Thread: Humor the noob

Humor the noob

Picked up an old Lotus single speed road bike to dick around on in the neighborhood. It has cinelli drop down bars and some shitty weinmann brakes. I plan on throwing some of those straight bars (I don't know terminology) you see on fixies on my new rig and maybe puttin some new brakes on in the process.

What decent bar and brakes would you suggest? I don't even know where to begin.

What is the bike parts analog to WTF is SAC and Tramdock? I saw a mention of Nashbar in my searches.

thx

huh hummm, anyone???

You can get your girl pants at chainlove.com

I think that is all I dare...

Bontown= SAC for leg shavers

Chain Love= SAC for mountain bikers, seems to be very FR oriented

(^^Neither are just analogous to SAC, both are part of the BC.com family^^)

Nashbar/Performance= If AlpineZone ran a bike shop

Pricepoint= No real skiing equivalent, Great deals on closeouts, OEM parts and lesser, but still decent deals on regular new, non OEM stuff

JensonUSA= Pricepoint with a slightly better selection, much better web site layout and service that is better than some local bike shops. Sometimes PP has better prices, sometimes Jenson, really depends on the week and the item.

CambriaBike=if that ski shop that fucks up 3/5 mounts, yells at you, then fills the holes and redrills, but occasionally comes through with sweet deals and ok service ran an online bike shop

AEbike=average prices, good customer service, huge selection, outdated website

FWIW, I bought something at Bonktown today and will be placing both a Jenson and a Pricepoint order tonight. If I need something odd that the LBS doesn't even stock, I go to AEbike. I will not shot at Cambria and try to avoid Performance/Nashbar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

The bars are pretty easy- just get the right width that you will like and maybe a bit of rise if you want to sit more upright. Also do not forget to get some grips as you will not be taping those up like most road bikes. Otherwise- just get the same or very close diameter as the old drop bars on the singlespeed so they fit in the stem you have. If you are looking to get the brake levers, then you have to know what will work - most likely a set of mountain bike brakes that have no shifter integrated. You can spend a bunch of extra money ordering the wrong stuff online from a site that does not allow returns. I price the local bike shop too since they are knowledgeable and sometimes even as cheap because or a parts discount and no shipping charges.

Killer, some great starter info for me. I plan on hittin up a local shop and being humble and ask some questions. The bar switch seems pretty intuitive, but as you said, I dont need to be spending my dough on incompatible stuff.

And I am aware that I need to start buying pegged pants, mesh tops and shave my legs.

Hit up Recycled Cycles in the U-District, they are pretty good at cobbling stuff for older bikes together (new/used/or both), or if you are feeling charitable head down to Columbia City and visit Bike Works. That reminds me, I need to get back down there and start volunteering again, I haven't done much since I started working again.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
    Hit up Recycled Cycles in the U-District, they are pretty good at cobbling stuff for older bikes together (new/used/or both), or if you are feeling charitable head down to Columbia City and visit Bike Works. That reminds me, I need to get back down there and start volunteering again, I haven't done much since I started working again.
    Thanks for the recos. I was speaking with oftpiste today and he also mentioned the folks on Stone Ave but I forget their name.

2nd on recycled cycles.
    Also, give me a call.
    I'm sitting on a lot of stuff that could easily flow out the door to a new home for a nominal fee.

Big Tree on Stone Ave mostly for mt. bikes, but they'll help you with anything if you're not too much of a dick.

Wright Brothers in Fremont for vintage projects. He's got tons of knowledge and parts, but needs to know you're real people before he'll give you too much time or open the parts stashes.

Mark, you're gonna look great in the pegged pants.

ACH, thanks man, may hit ya up

And thanks for the reminder Phil. Also shaved last night. I will give ya a buzz today for sure regarding other stuff.

Second Ascent in Ballard and free range cycles in freemont also have random selections of used stuff. www.blueskycycling.com has cheep deals, not a big selection and I dont know about road parts?

your stem/bars are probably an odd-ball 26.4 cinelli size, so you would need to get a new stem or buiild some shims (cutting beer cans).
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Not sure if anyone is really tracking this thread but I have a few more questions and don't want to clog up this area of TGR with my inane shit.

1- I couldn't find any bontown or variation thereof online. Was bontown, as referenced by dumpy, slang that I am too noob to get?

2- My first investment on the new rig with be some new wheels. The rear is a pretty nice alloy mavic with a pretty sweet bullseye hub. So, do I have to buy a set or can I just get a front wheel?

3- Depending upon #2, anyone know where I can get a decent deal on a wheel(s). They are 27 inchers, which I suppose are not common (but dont know for sure). Looks like I may need to buy smaller diameter and then get some new brakes.

Thanks folks.

Why the fuck don't you just call your neighborhood old bike dude, doofus? Trying to JONGED or something?

1.BONK town
    2. Yes. One wheel is fine
    3. Recycled cycles is probably your best bet. DO NOT go the smaller wheel/new brake route. Huge pain in the ass. Trust me. That Coppi I showed you (not the Pinarello)? I tried to do it on that one and wish I hadn't.

bonktown

you can just buy a front

there are 27" rims out there, most will not be that great though... you will sorta have to look around
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Why the fuck don't you just call your neighborhood old bike dude, doofus? Trying to JONGED or something?

1.BONK town
    2. Yes. One wheel is fine
    3. Recycled cycles is probably your best bet. DO NOT go the smaller wheel/new brake route. Huge pain in the ass. Trust me. That Coppi I showed you (not the Pinarello)? I tried to do it on that one and wish I hadn't.
    I'll put ya on speed dial, but don't get snippy when I call you at 3:30 am after a case of beer to ask you if my brakes are brakey enough.

Was down at Recycled Cycles today and they seemed super chill but forgot to ask them about the wheel questions. Phack, they have a ton of cool shit hanging from their ceiling.

And thanks Marshal...and thinkin I'll leave the cinelli bars on. After hoofing it all over town with the huge gear I have on there now, I need them.

Learned a lot here. I'm on 27's too, there's quite a few rim/wheel options, i'm not going there yet, even tho my rims are straight, not hooked, which limits pressure to 75-80, i'm cool with it, comfy ride...

aren't you supposed to be golfing or at a timeshare or sumpin?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Chop that fukker down, get some big long chopper handlebars, some of those big horns and the little plastic dangley things that trail off the handgrips.
    On second thought, don't. I'll get stolen too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Chop that fukker down, get some big long chopper handlebars, some of those big horns and the little plastic dangley things that trail off the handgrips.
    On second thought, don't. I'll get stolen too quick.
    Not with the playing card/clothespin in the spokes it won't.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

27's are only like 4mm different than 700c I run a 700c rear on my fixie and a 27 up front. I've run a 700c up there too and cant tell the difference.