Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Be gentle, total newb with some questions (WA state).

So i recently (arrived sunday) moved to WA state from Vermont. For years fly fishing has been one of those "I'd like to try that sometime" things for me, now that i live spitting distance from the Nooksack river in maple falls I feel like i'd be stupid not to give this a try.

So.. where do I start? Rod? reel? flys? things to read? people to know? spots to fish (or try)? I've really got no clue. Is this something you can teach youself, or should I try and find someone to hold my hand on this?

thanks in advance for any help

You can count on people actually being helpful in this forum.

I don't know the rivers and have only been steelheading in WA but a decent 4wt or 6wt set up for trout should do and an 8wt for steelhead if you go that route...spey if you really get the itch. In WA, I'd make friends with people who know the water. Many of the rivers close to the coast only harbor small resident trout to my knowledge but I am prolly not in the know....again, leading me to advise making friends at a local shop or with somebody here who knows their shit.

I can say, as you move east in your new state you will encounter some good trout water. There are also, surprisingly, some decent bass fisheries in the middle of the state too. OR hosts some great fishing....

Get into salmon and steelies....trout will be a bonus.

Congrats on your move. I am sure you are looking forward to ski season already. As far as fishing in the area I dont have any knowledge. I would find a local shop and buy some gear as described above. Some shops will include a casting lesson when you purchase new gear. That would be a big help getting started. You can kind of compare a fly shop relationship to the kind you might have with a local ski shop. Of course my fly shop closed last year and the nearest one in 30 minutes away.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

oh, I'm still skiing, part of the reason i moved here was the whole "turns all year" thing. I was thinking fishing would be great too though. I'm going into bellingham tomorrow, what should i be looking for in a good shop? same stuff as a good ski shop? (douchy attitude towards beginners/large selection of high end stuff)

thanks for the help, hopefully someone from around here can chime in with some thoughts.

For hilarity check out:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/ completely moderated and everyone's special.
    IMVHO, since you are in Bellingham, I would start with a 6 wt., (possibly with a fighting butt), and fish the coast for coho and sea run cutts. The same rod will work for trout on the streams until you decide to go whole hog and get a 3 for small creeks, 7 or 8 for steelhead, etc. But go to a couple shops.

I'm actually up in maple falls, about 30 min from the coast, so i doubt I'd be fishing the ocean unless i get a job in town and start fishing up there after work. With that in mind should I probably get something lighter then?

I should probably just go to a shop...

I figured as much, but the ocean is big, and the fishing on the coast is fun. 30 minutes is nothing out here in the big ole west, dude. Yes, go to a shop and develop a relationship, just like a ski shop in that regard.

Well then, other than what I suggested about the 6 wt. it's hard to know what you'll like. All the companies have starter kits that compared to the shit I started with cast great. Like: http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=242794
    I would also make sure to get 4 piece rods, as 2 piece suck to travel with.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I figured as much, but the ocean is big, and the fishing on the coast is fun. 30 minutes is nothing out here in the big ole west, dude. Yes, go to a shop and develop a relationship, just like a ski shop in that regard.

Well then, other than what I suggested about the 6 wt. it's hard to know what you'll like. All the companies have starter kits that compared to the shit I started with cast great. Like: http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=242794
    I would also make sure to get 4 piece rods, as 2 piece suck to travel with.
    I know it's not far, but I figured the closer the better in terms of getting me out the door to practice and what not.

Makes sense on the 4 piece rod, I'd like to take this backpacking and what not.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Pass Lake on Fidalgo Island is a flyfishing only lake (I'm sure Sportsman's Warehouse in Mt. Vernon or Bellingham can give you heads up on it). Sea-run cutt fishing in the Nisqually or any of the Skagit tribs should be good. Check the regs hard, because many of them are closed from time to time protect anadromous runs. Sea Run cutt fishing off the beaches ( you aren't actually by the "ocean" techincally its Puget Sound) and many of the Island areas is good. Takes a bit to figger out tides.

You can get away with a 6-wt for all around fishing and dredging lakes, but when you start trying to punch heavy flies into a stiff westerly on the beach you are a little undergunned. Also, there is the chance you'll connect with a silver, pink, or king off the beach. 6-wt ok for summer runs steelies but again a little light.

Not sure who is still in the biz for mom and pop flyshops north of Mount Vernon.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Not sure who is still in the biz for mom and pop flyshops north of Mount Vernon.

Yea, i've been looking around for a local type shop and have come up empty. I'll check out sportsman's warehouse I guess.

if you've got the cash, arrange a day trip with a guide...they'll provide the gear and you can learn a crap load

my first book was this one

link here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/23mfpkd

seems a little dopey at first, but it, quite frankly, has the essentials

and now, my son loves it as a bedtime book

also, get this book

http://books.google.com/books?id=cqN...page&q&f=false

and the others for Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Nothern Cali, etc

I most certainly do not have much extra cash right now so I think the guide is probably out, books are probably affordable though.

EDIT -

So i've been doing a bit of googling, is the closest fishing shop really wholesale sports in burlington wa? they have some rod/reel combo deals that seem pretty reasonable too, anyone have any experience with any of these?

http://us.wholesalesports.com/storef...c20202-p1.html
    Last edited by samthaman; 06-10-2010 at 03:12 PM.

I was also going to suggest finding a a good shop and talking to them about the different opportunities in the area...then go for a half day guide trip...if you can't afford that...go to the shop and then to the library. Don't buy anything till you do some reading...you may find a hookup on here or craigslist for used gear once you figure out the kind of fishing you want to do.

If I was new to an area and was going to buy only one book, it would be from the "Flyfisher's Guide to" series. Here is the one on Washington:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Guide-Washington-Wilderness-Adventures/dp/1885106580"]Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Washington (The Wilderness Adventures Flyfisher's Guide Series) (The Wilderness Adventures Flyfisher's Guide Series) (9781885106582): Greg Thomas: Books[/ame]

This book will also list shops. Look for shops that also have guides...they are usually the best. Here is one 27 miles away: http://www.streamsideflyshop.com/
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    I most certainly do not have much extra cash right now so I think the guide is probably out, books are probably affordable though.
    Check out goodwillbooks.com. I just got my first order from them today, a few flyfishing books for OR. Good stuff.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

nice heads up on that website, unfortunately they didn't have it. Amazon did for 1.87 though, which was certainly within my budget.

I'm actually up in maple falls, about 30 min from the coast, so i doubt I'd be fishing the ocean unless i get a job in town and start fishing up there after work. With that in mind should I probably get something lighter then?

I should probably just go to a shop...
    Canyon Creek off Canyon Creek Road off HWY 542...is decent and a nice walk.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    if you've got the cash, arrange a day trip with a guide...they'll provide the gear and you can learn a crap load
    He better have cash if he wants to flyfish
    4 weight zxl ($600) for the trout with a major named barstock reel ($200), 4 weight fly line $70
    7 weight z axis for steel, with a $400 reel,
    9 weight xi2 with a $500 reel,
    7 weight loop opti spey, $900. Plus blah blah blah.

Or just buy from albrightflyfishing.com

yikles, I was thiniing fishing because it was more packable and cheaper than a kayak. maybe I was wrong....

Look on youtube for flyfishing instruction. There is at least one 15+ part series that has good info to get you started on the basics. After that you'll have a good idea what you need to learn and know enough to start asking questions.

Read local fishing reports. Google the bugs they mention and start to get familiar with the major groups, mayflies, caddis, stones flies, and midges, then try to understand basic life cycles for each group. Once you can do this, there's a diminishing return on studying entomology, so save the Latin for later.

Learn where your target species likes to live and feed. Because I'd never fished before starting fly fishing this was the most useful thing I learned. You can do everything wrong, but if you do it right in front of a trouts nose, you'll still get the occasional strike. And of course the inverse is also true.

Try and find someone who will take you out, and give you a few pointers. I've found a lot of people like to teach and talk about fly fishing. Offer to pack lunch or bring a couple beers and only ask for about 15 min at a time. You can usually get more then you can absorb in that time, and your buddy still gets to fish. Which means you might get him to do it again.

Learning to cast is important, but for trout, if you can get the fly out 15-20' you'll be fine, especially in spring and early summer when the water is higher. So don't let that keep you off the water.

Resist the urge to spend all your time on the famous water. These places have big fish, but it can often be difficult and frustrating. A small local creek will be a better classroom for you. Then take the occasional trip and try to transfer your skills to the bigger water.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

here is a good local websight, often I look here and wish CO had such a site...

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/cgi-bin/home

you realize just thinking about fishing you have started down a path that you will never leave. I dont know that you can just fish a little.

it is packable, I take it on my back on bike, moto or pack and catch fish in lots of different places.

dont spend a shitload at first, just keep it simple. this is a sport where people excel at not keeping it simple.
    believe me its real.

yikles, I was thiniing fishing because it was more packable and cheaper than a kayak. maybe I was wrong....
    Mixing metaphors, but, just like skis, it ain't the horse, it's the cowboy.

nice heads up on that website, unfortunately they didn't have it. Amazon did for 1.87 though, which was certainly within my budget.
    Damn, can't complain at that price!
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

fuck him! I am having the best warm water fishing of my life on a 10wt rod/reel I got here for $200. you can totally get by with spending small money on a beginner setup, or even a good one for that matter. What were you thinking on spending? I am sure the collective will have many ideas within your price range. Guide services are whats usually most expensive but it is a valuble tool for learning the area as well as learning the sport. Did you see the orvis reel for sale here?
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    What were you thinking on spending? I am sure the collective will have many ideas within your price range.

Did you see the orvis reel for sale here?

I was hoping to get functionally setup for under $200. There are some rod-reel combos for sale online for ~100, but i have not idea if they're total crap or not. Beyond that, what else would I need? leaders? flys? waders?

I did see the reel, I just didn't know if it was anything that i'd want or not.

http://us.wholesalesports.com/storef...od1101893.html