Page 24 of 137 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Had a music doc weekend on Netflix -
    Muscle Shoals:
    Thanks. I really enjoyed that film.

Secrets and Lies is a really solid 6 episode murder/mystery that reminded me of Top of the Lake or The Fall.

I can't believe that Copper was cancelled by the BBC after 2 seasons. I was really digging it.

Bojack Horseman. Takes a couple episodes to get going, and I'd say it's more clever than outright funny, but I really enjoyed the first season. If nothing else, the intro song is really catchy.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Luther is a kick ass show. It still blows my mind that Stinger Bell is British.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Bojack Horseman. Takes a couple episodes to get going, and I'd say it's more clever than outright funny, but I really enjoyed the first season. If nothing else, the intro song is really catchy.
    Damn, that was good thanks. Deeper than I expected from an animated series

The Killing....

Some kickass shit yo!

I rather enjoyed You're Next.
    I've not been impressed with most of the sub-genre of "home invasion" films (with, perhaps, the exceptions of Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs and Wes Craven's original Last House on the Left), but for some reason You're Next just worked for me.

I wasn't so much surprised by anything in it, but it has great pacing, the story contains a motive (too many of the newer home invasion films--The Strangers, Ils--have no motive, which I guess is supposed to make them more scary, but honestly it doesn't), and the practical, Old School gore effects kicked ass.

For me it was one of those films that followed all the standard horror movie cliches and yet they were delivered with panache and felt fresh and alive as opposed to redundant. At first I hated all the characters, but then I began to enjoy their annoying traits; in many ways it felt very much like an '80s horror film filled with bad actors, which I am pretty sure was intentional and meant as homage. Additionally, the film had lots of nice twists when it came to basic horror movie archetypes, such as the final girl, etc.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Mcconkey just got added. The Shield is also on there, great cop drama series. The spiritual predecessor to Breaking Bad in a way.

The league season 5 just got added!

RAFI BOMB!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I was just looking for McConkey and am not seeing it available. Damnit.

I've started watching Alphas-I'm 2 episodes in and enjoying it quite a bit.

Trailer Park Boys Season 8!?! after a six year hiatus the shitwagon pulls back into town on Netflix. Time to give the old brain cells some time off.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    Mcconkey just got added. The Shield is also on there, great cop drama series. The spiritual predecessor to Breaking Bad in a way.
    Can't find either, US? Search suggestions?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Just checked again, both there. Guess you need Canadian netflix or something? Weird, usually it's the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    Secrets and Lies is a really solid 6 episode murder/mystery that reminded me of Top of the Lake or The Fall.
    Yep. Killer show.

Just started watching Happy Valley last night and it looks good through 1.5 episodes.

Other recs:

Dark Tourist (US movie, psychologically creepy)
    Southcliffe (Brit TV, tense, good acting)
    The Last Days (French movie, post-apoc/sci-fi)
    The Grocer's Son (French movie, humanistic)
    Out of the Furnace (US movie, brothers and trouble, Woody Harrelson as psycho meth kingpin)
    Appropriate Adult (Brit TV, based on reality)
    Beware of Baker (US docu about Ginger Baker)
    Collusion (Brit movie about art theft & double-crosses)
    Outside the Law (French/Algerian movie, political & humanist)

also the old-ish US movie, The Station Agent, is really good if you've never seen it.

And even though Shia LaBoeuf can't act worth shit, Lawless is a pretty good movie about bootleggers in Virginia hillbilly country. Just suspend your belief that LaBoeuf can convince you he's a Virginia hillbilly, because he can't.

I watched The Master fairly recently, and it wasn't too bad, but not the masterpiece all the PT Anderson fanboys swear it to be. Joaquin Phoenix does a fine job with the physical acting and the emotional complexity of his character, PS Hoffman is memorable, but the story is too obviously a send-up of Dianetics/Scientology and a little too smug.

re Luther, yep. Idris Elba is a great actor. Also the duckfaced redhaired woman who is his nemesis/soulmate, I couldn't get enough of her.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    If you think you'd like some tripster horror about MK Ultra and human pineal extracted DMT experiments with a little dose of a Hunter S. Thompson tribute character, check out Banshee Chapter. Watch at night with the lights low.
    I tried that one, couldn't last 10 minutes. Thought it was amateurish at a level that nearly anyone could muster. I guess it gets better, I'll try it again.
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 09-06-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks for the recc on Beware of Mr Baker, creaky. It was everything that Ain't in in for my Health about Levon Helm was not.

I too was "meh" about The Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Thanks for the recc on Beware of Mr Baker, creaky. It was everything that Ain't in in for my Health about Levon Helm was not.

I too was "meh" about The Master.
    You got it. I really liked Beware of Mr Baker, and while watching had a lot of empathy for Baker despite his combative, stubborn, cantankerous behavior. His desire to play what, how, as he wanted was/is admirable. Obiously not a great father, but that's typical of artists to be more into their creative drive than their parental duties.

I think The Master is one of those movies you're "supposed to admire" because PT Anderson is believed to be a great genius. He's just lucky to be working in a historical era where most other movie makers are retreading old ground and playing to the lowest common denominator. If he were alive and working in the 1970s, he'd have been dime-a-dozen. He's no Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    The Killing....

Some kickass shit yo!
    We just started watching this - up to the beginning of season 2, and so far like it a lot. I've read that it gets bad later though. (No spoilers!)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Add this to my list above:

Bicycling with Moliere (French movie, comedy)
    Swimming Pool (French movie, mystery/slow burn thriller)

Chup, The Killing is a little sluggish in season 2 but keep watching through all seasons. I thought the recently added season 4 was as good as first season.

Still not quite sure exactly where I stand with both of these films, but both have kept me ruminating about them long after seeing them. My initial reaction to both was "that sucked", yet weeks later I found myself still pondering what happened in them. I am of the belief that anything that sticks with you, for better or worse, has some minimal intrinsic value...
    Both are psychological dramas, fwiw.

Scenic Route

Crave
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Trailer Park Boys Season 8!?! after a six year hiatus the shitwagon pulls back into town on Netflix. Time to give the old brain cells some time off.
    Awesome
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Low Winter Sun
    The Blacklist

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Whore-a-Geddon!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Blacklist was slick. Never been a big Spader fan until this.