street/surfer's point (same spot?). Not a whole lot going on, but barely anyone out where I was and fun enough. Monday afternoon surfed the first break south of Garbage while GF and I hung out on the beach at low tide. Board shorts, sunny weather and summer waves. Pretty hard to beat.

We did spend a lot of time in Ventura over the weekend and really loved the vibe. Reminded us of Burlington on the ocean. Beautiful coastal mountains, beaches, not a ton of people, closer to the ski resorts, and point breaks for days (a couple months of year). Made us seriously consider moving up there in the semi-near future if we could swing it.
    Funny, I froze my ass off the other night. Certainly nothing close to board short weather.

I did not realize that Ventura was closer to the resorts. I just assumed one needed to travel south through LA to get to 395.

Funny, I froze my ass off the other night. Certainly nothing close to board short weather.

I did not realize that Ventura was closer to the resorts. I just assumed one needed to travel south through LA to get to 395.
    Looks like you stay north of the SF valley and just take the 126 to 14 to the 395. 5 hour drive sans traffic.

Last night at the cliffs was fun. Chest high, crossed up and glassy.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Looks like you stay north of the SF valley and just take the 126 to 14 to the 395. 5 hour drive sans traffic.
    101/118s quicker. surf wise ox is a little less shaded, I think. c-street has a high valley kook factor, it's particularly apparent on the first good winter swell when everyone comes out of the hills to do their day of surfing and more than one person gets flushed towards the pier. but yes, there's a string of decent surfing along that coast.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/4494881103.html

would this be too much quiver overlap with a 6'2" piranha and a 5'10" byb fish-esque thruster..don't recall the volume or other dims on that board.

IMHO, you can't have too many small wave boards. Especially in SD. You'll trip on how skatey that dwart is. I'd snap it up in a minute if it's watertight.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"