Page 11 of 137 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    does anyone use Amazon Prime streaming? Wondering if one or the other is better. So far I'm not super impressed with netflix. There's lots of stuff that I am sure is good, but I find it difficult to find things, and I find that it is filled with stuff that may be good but not filled with stuff that I know I want to watch, if that makes sense.
    For finding content on Netflix, use Instantwatcher - it's not fancy but way, way better for finding what's new/interesting on Neftlix than the Netflix site.

My impression is that there's a good bit of overlap between Netflix and Amazon Prime, but Netflix is overall better suited to my tastes. YMMV. If you do prime, though, you get the benefit of free 2-day shipping on all your Amazon orders as well (though that's a slippery slope... when I had it, I found myself buying more stuff and also never shopping locally, which I felt bad about).

Netflix is plenty for a light tv/movie watcher like my family (probably watch an hour or two one or two nights a week, plus a kid's show once or twice a week). I have a few shows I like that have plenty of seasons on Netflix (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sherlock, Arrested Development, Firefly, etc.), so since I only watch an episode or two a week there's plenty available for me. When I want to see a recent movie, I just rent it on demand from Amazon for $3 or $4 (no need to subscribe for that). If you tend to watch a lot of tv or movies, though, you'll run through the good content on Netflix pretty quick.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Just watched the remake version of True Grit.

Good flick. Jeff Bridges has somehow morphed from the Dude into one of the best actors of his generation.

Also been watching the West Wing. Really dig this show.
    Last edited by Danno; 01-27-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Gordyman View Post
    Just watched 180 Degrees South and it is real magic.
    watching this now, really enjoying it.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The actor who plays Pete on The League looks EXACTLY like younger a BobMc. Truly uncanny resemblance.
    Wow, I'd never seen this show, that was almost creepy to watch. I had no idea acting was in my veins!

Ripped my ACL so have lots of time to watch movies on Netflix and eat ice cream...
    I just finished season 1 of Sons of Anarchy. I am really impressed. A fantastic miniseries in the vein of breaking bad (lots of blood and illicit activities).

Good stuff!

Been watching Revenege. Pretty solid albeit mindless and predictable...

Archer Season 3
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

"Safety Not Guaranteed" was pretty good. Gf liked it.

British (mini) series Jekyll and Sherlock are both pretty solid and present intriguing updates on some classic literary characters.

Jekyll is hit and miss for the 6 episodes, but presents an interesting take on the mythos, not to mention that lead actor James Nesbit is off-the-nuts (he gives Heath Ledger's Joker a serious run for the crazy money).

Sherlock is damn near brilliant. Director Paul McGuigan (best known for Gangster #1) does some really interesting visual things on the four episodes he helmed. And Benedict Cumberbatch is great as the socially detached Holmes. Top notch.

For what it's worth, both series were created by Stephen Moffat.

Good stuff indeed.

And I'll second Safety Not Guaranteed. Engaging little indie.

Also, The Sound of My Voice. Another really interesting and immersive indie.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Sound of My Voice isn't on Netflix streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Sound of My Voice isn't on Netflix streaming.
    Too bad, because it's a solid little indie thriller that's worth tracking down regardless.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Did you happen to read the thread title?

http://www.wellgousa.com/wu-dang

Pretty solid wuxia-styled HK action/fantasy/adventure with nods to Indiana Jones, Enter the Dragon, and Game of Death. It has some of the smoothest fight choreography and cleanest wire work I've seen in years and the story ain't too shabby , either, if you like over-the-top kung fu epics (think Once Upon A Time In China, Chinese Ghost Story, Dragon Inn, etc).

Season 8 of Weeds is up.
    Is that their last season?
    I've loved every episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Get the Gringo: Mel Gibson in a Mexican prison.
    That was good.

Just saw that Netflix added The American Astronaut to instant view. Absolutely awesome movie if you're OK with a little weirdness (OK, a lot of weirdness). Kind of a sci-fi, western, musical.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Gonna back Pegleg up on his suggestion. Good 'n weird and thoroughly enjoyable (also might wish to check out the music of The Billy Nayer Show, too).

Some other recs:

Cosmopolis - latest David Cronenberg is an intriguing "limo movie", a seemingly new sub-sub genre that emerged in 2012 (Holy Motors is the other "limo movie", but it ain't on NF yet).

Blood and Bone - pretty awesome fighting oriented action film starring the underrated Michael Jai White. Bone crunching and kung fu gloriousness.

Lone Wolf McQuade - surprisingly I'd never seen this Chuck Norris vehicle before and I gotta say, it might just be his best film. Equal parts spaghetti western, James Bond, and Dirty Harry, it's pretty solid.

Enjoyed "American Wake".

Lots of familiar sites in it for me, especially throwing back pints and listening to the Irish Jam at Matt Murphy's.

The Ropes
    series produced by Vin Diesel about bouncers at a NYC club. Gritty, engaging, and from what I gather it's Vin's Entourage (he was a bouncer before becoming an actor). Great cast, gripping storyline, lots of sex, drugs, and violence. The final episode is a little pat and wraps things up a bit too cleanly, but everything prior is top-notch

Top Boy
    engrossing 4-part British series about drug dealing in east London. Heavy on the deep English gangster slang, which makes it fun trying to decipher what half the actors are saying. Tough, gritty, and thoroughly solid. Awesome score courtesy of Brian Eno, too.

Gangster #1
    Easily one of the best British gangster films of the past decade-and-some-change. Stars Malcolm McDowell and Paul Bettany. First (and best, imho) film from Paul McGuigan.

The Devils Double.
    Iraqi army dude forced to be double for Saddam Hussein's oldest son, Uday. Dude blows Uday's balls off after Uday snorts a ton of blow, rapes chicks and is a public menace altogether. True story.

Couple of Anime series I've watched recently and really liked:

Mushi-shi
    Canaan

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

Pretty solid wuxia-styled HK action/fantasy/adventure with nods to Indiana Jones, Enter the Dragon, and Game of Death. It has some of the smoothest fight choreography and cleanest wire work I've seen in years and the story ain't too shabby , either, if you like over-the-top kung fu epics (think Once Upon A Time In China, Chinese Ghost Story, Dragon Inn, etc).
    Haven't watched a good wuxia in a few years.. will have to watch it tonight.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

Wow. Loved it, dooks. Thanks for that.

For me, it was a tale of selfish and selfless acts wrapped around two love stories unfolding amidst a martial arts competition. Action tear jerker with a dash of magic...

Wu Dang was way cool.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    The Devils Double.
    Iraqi army dude forced to be double for Saddam Hussein's oldest son, Uday. Dude blows Uday's balls off after Uday snorts a ton of blow, rapes chicks and is a public menace altogether. True story.
    great movie
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

The Raven is available.

Pretty good