Page 28 of 137 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    French Spanish WTF it's all the same in Andorra

I agree with that take dookey, the "syndrome" or whatever you'd call it that has caused the agoraphobic behavior, it wasn't explained as it would be in a USA made movie, it's not really the driving force of the story, nobody's worried about what caused it or what will alleviate it, so you're left with how people are reacting to it. suggests metaphor more than true scifi, IMO. more eraserhead than CSI: Miami.

Scifi alert:

Agents of Shield is on netflix. Picks up where the last Captain America flick left off, different angle.

I fukkin love it. Caught some episodes on Hulu, but not all, especially the first 10 or so that develop the story.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    French Spanish WTF it's all the same in Andorra

I agree with that take dookey, the "syndrome" or whatever you'd call it that has caused the agoraphobic behavior, it wasn't explained as it would be in a USA made movie, it's not really the driving force of the story, nobody's worried about what caused it or what will alleviate it, so you're left with how people are reacting to it. suggests metaphor more than true scifi, IMO. more eraserhead than CSI: Miami.
    I actually prefer this in a scifi movie. Leave some unknowns for the audience to wonder about. When a difficult to deduce subject is explained on film the results are almost always disappointing. Midichlorians anyone?

Good example of a scifi movie that takes this concept to the extreme is Primer. I think a lot of people do a big wtf when they see this movie but I fucking loved it.

unfortunately most people in Murika want everything spoonfed when they're being passively entertained, and thus our movies TV etc tend to be simple stupid obvious dull, and sometimes maybe scary -- which, generally, means visually disturbing unless you have no imagination and need to be bludgeoned with obviousness (Saw, for example).

witness a movie like Soderbergh's version of Solaris, and its "critical reception". Americans have been weaned on some stupidfuck formulaic idea of fiction, where you need a concrete "backstory" and characters you "care about" and believable "resolutions". if anything's left open, the movie is considered stupid and meandering and aimless. sometimes "pretentious" or "phony."

meanwhile, reality TV and other stupid confessional/exhibitionist crap continues its cancer-like growth in prevalence and popularity

Been on a documentary splurge lately.
    Whitey: U.S.A. v. James J. Bulger
    Birth of the Living Dead
    Muscle Shoals
    Nature Fortress of Bears
    Burts Buzz

How's birth of living dead and Burts bees?

I saw 30 for 30's story about the 'Boz the Brian Bosworth story'. Fucking 80's, man! Guy seems pretty contrite and regretful about his actions. He's Surprisingly smart and insightful now, but steroids can do weird shit

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Helix has gone places I wasn't expecting. Started out as a pseudo zombie thriller...

CDC has some really shitty communicators. And who knew that blowing up a giant satellite dish outside your base would shut down all internal communication.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Thought 'Your Inner Fish' was really good. 4 billion years to create intelligent life here and we have another billion to go before the sun gets too big/hot.

Combine this with the last couple episodes of the very dryly presented 'Life In Our Universe' which discusses the probability of intelligent life existing in the galaxy based on how life developed on earth. Estimates range from 50 million other civilizations to 1 civilization (us).

A quote from Life In Our Universe that really struck a cord with me went something like this: 'Other intelligent life in our galaxy will be stranger than we can imagine. We might not even recognize it when we see it.'
    Last edited by jma233; 11-27-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Best watch Dirty Dancing over the weekend, cuz it's gone on 12/1...

What's coming to and leaving Netflix in December:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ecember-752465
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    A quote from Life In Our Universe that really struck a cord with me went something like this: 'Other intelligent life in our galaxy will be stranger than we can imagine. We might not even recognize it when we see it.'
    I'd agree -- hell, I know people who think dogs are stupid. Apparently intelligence can only be shown by 3 Ivy League degrees and/or billionaire status.

You know what I wish Netflix would carry? Those funky movies from late 60s/early 70s, Chariots of the Gods, The Bermuda Triangle, Legend of Bigfoot.

Or Baraka.

The original Swedish series Wallander is back with Season 3 programs, I watched the 1st episode and it was different from the first two seasons, less cop-like, more character study. Didn't really click like the first 2 seasons, but I'll keep watching. ("Original" because Netflix also has carried the BBC remake with Kenneth Branagh, which also is good.)

dookey, thanks for that list. this is good:

Available 12/5

Bill Burr: I'm Sorry You Feel That Way (2014)
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 11-27-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post

I saw 30 for 30's story about the 'Boz the Brian Bosworth story'. Fucking 80's, man! Forums
    The 30 for 30s on Lemond vs Hinault and on the 83 NCAA NC state team were also great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Or Baraka.

Samsara is streaming. It's directed by Ron Fricke, same guy who helmed Baraka...

Has The Following been mentioned in here? I'm on the second season with the wifey right now. The story is good, and I'm always drawn back in, but the overall stupidity of the FBI/cops combined with the near-superhuman cult people gets hard to watch sometimes.

well, people who become feebs/cops tend to be more submissive-to-superiors-while-dominant-toward-"charges", not known for their independent thought, known more for bureaucratic muscle-flexing relative to individual people

though I'm not sure kooky kultists fare better on the brilliance spectrum

If "Peaky Binders" hasn't been mentioned, it's worth checking out. Sort of a less slick version of Boardwalk Empire set in 1920s working class Birmingham England. Started slow for me but it's become a late night standard for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Samsara is streaming. It's directed by Ron Fricke, same guy who helmed Baraka...
    Thanks for reminder. I saw it was there a while back, didn't know the Fricke connection, but someone had described it to me after seeing it, and I said, "have you ever seen Baraka? it sounds like Baraka." Then I looked it up on imdb, saw the Fricke connection. But never went back to Netflix to watch it. Have you seen both?

I saw Baraka at the Senator in Baltimore whenever it was released (92-93?), it was trippy seen sober. Crazy how trippy. Fricke's a madman.

I had a hard time with both. I've been in a room when someone started watching them, but it was the wrong group both times and it didn't last very long. I should go back and watch them.

I saw 30 for 30's story about the 'Boz the Brian Bosworth story'. Fucking 80's, man! Guy seems pretty contrite and regretful about his actions. He's Surprisingly smart and insightful now, but steroids can do weird shit

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    I liked the boz story. lived right through that time and remember it well, we're basically the same age. he has some humility now.

Romero is great in Living Dead, really amazing what they got away with back then and one of the few horror movies that I find disturbing. Never been scared with most of the horror blood and gore genre, I prefer something that is more psychological that shakes up the status quo.

Burts Bees is good mostly for Burt's personality and how he got started in the business and how he carries himself today.

Kid Cannibis. A lot better than you'd think.

Just finished marathoning Arrow. Was intrigued as I dug the Neal Adams/Dennis O'Neil GA comics from the 60's/70's as well as how DC portrayed GA in the Young Justice and various Justice League cartoons.
    Show was like The Eastenders (or General Hospital/Guiding Light) with superheroes and villains. Very up and down, too; five episodes would be killer and then it would dip into heavy soap operatic mode. It still sucked me in, though, thanks to their serial/cliffhanger exploitation.

Started Agents of Shield. Having a hard time with the aloof demeanor, but the Rising Tide girl is uber cute and Ming-Na Wen is an incredibly smokin' hot 50+ y/o.

Just stumbled upon this (might be of interest to @Splat and other sci-fi fiends):

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/12...eaming-netflix

Quote Originally Posted by bgrayvy View Post
    If "Peaky Binders" hasn't been mentioned, it's worth checking out. Sort of a less slick version of Boardwalk Empire set in 1920s working class Birmingham England. Started slow for me but it's become a late night standard for me.
    Just finished it, its good.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Kid Cannibis. A lot better than you'd think.
    Agreed. Definitely a good one.

+ 1 for both Agents of Shield and Arrow.

Production value of Helix started off slow but seems to be getting better. I'll try to finish it.

Watched the first episode of Black Mirror, the show I linked an article about above (post#696 ). Not sure what to think. Was way less sci-fi and much more socio-political than I expected. Still, intriguing enough to warrant watching a second episode to see how it plays out. It's an anthology series likened to Twilight Zone (at least that's what the journalistic pundits say), but focusing more on technology and politics of the day in slightly alternate realities.