So tired of getting ripped off on pinkbike

I know, fool me once...

But I guess I'm just too naturally trusting, and chalked it up to just one bad seller. I buy and sell used gear all the time on here, Audiogon, eBay, CL, etc. Occasionally, there is a little extra leg work with eBay, but it usually gets worked out. I have consistently had the worst luck on pinkbike.

I started this hardtail rebuild last year when I got ripped off by dodgezilla for $100 on a RD and cassette that never came. The typical: I've been out of town and couldn't ship, oh, it should be there by now, I"ll refund your money, and then eventually no longer responding. I filed the paypal claim, they ruled in my favor, but since he no longer had funds in his account, I never got my money back.

Eventually, I shelved the rebuild since I wasn't getting the parts I needed at the price I wanted plus other things were taking up my time. Tried to start working on it again this year.

Tried to buy some cranks from JKSR that never showed up. No response to PMs about shipping or tracking for 4-weeks even though you can tell on pinkbike that he read them. Started the paypal claim last week, and now he responds that I should have already received them and I'm trying to scam him. He doesn't have a tracking number though because "USPS tracking is BS."

I've also been waiting on a cassette from leemac for going on 4-weeks now. Same deal; no response to PMs even though I know he has read them. Starting the paypal claim this week.

Had another transaction where the shifters I got were cracked and the barrel adjuster on one was missing. I'll leave that name off for now because he is responding and trying to work it out.

I know it all comes down to individual sellers, but it seems like pinkbike has a larger collective of bad ones than most places. Or maybe I just have bad luck on there. Anyone else? The spam monkey bumping the Breck thread made me think that I should put the names out there so others don't get ripped off as well. Also, this is not a bash on Canuckland. With the exception of one, the sellers have all been in the US.

I'm not sure which is worse: getting ripped off of my cash supply or having to wait around months for parts that delay the project.

That just straight up fucking sucks. Well if its any comfort, karma's a bitch and an anvil will hopefully fall on at least on of those seller's heads.

Pinkbike is a bunch of punk kids who abuse their stuff and sell it without giving you the proper condition of the product.

I bought a 83mm crankset/BB from a guy over the winter. It was an FSA, and they have those weird axelshim/bearing caps for the BB's.

He told me that one broke and it is fine to run it without. Well, it is actually a crank axel shim, so i had to buy a new one from FSA. $5

He told me he just replaced one of the bearings. He did, he did not however tell me that the other bearing was totally shot. It was a megoexo bearing. About $18.

Then i finally install it on the bike i'm building up. Both crank arms are bent, and feel aweful to pedal. It's a gravity purpose bike so i'm still gonna ride it, but come on...

I refuse to buy from pinkbike nowadays.
    ~elake

I don't half-a$$ anything, it's whole-a$$ or nothing.
    -elake

Getting ripped off sucks.

Please do yourself a favor and stop using pinkbike to buy or sell things. There's plenty to find on established sales sites.

I have bought about 10 items off of UK sellers... none of which I have had a problem with.
    Although I am kind of new to Pinkbike so should I stop buying before I hit a dodgy seller?

That sucks, but I've bought and sold 20-30 items on pinkbike with only one problem and that dude took the item back and gave me a refund.

I always ask for the seller's name, address, and phone number. Then I google/white page it, to see if the seller checks out. That usually tells you the age of the person and is a good predictor of how deals usually turn out.

Just bought a wheelset off bigv10, went smoothly. They need a comprehensive "user x is good peeps" thread like we have.

I'll never buy anything off there. I trust NS and TGR, sometimes almost too much, but pinkbike is a bunch of sketchy 14 year olds who want money to buy weed so they sell shitty bike parts and scam people
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

for pinkbike anything i sell is usually via COD.... ive never had a problem buying stuff on there but mostly ive sold a bunch of parts ive had sitting around... looks like u just gotta be more careful who you're buying from... its not tgr thats for sure

I buy lots of things on pinkbike but almost exclusively from sellers I can access locally. I've almost been scammed a couple of times but have been ok so far. I also sell quite a bit of stuff on the site and try to uphold TGR standards on PB as well.

Enzo has the right idea about googling info and contacting a seller, talking with him and seeing if it seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    I know, fool me once...

But I guess I'm just too naturally trusting, and chalked it up to just one bad seller. I buy and sell used gear all the time on here, Audiogon, eBay, CL, etc. Occasionally, there is a little extra leg work with eBay, but it usually gets worked out. I have consistently had the worst luck on pinkbike.

I started this hardtail rebuild last year when I got ripped off by dodgezilla for $100 on a RD and cassette that never came. The typical: I've been out of town and couldn't ship, oh, it should be there by now, I"ll refund your money, and then eventually no longer responding. I filed the paypal claim, they ruled in my favor, but since he no longer had funds in his account, I never got my money back.

Eventually, I shelved the rebuild since I wasn't getting the parts I needed at the price I wanted plus other things were taking up my time. Tried to start working on it again this year.

Tried to buy some cranks from JKSR that never showed up. No response to PMs about shipping or tracking for 4-weeks even though you can tell on pinkbike that he read them. Started the paypal claim last week, and now he responds that I should have already received them and I'm trying to scam him. He doesn't have a tracking number though because "USPS tracking is BS."

I've also been waiting on a cassette from leemac for going on 4-weeks now. Same deal; no response to PMs even though I know he has read them. Starting the paypal claim this week.

Had another transaction where the shifters I got were cracked and the barrel adjuster on one was missing. I'll leave that name off for now because he is responding and trying to work it out.

I know it all comes down to individual sellers, but it seems like pinkbike has a larger collective of bad ones than most places. Or maybe I just have bad luck on there. Anyone else? The spam monkey bumping the Breck thread made me think that I should put the names out there so others don't get ripped off as well. Also, this is not a bash on Canuckland. With the exception of one, the sellers have all been in the US.

I'm not sure which is worse: getting ripped off of my cash supply or having to wait around months for parts that delay the project.
    i've only bought one thing on pinbike, but it was super smooth. you're too lax, when i buy something i tell the seller i want it shipped ups ground (soooo much better than usps), it needs to be shipped within 2 days, and they need to email me the tracking number the day its shipped. it's not asking much so if someone can't handle that i'm happy to find someone else. you know within two days if there's a problem if your tracking doesn't show up, if within two more days you don't hear from the seller file a claim. why wait a month? without a confirmed tracking number showing delivery you will always win a paypal claim as a buyer, provided you file your claim within the 30 or 45 day limit.

I've had great success both buying and selling on Pinkbike - until this week. Bought a fork that came with a crack in it - doh!

Fortunately, looks like the seller will refund me..so hopefully it all works out in the end. Meanwhile I need a new fork! (Fox 36 anyone??)

Just got scammed there. Add me to the dumbshit list.

Bought a bike for my son from a guy, paid him, lots of promises that the bike had shipped and excuses for not providing tracking info. Have yet to get my money back which he claims he will refund but now admits it's not coming and was sold locally.

Goes by 'hamiltonhawktrail' and as of today is a 'verified scammer'.

Any mags in Hamilton, Ontario?

Fuckhead.

^^^^ just wanted to say paypal refunded me in less than two hours. bad news is my kid was totally stoked for the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    ^^^^ just wanted to say paypal refunded me in less than two hours. bad news is my kid was totally stoked for the bike.
    Props to Paypal for taking care of you! As far as Pinkbike goes, I see far more "too good to be true" deals than any other site. But luckily most of them are Nigerian scammers so its a bit easier to avoid getting ripped off.

I had one great buy there (my big bike). Wish my son's had turned out the same.
    I too was shocked at how fast PP got me the $$ back. I'd all but written it off.

hmm, sucks.

you still need a RD? I'm pretty sure there's a minty medium cage x-9 w/ x-7 shift pod that's collecting dust, and a well used XT long cage rapid rise at my house. I'd have to check at lunch, you could have one for shipping $. I also have a lightly used X0 RD that I was planning on using, but if you'd rather have bling I suppose i could use the X9 and send you the X0 (not for free).

trying to get in good w/ a lady, could use the extra points.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I had one great buy there (my big bike). Wish my son's had turned out the same.
    I too was shocked at how fast PP got me the $$ back. I'd all but written it off.
    in my paypal account next to completed transactions there is a 'refund buyer' link that i think is rather new. i'm guessing he clicked that and had the funds in his account.

Guess I just got lucky on an RD. Not checking there anymore.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    in my paypal account next to completed transactions there is a 'refund buyer' link that i think is rather new. i'm guessing he clicked that and had the funds in his account.
    Not sure how it worked, but the seller had been unresponsive to my requests for refund. Once I submitted the claim to PP it was immediately "escalated" and within minutes PP notified me (not the scammer/seller) that my claim had been settled.

Seller had claimed he'd spent the money from selling the bike several times so not sure how he'd have money in his account.
    Wherever it came from I'm glad to have it back.