Advice on raft purchase

I'm in high level negotiations with the owner of this raft:

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/swap/sho...ckage-29&cat=3

I think this price point is medium to a little high. Right now its sight unseen, not sure whether to go to Carbondale to give it the full once over or buy it knowing I can adjust the frame if I need to?

Any advice on what's out there right now? I'm interested in a good boat for CO - 14 foot self bailer with an oar rig set-up. I like the NRS boats, a little more streamlined in the water than the hysides in my experience.

And advice on things to consider when buying a raft, other than the obvious (it floats).
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

yea its probably a touch too high i think but it looks to be in excellent condition and you get a lot of stuff with it that seem to be quality.

if the drybox and cooler and such are all in excellent to like new condition its probably worth it.

i really liked the NRS boats i was guiding. handled loads well and were pretty nimble

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    yea its probably a touch too high i think but it looks to be in excellent condition and you get a lot of stuff with it that seem to be quality.

if the drybox and cooler and such are all in excellent to like new condition its probably worth it.

i really liked the NRS boats i was guiding. handled loads well and were pretty nimble
    x2.
    If you want it for multi-day trips, this rig, imho, is ideal. Haven't priced this stuff lately, but i'm guessing it would be 8-10k to buy all this stuff new. Most guides who can get proform wouldn't take care of it this well either, so the dude likely paid retail i'd guess. Looks like the Otter series, might want to confirm.
    I'd also be asking how it was stored over the winter, indoor/outdoor, rolled/partially inflated.
    Looks to me like a pretty solid package. All you'd really need is a pair of spare oars [maybe you could negotiate that point a bit, try to get down to 4500 maybe?], a pfd, and a bunch of beer and you'd be ready to rock!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Give Chris or Angela at Cascade Outfitters/Maravia in Boise a call. Tell them Nate said they might be able to help you find something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

anybody use the "diamond decking"? Does it affect your ability to store/strap stuff down?

Thanks for the tip, Nate, I'll give the boise folks a shout.

the decking is nice if you don't have a lot of stuff since it gives you something to rest on. i imagine it is all removable and not welded to the frame giving you the option to remove it for extra storage.

those boats are hyphalon so it is ok to have them stored rolled. would be more worried about sunlight. i would try and take em down some more. but that is probably 50% off retail price.

are the oars the wood or composite carlisle's?

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    anybody use the "diamond decking"? Does it affect your ability to store/strap stuff down?

Thanks for the tip, Nate, I'll give the boise folks a shout.
    diamond plate is great, mostly to make it easy and safer to walk around on the boat. Plus it's a great bed up front there! Sure, you can still rig gear especially duffels to the deck, but most find that you can fit most heavy stuff in the drop bag and dry box, which is great since it gets it low...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

That boat looks pretty nice but I would agree a little steep.
    While you are in the area you might want to check out this one.
    http://www.mountainbuzz.com/swap/sho...-package&cat=3
    I have a 14' Aire and have been very happy with it but I would look hard at a 15' if I had a chance.
    The decking is real nice for walking on or even just standing up to take a leak from the boat and yes it is handy for strapping more gear down.

Little steep. The rubber runs $3600 new, frame ~ $1000 new which this one isnt. I'd get rid of that diamond plate deck on the front to ditch some weight and get a table instead.
    Plan on replacing the carlisles with something better. Some people really like those plastic style kitchen box, though you can go much bigger with an aluminum box. Good luck getting parts if that cooler ever breaks.

I could hook you up with a brand new setup all around with warranty for very close to the same price this guys asking. PM me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm11 View Post
    Little steep. The rubber runs $3600 new, frame ~ $1000 new which this one isnt. I'd get rid of that diamond plate deck on the front to ditch some weight and get a table instead.
    Plan on replacing the carlisles with something better. Some people really like those plastic style kitchen box, though you can go much bigger with an aluminum box. Good luck getting parts if that cooler ever breaks.

I could hook you up with a brand new setup all around with warranty for the same price this guys asking. PM me if you're interested.
    the best advice in this thread.

Find out if it's an otter or an expedition ($1,000 more)

otter, the exp has a full reinforced bottom

Agreed that the price is a little high. If you're serious about spending this kind of dough and investing in a good boat, piece one together yourself and get exactly what you want.

Personally, I'd want a better frame, nicer wood oars, and the exp. series raft. You'll want that reinforced bottom.

My advice, take Storm11 up on his offer and really get the perfect package. For this kind of $$$, might as well get it right!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by Storm11 View Post

I could hook you up with a brand new setup all around with warranty for very close to the same price this guys asking. PM me if you're interested.
    Great advice but I guarantee you that a table weighs at least as much as a little sheet of 1/8inch diamondplate. I wasn't aware we were now counting grams on raft trips. I will require all beer to be carried in titanium bottles from now on, as well as my oarlock pins.

I agree though, definitely towards the REALLY high end (without looking at the condition of anything, but with the crappy oars, crappy drybox, crappy cooler, etc), but that's mostly because I dislike that frame. I originally thought the trailer was included, which sounded slightly more reasonable.

No mention of blades either, and what are you going to do with flip lines on a gear boat? Isn't that what throwbags are for?
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

That's high for an otter, look around, I only paid $1500 for my Expedition with everything (frame, oars, paddles,and a shitload of PFDs and wetsuits) including a trailer built how I wanted. For that kind of money you could buy new.

Goddamn that's high. Almost insulting. I'd sell my 18' avon superpro with frame,oars,cooler,spare oar tower,table,drybox for just a little bit more....

Almost mint condish
    So local it hurts...

NRS man wouldn't come down.

What do people know about PVC boats?

little harder to store since you can't keep them rolled. i think they are a little lighter but could be wrong

who says you cxan't store PVC bots rolled up? That's how I've always seen them stored. Anyway, super solid boats. Slightly different patch technique, but very easy once you do it.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

You can store PVC rolled. It just doesn't roll quite as well as hypalon. I have an AIRE 156 D and am very satisfied with it.

Have you looked here? http://www.nrsweb.com/services/gears...Type=1&catID=1

Check out the Maravia on the fifth post down.

Wooly - good call on that Maravia.

3K with the trailer if you bring cash? FTW.

Screaming deal.

To the OP: This is what you have been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.