Tioga likely open for MM Day

...but will they have it in time for the mini?

Mono County officials expect Tioga Pass to be open by Memorial Day. The latest reports from the National Park Service say that plow crews have made good progress toward opening the Pass Road.tiogaplow

Tioga Pass remains closed, but Park Service crews have pushed through to Tuolumne Meadows. Working six days a week, park crews report that the plows had about five miles to go to reach the pass. Park officials say that Caltrans has plowed to the pass from the east side.

Mono County plow crews have also been at work on this group effort to clear the important thoroughfare for the Eastern Sierra. Now that Caltrans has plowed to the pass, Mono County will work from east to west to meet up with the Park Service crews which will head up to the pass from Tuolumne Meadows. County officials say the goal is to have the road open by Memorial Day, though the Park Service makes no guarantee that the road will be ready.

In years past, the section of the road at Olmstead Point has been the scene of danger and difficulty in dealing with avalanches. So far this year, the crews have plowed through this area. Crews are assessing this area and others on a day to day basis to check on the avalanche danger and determine if measures such as blasting need to be taken.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

hmmm, keeping fingers crossed for open only to the park gate from the east for next weekend. And still wondering about 108 ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

still closed at Kennedy Meadows from the west - last I heard, they'd made "good progress" - no idea what that means, I was not given a mileage or location to where they've plowed - I was also told that there had been some equipment and personnel issues slowing them down - I can't imagine that they have not gotten to LL turnoff from the east side

I'll keep asking around.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

thanks Mike, keeping fingers crossed. If things stay cold and windy this weekend ... well, then I'm hoping it stays closed till the following week

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

you're welcome to stay at our house on your way to and from Sonora Pass or if you want to to some day trips

GiBo said in the Tahoe thread that he heard this weekend......

hellz yeah!

spoke to a guy @ CalTrans today who says 108 is punched through all the way over the pass, but they have some work to do widening it and doing road & guardrail repairs, cleaning drains, etc - estimated Friday opening

That's weird. I got an email yesterday from a lady from Caltrans saying that they are only to Kennedy Meadows....

Only open to Kennedy Meadows. Has been that way for a few weeks. She was only telling you where it's currently open to. I called the Area Superintendent's office in Jamestown and was told that the road is clear, more work needs to be done, and they are hoping to fly the gate on Friday.