Page 45 of 137 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 3415
    insomnia theater: downfall. haven't seen it for years but haven't forgotten how good it was.

insomnia pain theater: the impossible

about the 2004 dec 26 tsunami. unfortunate that it had to be about white tourist family that flies off together and leaves the nightmare behind but otherwise it would be a documentary or nothing. i had to turn it off at one point. too suffocating and heavy. i remember being quite engrossed at the time it happened. i guess based on a true story though i haven't read about any liberties taken at this point. for 3 kids and 2 adults in the same family to survive being in a beach resort when it hit is pretty unbelievable.

Damn, you choose some heavy shit when you can't sleep. Might I suggest a light boring rom-com next time, might help you sleep?

13th. ava duvernay

Last edited by wyeaster; 01-20-2017 at 06:35 AM.

oliver stone's untold history of the u.s.

not a fan of stone's really but there's some interesting stuff.

Letter from Harry S. Truman to Bess Wallace, June 22, 1911. Truman Papers - Family, Business, and Personal Affairs Papers.

"I think one man is just as good as another so long as he's honest and decent and not a nigger or a Chinaman. Uncle Wills says that the Lord made a white man from dust, a nigger from mud, and then threw what was left and it came down a Chinaman. He does hate Chinese and Japs. So do I. It is race prejudice I guess. But I am strongly of the opinion that negroes ought to be in Africa, yellow men in Asia, and white men in Europe and America."

Watched Sense8 with my roomate, it's ok. If your just looking for something to watch.

requiem for the american dream, chomsky

finally broke down and started tom petty's running down a dream after my best friend raved. but 4 hours!!

i named my second cat after this:

an hour in and as before, i like his music, don't relate to the writing much, respect him and enjoy the story but i am not moved.
    Last edited by wyeaster; 02-12-2017 at 04:03 AM.

i'm dreading the traveling willburys section. i used to joke that tom petty and everybody else jeff lynne fucked with got elo-ed.

all in all great documentary. would be impossible to legitimately fill 4 hours on the vast majority of bands.

stretch

"look at you. has your father stopped crying?"

bad ass. expectations were low.

David Brent: life on the road

With Ricky Gervais.

Very, very funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Watched it night before last. Very, VERY funny in a somewhat typical British way, which I like. And it was kinda redemptive at the end which was good. Shades of Spinal Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

With Ricky Gervais.

Very, very funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Moaning of Life.
    Fricking hilarious!
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    requiem for the american dream, chomsky
    Yes, almost as good as going to ISR and talking to the head of the Mossad.

accidental courtesy: daryl davis, race and america

http://variety.com/2016/film/markets...ew-1201733078/

A veteran African-American rock and blues musician, Daryl Davis has for some years pursued a side interest that strikes many as perverse, if not downright dangerous: He seeks out members of the KKK and other race-oriented hate groups, using personal friendship, generosity, historical argument and simple logic to challenge their prejudices. Working on this one-on-one level, he’s proved (in his own words) that “it is possible that change can occur” between seemingly irreconcilable people.
    Last edited by wyeaster; 02-28-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Yes, almost as good as going to ISR and talking to the head of the Mossad.
    oh yeah just like that!

Fauda--1 season series. Watch the Israeli military black ops and Hamas try to kill each other. Both sides come off looking bad--everyone fucks up and everyone is brutal and downright evil--except for the Arab woman doctor, who I'm in love with. It's often hard to tell if a character is Israeli or Palestinian, which is the point. It's in Hebrew and Arabic with English subtitles, or you can watch it with the Hebrew dubbed into English which sucks.

Mulholland Dr. just showed up on Netflix. I watched it a few days ago and liked it pretty well despite a general "WTF?" reaction to it. Now that it more or less makes sense to me, I think, I'm going to go with great. That, and I need to watch it again now. There's a blue key in the movie, two of them actually, and as it turns out there's also a simple key to the movie making sense. Except that the director clearly intended for people to watch it and then say "WTF?", so I'm not going to spoil that for you. Great weird cinema regardless.

Also noticed that Netflix is streaming Sunset Blvd, which seems to have been an inspiration for Mulholland Dr.

And going with the weird flick thing lately, I just saw The Visitor (1979). That's streaming on Hoopla (which you may have free access to if your area has a well funded library system). It's kind of The Exorcist mixed with The Birds mixed with a bunch of other things and with a slight touch of Zardoz. Not a good movie, but it's weird and it's watchable.

Hap N Leonard.
    It really kicks in at episode 3.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

With Ricky Gervais.

Very, very funny.
    Grating. That dude has a shelf life, and its past expiration