Page 25 of 137 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Blacklist was slick. Never been a big Spader fan until this.
    Damn you Splat!
    Watched all 24 episodes in a mega-marathon.
    The soundtrack (great songs in every episode) and James Spader are really the only reason to watch this show, imho. Spader SLAYS. The dialogue they gave him is insane. I imagine somebody, somewhere has a blog that keeps track of all the places that his character has been (would be a great tour, btw).
    I do notice a distinct similarity between Blacklist and White Collar, though.

{POSSIBLE SPOILER}
    The feds in both shows are f@#kin' idiots! It took them 24 episodes realize that Red is playing them and that everybody on the blacklist is interconnected? That was pretty obvious in the first episode (and I even think that somewhere in the first few eps Red explicitly states this to his FBI contacts).

Still, Spader is mesmerizing.

While not on NF streaming, I highly recommend tracking down The Music of Chance, easily one of Spader's best movies (other than sex lies and videotape and Less Than Zero).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Blacklist was slick. Never been a big Spader fan until this.
    Spader is a great actor imo.

Season 2 just started up on Hulu.

It isn't as engrossing as some other shows out there, but is an entertaining hour or so. As mentioned above, the feds are idiots.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Totally got hooked on The Blacklist over the last 4 days. Spader's character is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Chup, The Killing is a little sluggish in season 2 but keep watching through all seasons. I thought the recently added season 4 was as good as first season.
    Finished off season two of The Killing -- haven't started season three yet. No idea what they're going to do with the story after the resolution of the second season, but will stick with it for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Season 4 of Walking Dead is now on Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Peaky Blinders,

Blinding, real good,
    Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    marathoned it last night...might be best season thus far.

New thought after watching 6 episodes of Blacklist -- its formula gets old after a couple episodes but Spader is good enough to tune in again. He hasn't been this quietly nasty since that Molly Ringwald movie where he played the arrogant prepster.

The absurdity of the spooks in-story almost warrants not watching, but Spader delivers. Also, I like how the Harry Lennix character is there to reinforce the Nobility of Obama theme. Network TV, always pretending to expose govt ineptitude/chicanery while actually telling viewers that without spookery, shit would always be flinging off the fan blades.

Blacklist's little tributes to X-Files ("The Courier") and Silence of the Lambs (first episode) are done without absurdity.

In other news:

Hinterland is good.

Revolution had a slow first season until the end but picked up nicely in season 2.

Haunter

Interesting little psychological horror flick from Canada with slight nods to Nightmare on Elm Street.
    Slightly creepy and a tad bit mind-bending.

Worth a watch if you like horror movies with more mystery and atmosphere than gore and ultra-violence.
    Directed by Vincenzo Natali, the same guy who did the awesomely twisted Cube.which is easily one of the best sci-fi horror movies ever made (imho).

It stars the young chick from Zombieland as well as several well-known Canadian genre actors (Peter Outerbridge, Stephen McHattie, and David Hewlett).

Again, if you dig atmospheric horror mystery movies, then this one should be up your alley.

*Not linking to the trailer since it kind of gives too much of the movie away.
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Worth a watch if you like horror movies with more mystery and atmosphere than gore and ultra-violence.
    Directed by Vincenzo Natali, the same guy who did the awesomely twisted Cube.which is easily one of the best sci-fi horror movies ever made (imho).
    Good call, thanks. I like Natali's movies. Have you seen Nothing? He's good with the mindfuck.

"More mystery and atmosphere than gore and ultra-violence" = solid. Like Soderbergh's version of Solaris, or Session 9 by Brad Anderson.

Detention

Over-the-top high school horror flick that does everything that Jennifer's Body attempted to do, but failed miserably at.

This romp is directed by Joseph Kahn, who directed the highly underrated modern motorcycle western insanity known as Torque.

The dialogue is off-the-nuts and totally ADHD spastic; in many instances I found myself rewinding scenes so that I could catch everything that was said. The overlapping speed dialogue is an obvious homage to the stylings of Robert Altman (think M*A*S*H) where characters talk over one another in rapid fire.

The genre mashing is beyond compare, as well. On the whole it is a bugged-out pop culture pastiche of John Hughes' high school hijinx, slasher flicks from the '80s, and the aforementioned Altman.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    +1 Best season yet.

Also, good to know that if you ever need to split someone's skull in two all you need is a small kitchen knife and maybe 30lbs of force

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Blacklist -- Spader delivers.
    I am glad I gave this a second pass as it didn't take the first time I watched the pilot. Spader is awesome though he lays that schtick down a little thick at times. His limited run in season 6? of the office was some of the funniest shit they ever did - and that is tall order to equal likes of Michael Scott and Dwight shrute.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    +1 Best season yet.

Also, good to know that if you ever need to split someone's skull in two all you need is a small kitchen knife and maybe 30lbs of force
    I didn't think it was the best season for walking dead.

New season of supermatural.
    Watched 22 episodes of reign, story of mary, queen of scots.
    Kinda ya/knight's tale, but I ended up getting caught up in it.

Peaky Blinders. Way better than I expected.

I really like Revolution, even though it is starting to get a little strange. Charlie, oh my! Sooooo hot!

The Sacrament

Over the course of his last two movies--House of the Devil, The Innkeepers--Ti West has become the master of the seemingly innocuous, yet ultimately unnerving and intense horror film. Opting for mood and creepy atmosphere over splatter tactics, West's films are veritable slow-burn spine chillers.

The Sacrament keeps West's flow intact, providing a film that manages to accomplish what Kevin Smith failed to do with Red State (both films center around cults, btw).

Low-budget, but filled with some great character acting and a wonderful sense of build-up, The Sacrament is more of a hyper-real thriller with horrific undertones than a classic horror film, per se.

Totally worth a watch.

Peaky Blinders was worth watching.

Just finishing the rockumentary on the Eagles. Didn't think it'd be as good as it was.
    But for us old fucks, they defined the times through the 70s.

You really sat through all 3 hours of that?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Not all in one spell, but yeah. I found it all very interesting. Saw at least one person I used to know in it.

Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Killing Them Softly

Dark, quietly violent, and ultra-moody post-modern noir/gangster flick with an intensely subued performance from Brad Pitt. Great supporting cast, too (Ray Liotta, Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini, Scoot McNairy, Sam Shepard).

It's based on the novel, Cogan's Trade, by George V. Higgins (he also authored the much lauded The Friends of Eddie Coyle, which was also made into a pretty decent film starring Robert Mitchum back in 1973).)

I was so bored I watched Hunger Games 2. Da fuck is that shit?
    The first 1 was at least comically bad. The 2nd one was just bad.
    People actually like that garbage, or are most people like me and watch it out of boredom because Jennifer Lawrence is pretty?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Killing Them Softly
    yep, it was good. Gandolfini is ready to explode when he's on screen, Pitt is as unPitt as he's been since 12 Monkeys, Liotta is funny.

stuckie, did you notice how people go/went apeshit over Harry Potter, Twilight, pet rocks?

HICK
    A low-key, backwoods neo-noir starring Chloe Grace Moretz (the chick from Kick-Ass). Her character is like a cross between a naive Iris (Jodie Foster's character in Taxi Driver) and Charles Driggs (Jeff Daniels' character in Something Wild, the film Hick most reminds me of).

There are some great cameos from name actors/actresses and an incredibly engaging performance by Eddie Redmayne, who masters the slow-burn, creepy-cool with much finesse.

There are several brilliant moments in the film, one of which had me in stitches laughing and another that is perhaps one of the best and most intense few seconds I've seen in a movie in quite some time. Loaded with great, snappy dialogue, too boot.

THE CONSPIRACY
    I was skeptical, what with this being another one of those found-footage "horror" films, but I found myself sucked into the rabbit hole of the story really quickly. As the title implies, the film is about conspiracy theories; well, perhaps the great-granddaddy of all conspiracy theories. I'll leave it at that. The ending is a little obtuse, but the film builds its intensity really well and manages to inject some really subtle hints of terror, horror, and paranoia.