Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

world cup BRAZIL 2014. flow into South American ski season

so I just found out that the FIFA world cup 2014 is in Brazil, from June 13-July 13. There are 12 host cities, with about 6 of them on the coast. how far in advance can a person book airline tickets? I just looked on kayak.com but they limited me to 330 days in advance.

And this is a heads up to everyone else, since I thought maybe there are other soccer fans who would love to go to Brazil. I tried to book tickets to South Africa, but tickets themselves were over $2200. South America is slightly cheaper. I don't usually plan this far in advance, but everyone needs to start making commitments sometime, so I'm going to carve this in stone and after will need to jump the border to Argentina to ski in August and September after the world cup season is over.

Last edited by Spew; 07-20-2011 at 10:43 PM.

You might have just changed my life for the better; such a rad idea. I love these two sports. I wonder how the drive to Argentina is?

Quote Originally Posted by shralpingthegnar View Post
    You might have just changed my life for the better; such a rad idea. I love these two sports. I wonder how the drive to Argentina is?
    same here.

My guess is easy. But then I have always been afflicted with negligent overconfidence.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

its part of my game plan for sure, has been since Brazil got the nod to host, hope I can pull it off when it comes time to make it happen!

That's a party I am going to try to attend.

Something about this just struck a cord with me. Hmmmmmm going to Brazil and the world cup AND skiing in the same trip? Let the scheming commence.......

Sounds like the worlds most expensive vacation. I'm in...

I'm going. I'm glad someone made a thread about this. I'm going to attempt to learn a bit of Portuguese before I venture down south. I don't know if skiing is really in the realm for me as I am probably going to try and catch as many games as possible. I just hope the US is playing somewhere remotely close to RIO.

would be the trip of a lifetime. start putting a dollar a day in a jar now.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

three months of prime time skiing and world cup soccer sounds like a dream come true.

http://www.theworldcupbrazil2014.com/host-cities-2/ shows the host cities for Brazil in 2014.

I went to South Africa and it was awesome. I am already planning on Brazil 2014 but the skiing idea = good idea. Now to save more $$$.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

absolutely doing this.

It would be good to stay in touch with other mags so that we can coordinate on securing housing and transportation, maybe an email list as the time draws nearer

I'd be slightly worried about carrying skis around certain areas of Argentina. Way too many friends have been mugged in Rio. Anyone else know if this would be a concern?

Skiing in Brazil won't do good.. Just enjoy the attractions there plus the Brazil World Cup..
    Last edited by catherine85; 01-04-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine85 View Post
    Skiing in Brazil won't do good.. Just enjoy the attractions there plus the Brazil 2014 world cup..
    I think the idea was to go to Argentina afterwards, not stay in Brazil.

I guess I better plan on waiting a few months out of college to get a job so I can take part in this. What a great idea!

i will bump this because this is a great idea. having gone to south america to ski/travel in 2010/2011, i can vouch for its awesomeness. didn't get to hit brazil (so big!) but spent most of my time in argentina.

notes: cars are a pain in the ass down there, particularly in argentina. in argentina, they are super expensive due to import duties on "luxury" goods. you'll be surprised at the old-ass things people there are driving around.

the drive from Brazil to skiable parts of chile/argentina is going to be quite long. looks to be about 50 hours, plus border crossings, from sao paulo to bariloche, for example. if you are going to matches in northern parts of brazil, quite a bit longer, obviously.

note also that Brazil requires visas for americans, with an application and a ~$150 fee. for argentina and chile, if you are American and fly into the international airports in BsAs or Santiago, you must pay an ~$140 fee. Driving through or flying into these airports on a domestic flight, or flying into other airports, you avoid the charges.

my flight to BsAs was through Sao Paulo on TAM, a big Brazilian airline. pretty top notch operation. you get two free bags, good if you are bringing your skis (do so, as rentals in Argentina seem to suck big time from what I could tell).

I would suggest flying to Brazil, stashing your skis, and then flying to Bariloche or Mendoza (to hit Las Lenas) or Santiago if hitting Chilean resorts. then rent a car when you get there if you are going to chase snow.

who knows, maybe i'll make this happen also. but someone needs to make sure it goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by looseofforangejuice View Post
    note also that Brazil requires visas for americans, with an application and a ~$150 fee. for argentina and chile, if you are American and fly into the international airports in BsAs or Santiago, you must pay an ~$140 fee. Driving through or flying into these airports on a domestic flight, or flying into other airports, you avoid the charges.

I would suggest flying to Brazil, stashing your skis, and then flying to Bariloche or Mendoza (to hit Las Lenas) or Santiago if hitting Chilean resorts. then rent a car when you get there if you are going to chase snow.
    A friend and I are planning to drive from Reno to Brazil. we'll find a storage location to stash our gear and unload the little 1992 Toyota for whatever we can get, see matches, party in the streets, freak on the beach etc. Then yeah, jump a plane to Buenos Aires or Mendoza. I checked out the requirement for Brazilian Visa but when I went to Argentina in 2005 there was no visa required. You had to get one while you were there in 2010? I rolled through the big airport in Buenos Aires with nothing but a stamp.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...world-cup.html

Want to host the World Cup? You’d better be prepared to serve beer. That’s the message that FIFA, the international governing body of soccer, is pushing in Brazil and Russia, urging the countries to drop restrictions on beer sales in stadiums.

"Alcoholic drinks are part of the FIFA World Cup, so we're going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant but that's something we won't negotiate," FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke told journalists Thursday in Rio de Janeiro, according to the BBC.

In St. Petersburg, Russia, FIFA President Sepp Blatter urged that country to allow beer sales in stadiums before it hosts the World Cup in six years. The Russian soccer union chief has already been calling on the country to bring beer advertisements and brews back to Russian soccer stadiums.

went to brazil, uruguay, paraguay, argentina and chile in 2008. personally, i'd skip the skiing and spend all your time in brazil, its huge amazing country and traveling with skis and ski equipment for a month or two in a country with no skiing is a huge pain in the ass.

I was still stoked to have visited brasil and then ended with skiing in the andes. its just a big pain in the ass to catch buses, taxis, carry skis on crowded subways, etc. that coupled with the paranoia of thinking your skis will get jacked at the hostel your storing them at. i'm trying to go back for the world cup, but i think i will just focus on staying in brasil and seeing more sights there and leaving the skiing part for another trip. there is A LOT to do in brazil, i don't think you will get bored in that country.

for those looking to do the brasil 2014 world cup and then go skiing, i would suggest trying to fly to bariloche/santiago/mendoza from sao paulo or rio. I bussed it and took my time getting from brasil to argentina (spent a week on a beach in uruguay en route). if you take the bus route get ready for some long bus rides. i wouldn't suggest driving..... its probably a 24-36 hour bus ride from sao paulo to buenos aires, 18 hours from BA to mendoza, 18 hours from mendoza to bariloche. thats a lot of time to spend on a bus if you don't have a few mo nths to kill in south america.

I have heard it is pretty hard to get into Brazil on a Visa and pretty expensive, but the poster above mentioned $150 and ways to avoid. Can someone confirm the $150? That is way less then what I had been hearing. I want to go to the World Cup, just curious how hard it is to get into Brazil and travel around.

Thank you
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Hugh Conway Guest
    Brasil visa is trivial to get. Embassy fee (currently $160 for a tourist Visa in a US passport because of reciprocity aka Bush fucktardery) + Mandatory Processing fee (currently $20) in the US. Mail your money and your passport to the consulate in Houston (for CO residents):
    http://houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-u...nformation.xml
    unless you've got some criminal record it's just a tit for tat money shakedown.

The above poster was talking about the Argentina "visa reciprocity fee" currently $160 which you pay if you show up to a major airport but could avoid if you are crossing by land. Chile has something similar. Unless you take a bus (as mentioned long and slow) you'll end up paying somehow - Paraguay requires a visa; Uruguay has poor direct flight service from the US.

Must go to this... too many Brazilian connections and I hear they like to party.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Brasil visa is trivial to get. Embassy fee (currently $160 for a tourist Visa in a US passport because of reciprocity aka Bush fucktardery) + Mandatory Processing fee (currently $20) in the US. Mail your money and your passport to the consulate in Houston (for CO residents):
    http://houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-u...nformation.xml
    unless you've got some criminal record it's just a tit for tat money shakedown.
    The above poster was talking about the Argentina "visa reciprocity fee" currently $160 which you pay if you show up to a major airport but could avoid if you are crossing by land. Chile has something similar. Unless you take a bus (as mentioned long and slow) you'll end up paying somehow - Paraguay requires a visa; Uruguay has poor direct flight service from the US.
    My son did this mail passport to Texas for Brasil visa thing not long ago, it is an annoying unavoidable shakedown, plus mailing your passport back and forth takes time, and if you need to speed up the process to make sure you have your passport back in time for departure then you just get socked with more expedite and next-day-air costs. As usual, thinking ahead saves money, as usual we did not think ahead enough.
    We hope to make it down for the 2014 Cup too, but definitely will not be dragging skis around the cities, street crime is real in Brasil and hauling skis and back-country pack around just makes an obvious foolish-looking sore-thumb target.