Page 27 of 137 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    STRETCH
    This flick has a solid cast, quick pacing, and is pretty damn entertaining. It's written and directed by Joe Carnahan, best known for Narc and Smokin' Aces. Oh yeah, this film almost forgives his cinematic ransgressions The A-Team and The Grey...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Sounds like a documentary.
    no, that was Black Snake Moan

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    oh yeah

New season of SOA...

Shit, I'll admit it. I went through Diary of A Nymphomaniac Vols 1 &2 despite really thinking Lars Von Trier should just do everybody a favor and just off himself already.
    Really not at all hot but I guess an interesting character study. Although the scene where the two hung African guys are arguing about who gets which hole in the DP was kinda funny I guess.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    The British comedy Peep Show is fantastic. I'm not sure what popular show to compare it to, but I imagine people who like Archer and It's Always Sunny will appreciate it.

I thought Snowpiercer was interesting. It was more original than most action movies, and I liked Tilda Swinton's weirdo villainess. But what the fuck was up with the gutting of the fish before the fight scene? I kept waiting for some exposition on how that made any sense but it never came (or did I miss it?).
    Allegory:
    Fish = people.

Fish in the aquarium get eaten periodically to balance the system as explained at the sushi bar. As explained later the tail section is "balanced" every so often.

And's it time to cull 74% of the population.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Okay. But it's a pretty contrived allegorical vehicle. Figuratively, it needs both the subsequent sushi scene and the Ed Harris scene for retrospective context. Except that, literally, it didn't make any sense within the scene where it occurs. I say all this having nevertheless enjoyed the scene for its weirdness. I think that kind of sums up Snowpiercer for me: Logically unsound in so many ways but still enjoyable in its weirdness and originality.

Okay. But it's a pretty contrived allegorical vehicle. Figuratively, it needs both the subsequent sushi scene and the Ed Harris scene for retrospective context. Except that, literally, it didn't make any sense within the scene where it occurs. I say all this having nevertheless enjoyed the scene for its weirdness. I think that kind of sums up Snowpiercer for me: Logically unsound in so many ways but still enjoyable in its weirdness and originality.

If you Google "sushi allegory in Snowpiercer" you get a grip of reviews touching upon the subject:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

PS
    AKbruin:
    the first paragraph of this review pretty much echoes everything you posted about Snowpiercer earlier:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-...b_5562282.html
    Would be interesting to see if the whole sushi thing is contained in the original source material, the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige...

Probably made sense to the dudes with axes, but of course no sense at the time to you, me or the "tail". Seemed "menacing" at the time. But yeah, not the best movie.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

okay, i'mma go out on a limb here (and I didn't bother to read all those reviews I linked to above, fwiw, so as far as I know, this is an original thought I just came up with):

the fish = the train.

a train has a head, middle, and tail, just like a fish.
    in many cultures the eyes and cheeks of the fish are considered a desirable delicacy.
    meanwhile, the tail is usually discarded.

in Snowpiercer, the front (head) of the train was the promised land, highly desired and a delicacy experienced by few.
    the tail of the train is where all the discarded people were kept.

not sure what the middle of the train represents, since in sushi terms that's the meatiest part of the fish, but I'm just riffing here...

head = brain

tail = ass

"you got your head up your ass" isn't a compliment

middle = middle, middle-manager, person who makes boss's whims palatable to those tasked with implementing them (other middles), or person who metes out punishment to those to be punished (tails/asses)

I thought the allegorical shit in Snowpiercer was old & tired and Barney-Purple-Dinosaur simplistic, the only thing that almost kept me from falling asleep was the Terry Gilliam vibe of Tilda Swinton's appearance for the first time she's on screen

the mood being something like Blade Runner / Brazil was cool, I just don't think fairy tale & sci fi themes mesh well, they remind me of 21st c pop / indie music, just throwing awkward shit together then calling it "ironic"

this probably means I'm just old, live long enough and what was innovative in your youth becomes regurgitated in the next generation's young adulthood

I started watching Stretch last night but started too late and fell asleep, up to where I dozed off it was wild, funny, interesting.

Kind of a drag they rode that train for so long only to find out in the end that they would be lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Kind of a drag they rode that train for so long only to find out in the end that they would be lunch.
    Hah!, That what I was thinking.

Stretch.

Good shit. Kinda reminded me of that Russel Brand whack job rock star movie.

Can't wait to stream this Dam film after catching an ad earlier today on the Dirtbag Diaries:
    http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70305212?trkid=13462100

Also, Infierno was a very solid call, thanks for the tip. I usually don't like watching subtitles away from the big screen but it didn't really bother me at all here.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I couldn't make it through more than 13 minutes of Virunga.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'd never heard of Snowpiercer until this thread. Tried watching - it was terrible. Nonsensical plot (it's so cold that the last survivors are living on a moving train? Seriously?) , no character development (why do we care about our protagonists?), video game looking CGI effects...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Helix - SyFy series that popped up. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Helix - SyFy series that popped up. Not bad.
    just marathoned all 13 episodes this week.
    my sentiments, exactly: not bad.
    it sucked me in, that's for sure, despite lots of familiar tropes borrowed from the likes of John Carpenter's The Thing, The Andromeda Strain, Highlander, and [insert your choice of zombie film here].
    still, it was nice to see The Rocketeer getting some work...

it got greenlit for Season 2, btw, which is supposed to hit SyFy early 2015...

I couldn't make it through more than 13 minutes of Virunga.
    Starts slow but gets really good imo. Some of the footage is incredible....lots of undercover, hidden camera footage of oil company employees trying to justify why they essentially invade these foreign countries for their oil. The paltry bribes to buy off officials is also enlightening. Why not steal the oil if it only costs a couple thousand in bribes?

This documentary basically provided a nice, succinct 'script' as to why so many countries in Africa and the Middle East are so fucked up.

No, it starts out making me want to cry.
    No longer stuck.

Lillyhammer Season 3, bitches!

I cannot for the life of me seem to find a good listing of the soundtrack to that show. Guess I should keep Shazam handy.
    No longer stuck.

^^^^nice - thanks, been waiting for that. Funny show.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Just watched The Last Days. Spanish apocalypse flick with a pretty interesting premise: what if everybody suddenly got severe agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) so basically got stuck inside wherever they happened to be at the time.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Just watched The Last Days. Spanish apocalypse flick with a pretty interesting premise: what if everybody suddenly got severe agoraphobia (fear of open spaces) so basically got stuck inside wherever they happened to be at the time.
    Creaky Fossil recommended this one awhile back, but he mistakenly referred to it as a French film.

I watched it a few months back and was kind of non-plussed by it. I found the premise to be the most engaging aspect of the film, but didn't feel that the overall execution/story lived up to the clever premise: i viewed it more as a commentary on today's society where everybody spends way too much time sitting behind a desk in a controlled office environment and as such they acquired an immune deficiency toward nature/the outdoors.