Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Joplin vs. Gravity Dropper vs. SBI Command Post vs. ?

I rode a bike yesterday with a Joplin remote-trigger adjustable seatpost -- first time using one of these. I'm sold. I need one.

I found old threads discussing these seatposts, but couldn't find a comparison or pros/cons of one vs. another. A guy I ride with says that the Joplin/Maverick ones tend to sag down while riding, and much prefers the Gravity Dropper (apparently all mechanical).

Anyone have a strong preference for any of these? FWIW, I need it for a 31.6mm seatpost. I think some of these adjustable posts only come in 27.2 and then use shims to fit larger sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have a joplin 4 R. it works well but I don't like that the seat doesn't lock down. i.e. if the seat is "down" you can pull it back up; there's no mechanism that holds it down. Apparently pulling it up can fuck it up, which I think leads to the sagging while riding that you talked about. I've also found that it creeps up a little bit when its all the way down. Knowing what I know now, I still would buy it; none of the problems are a big deal.

A friend just got the 5 inch kind shock post. He hasn't had it very long, but it seems pretty sweet. Worth checking out at least.

I have only used the Joplin, so not a lot of help there, but mine does not sag at all. I have numerous friends with versions of the maveric speedball, Joplin, and Joplin 4 and none of them have any sag.

There is an ever so slight wiggleness side to side, but it is not at all noticeable when riding, just when off the bike and trying to wiggle the saddle side to side. Only other negative I hear of the Joplin is when the saddle is in the down position, if you pick the bike up by the saddle, the posts extends. Not something that bothers me or happens to me ever though.

Crankbrothers customer service is hard to beat, they do free rebuilds, reasonably priced upgrades to the new models, etc..

The Specialized and Rock Shocks models also have a lot of fans.

ks i900 is good, and the new rockshox one looks to be worth possibly waiting for...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

i have a kindshock and a GD turbo.

I like them both, but the GD being mechanical, tends to work well, all the time. the kindshock is mechanically activated hydraulic and a bit tempermental.

using shims is no big deal at all. that should definitely not sway you in the least.

as marshall said the new rockshox looks really sweet. worth checking out.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by alembical View Post
    I have only used the Joplin, so not a lot of help there, but mine does not sag at all. I have numerous friends with versions of the maveric speedball, Joplin, and Joplin 4 and none of them have any sag.

There is an ever so slight wiggleness side to side, but it is not at all noticeable when riding, just when off the bike and trying to wiggle the saddle side to side. Only other negative I hear of the Joplin is when the saddle is in the down position, if you pick the bike up by the saddle, the posts extends. Not something that bothers me or happens to me ever though.
    I have an older Joplin, 3" travel, lever style, that I've been using for 2 years. Same opinion.

Toast's comment about the issue of lifting the saddle manually when you've used the post to drop the saddle is a real issue, but it's also one that's been easily solved on my Joplin. My post's instruction pamphlet provided this fix: If the saddle starts to sag from too many manual lifts, you just loosen the anodized collar, cycle the post a few times with the lever/remote, then snug the collar again. Works for me.

It requires some occasional maintenance, but nothing huge. I've cleaned and re-lubed the bushings and keyways 2x, and had to tighten the allen screw fixing the brass key 1x.

I'm betting the RockShox model will improve on the Maverick/Crank Bros model.

I'd never heard of the Kind Shock post before. I don't like that single-bolt seatpost head design, so I'll pass on the KS offerings.

I didn't know RockShox was coming out with their own post. I'll search around on that...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My wife and I both have Command Posts and love them. No wiggle, super solid.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd never heard of the Kind Shock post before. I don't like that single-bolt seatpost head design, so I'll pass on the KS offerings.

I didn't know RockShox was coming out with their own post. I'll search around on that...
    Thanks for reminding me. the KS seatclamp absolutely SUCKS!!!
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."

For those of us with puny 27.2 posts, our choices are even more limited. I wanted to get a Gravity Dropper turbo, but then saw the All Mountain Post, and now the new Kind Shock i7 that is still vaporwear but is slated for an august release. What to do??

FYI the KS seat clamp is now a 2 bolt design.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    For those of us with puny 27.2 posts, our choices are even more limited. I wanted to get a Gravity Dropper turbo, but then saw the All Mountain Post, and now the new Kind Shock i7 that is still vaporwear but is slated for an august release. What to do??
    Kona likes 30.0mm. It's hard to find a nice seatpost. Went with an Evolve DH because that was the most setback in the nicest seatpost without being expensive or junk. Little heavy, but w/e.

.9mm from a normal size! WTF?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    FYI the KS seat clamp is now a 2 bolt design.
    that is good.

although the post felt solid on first couple of rides, it has developed a significant amount of side to side play and movement between the seatclamp and the actual post.

lph, does the gravity dropper not do this?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I was on an AMP 4" drop post for 2 years. Several friends have GD's and Joplins so I've ridden and played with them a bit. I just got a KS i959R and am super stoked on it. There are 2 models of the KS post, the i900 and the i950. The i900 has the single bolt set-back seat clamp design. The i950 has a dual bolt in-line seat clamp design. I haven't had mine long enough to really check the durability, but I'm liking it a lot more than all the other posts I've had or tried, and it's cheaper by $50 to $75. No side to side play, 5" of drop and has a really nice remote, which the "R" on either number designates.

Having said all that I'm excited to see the new RS Reverb. My KS i950R may just be a place-holder until that it out. Reviews for the KS posts are way more positive than the Joplins as well.

gunit130 Guest
    Kind Shock 5"

It's bad ass.

Thanks for all that, I was looking to get a new post soon as well, was thinking the i900 until I saw the rs model is coming out soon, may wait to make my decision.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I was looking at the Gravity Dropper because my Ellesworth Moment is a smaller seat post diameter. Then I read some of the reviews about multiple people having it shear off and one guy getting cut next to his balls on mtbr.com, so I decided that having metal shear off so close to my nut sack is not really worth the risk!

marshall, the GD has a little play but I knew that going in. The KS had NO side to side play when I first got it. It developed over the first several rides and has only gotten progressively worse, to the point that it is more noticeable than the GD.

Also the seatclamp had to be replaced on the KS as both the upper and lower part of the clamp bent. They sent me a new one that is burlier, but I am guessing it will bend as well. In addition, the seat has to be readjusted every time I ride as the seat creaps backward during riding, it just doesn't really 'clamp' the seat rails.

I've had a GD since they came out, still a great product and run a four year old version on my XC bike. Put a KS i900r on my big trail bike late last year, like it much better than the GD. The lever is great (takes the place of the in-board clamp on lock-on grips), 5" travel, unlimited stop points, no play in it so far (about 8 months old, sees heavy use). A bit heavy is the major problem and will lock up on me every now and then (need to watch the cable tension, clamp tension). I would recommend a KS to anyone not too worried about weight.

Having said that, I'm waiting for the new Rock Shock post and will buy one ASAP. A friend has been testing one for quite a while now and we got to play with another one in Ashland a few weeks ago. REALLY nice, kind of a cross between the KS and GD.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

AG, I can't believe I have had problems with something that has stood up to the abuse you can deliver. :-)

Seriously, I am on my second seatclamp, I am likely gonna require a third and it has developed tons of side to side play. I have to bump the seat to get it to come up, it locks up on me constantly.

That being said, when it works, I absolutely love it. I just really like the reliability of the GD Turbo. It just needs more than three positions.

I'm waiting for the Rockshox, partly because I know their warranty/customer service will be kick ass....

Quote Originally Posted by Unruly Baker View Post
    I was on an AMP 4" drop post for 2 years.
    UB, what did you think of the AMP? It and the Gravity dropper are the only ones that come in the 27.2 size. How was the play in it? any durability issues?

I have the 3" Joplin and love it. On the move I do not feel the side to side movement at all. As far as drop I only need about 1 1/2" to feel secure on really steep terrain, any more and the bike feels too low.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime