Colorado Front Range 4th of July Ideas..

So I was thinking a night hike up the east side of Mt. Audobon a couple miles to see the fireworks from the alpine and camping somewhere off 72. Thoughts?

I know there are some nice zones to backpack into, but I'll be with friends unaccustomed to backpacking, so we'll probably be limited to shorter hikes/car camping. Suggestions?

I'm thinking that might be too far away to see much of the metro fireworks...maybe Ned's. Try Golden Gate state park...a little closer. Beartrack Lake trail near Evergreen/Mt Evans is a nice easy backpack loop.
    Edit: Nevermind...I just realized that you don't want to backpack...
    There is a rock climbing crag near Allenspark/Ward area that has good car camping? Someone else more familiar can chime in, it's been awhile since I've been there.
    Last edited by sawatchsplitter; 06-30-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks.

I've camped up on the Audobon ridge a few times and always thought it was so cool how you could see the city lights and highways, but couldnt hear a thing except the whistle of the wind over the crags behind you. It's kind of like being on another planet when you're up there alone. It's far, but maybe kind of cool, I dont know.

I didnt know Ned had fireworks??

A few places that might be better options (and are closer): Flatirons summit, Sugarloaf Mtn., top of White Ranch, North Table Mtn., Lookout Mtn....

Quote Originally Posted by sawatchsplitter View Post
    There is a rock climbing crag near Allenspark/Ward area that has good car camping? Someone else more familiar can chime in, it's been awhile since I've been there.
    that climbing area is commonly called the ironclads, on old bunt school road between ward & allenspark. good car camping in that area, but spots are likely to fill up early in the weekend.

If the OP ends up going there, you should PM me, I'll be having a party just up the road from where most of the climbing is
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_cumstein View Post
    I didnt know Ned had fireworks??
    Quote Originally Posted by sawatchsplitter View Post
    All the colors of the tie-dye.

OK--All those places are cool and I'm familiar with most of the. I was just up biking on North Table this evening actually, BUT here's the one caveat--I gotta get some skiing in too..lol.

Ideally I'd like to get off the front front range.

Any of you ever camp up around the fourth of july mine area/south arapahoe/Neva? I've skied south arapahoe and swear I remember campers.

Wouldn't the flatirons/north table be in JCOS/BCOS? ie no camping/no fires.

North Table is definitely JCOS=no fires. Some walk in sites in White Ranch, but that would=no skiing. Is fireworks/city view required? What about RMNP? Probably be a zoo, but not anywhere you might want to ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    North Table is definitely JCOS=no fires. Some walk in sites in White Ranch, but that would=no skiing. Is fireworks/city view required? What about RMNP? Probably be a zoo, but not anywhere you might want to ski.
    haha..No dogs in RMNP..we got two.

It's a toss up between skiing access and fireworks. I wonder if you could see ned fireworkds from fourth of july mine/arapahoe pass...probably not. It'll probably end up being a car camp situation.

I dont know if anyones ever been up Buchanen Pass, but I really dig that area..mossy trees, nice flat tent sites, creek--no fireworks, long haul to ski but it may be the answer. If I remember correctly we would need a permit to park at camp dick. thoughts?

We've done the 4th weekend skiing Jasper and thought we would see Ned fireworks from our campsite, but they were too far away. They are almost too far away when we sit on the opposite shore of Barker really. Jasper and Neva are both great options for decent snow. Plus the ice is breaking up in the upper lakes and it is a great time to camp by them and listen to the cracking and sinking.

You need a permit to camp in any backcountry spot in the indian peaks, plus you have to pay $5 extra for a dog. You can get a permit at the Ace in Ned or at the Ranger Station in Boulder off of Yarmouth.

Drive up to the top of peak 10, car camp, and catch the Breck fireworks. Ski 4th of July bowl. You may even get to see some over Dillon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    I spent the 4th on Mt. Audobon once.
    While yes, you can see the works going off all up and down the FR, I'd rank it a "Most boring 4th ever." - tiniest little flare show + zero sound. Telescope still wouldn't help.
    Fireworks are half about being as close as you can without getting burnt or blown up. The other half is in the noise factor.
    Cant argue with that.

Now I'm thinking we can just float around Grand, Granby, or Green Mountain all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Drive up to the top of peak 10, car camp, and catch the Breck fireworks. Ski 4th of July bowl. You may even get to see some over Dillon as well.
    Hows the road up there? We'll be in a civic.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_cumstein View Post
    Hows the road up there? We'll be in a civic.
    You will not be in a civic on the road up there.

Evans summit.