TR: Shit for Brains Couloir 5.22.2010

This past Saturday Ethan and I skied Shit for Brains Couloir near Abasin. We skinned from the CDOT shed on US 6 up to the base of the couloir and then booted from there to the top. As we approached the base of SFB there was one group ahead of us, who were moving really slow, or so we thought. However, upon arrival this was quickly explained by a delicious combination of breakable crust and postholing through the bottom third of the couloir! The rest of the way up was smooth sailing. The descent followed the same route back down. Last year I started at the CDOT shed and followed the ridgeline to the North of SFB up, and would definitely say that following the ridge is significantly easier, though not nearly as fun.

The views on the way up were wonderful:

Dave's Wave

Marjorie

The East Wall

Ethan approaches SFB

Up!

Up!

More beautiful views from the top:

Grays and Torreys

Buffalo

Dry Gulch

Me

Ethan

Ethan

Ethan

This can only end well

Overall the snow conditions varied from frozen avy debris to smooth corn. But its hard to beat such easy access, a good climb, and a good ski!

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    well done.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

good shit...looks hella fun

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    The reason I stopped and talked to you at Loveland was because I recognized Ethan's jacket. If it had not been for that, I wouldn't have known it was you.

Was thinking about doing that last weekend, looks a bit beat and chunky but fun as hell. Nice work
    215 to carry and the tour stars laying up

Nicely done!
    I miss that place, seeing the pics or Torreys and Grays really brings back some great memories.

Nice work dudes. How steep is that in its steepest place would you guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Nice work dudes. How steep is that in its steepest place would you guess?
    It seemed kinda steep hiking up, but not really when skiing down. I would guess it tops out at the mid 40s to maybe 45 degrees. But, it is consistently steep the whole way!