Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

190 wailer 112 or 191 lhasa for the spring?

Which of these skis can better handle spring conditions? I'm on the EC, so we get good corn, bad corn, mank, mash potitties, and the rest of the gamut. Lhasa looks a little more versatile in all conditions, though I do not doubt the the wailer is competent. Either would be the go to ski for softer snow all season long, from november to may. I'm a good enough skier, like going fast, slow, steep, and mellow, pretty much ski the whole hill in search of fresh. Either will be used for touring too. Can anyone who's been on both this spring chime in?

Silly question.

No doubt the Lhasa is a far superior ski in these conditions. While I love dps skis I do so for their BIG POWDER stuff not for carbon s7s.

And I absolutely love my 186 Carbon Lhasa's which are the best all-around skis on the planet Earth.

I do not actually why you are looking at the 191 length for the EC. While you can ski even 196s why bother. You do not need this type of length in tight-ass trees.

Also, how do you imagine a ski with huge rocker and 110-120 cm contact length would perform on icy patches and in the bumps???

I skied the 186 Lhasa everyday last year on the EC. When I went out West I wished I had something a little longer but they were perfect everyday ski (beside bulletproof) out East. I think the 112 might have a little too much rocker and not enough running length for those firm EC groomers and everyday conditions. Haven't been on the Lotuses but its hard to find a ski better than the Lhasa for a wide array of conditions.

the 112s do not like icy frozen cut up shit. I suppose no ski excels in those conditions, but 112s were not ideal at abasin on saturday
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by dingjong View Post
    I do not actually why you are looking at the 191 length for the EC. While you can ski even 196s why bother. You do not need this type of length in tight-ass trees.

Also, how do you imagine a ski with huge rocker and 110-120 cm contact length would perform on icy patches and in the bumps???
    I'm leaning toward the 191 mostly because I'm a bigger dude, 6'3" and 200 lbs. My daily driver is a non-rockered 186, which is pretty perfect for my needs, just don't want to lose too much stability in shitty snow with the rocker. As long as the 191s don't tend to get locked up on their edges I think it should be easy enough to slash through the woods.

Good point on the wailer though, definitely thought about the big rocker and short running length, but dps makes this sound like it can shred anything. Lhasa is sounding better.

I have Lhasa 191 (and wailer 188), the Lhasa is super versatile even with mixed conditions. While ice is not its forte, still can handle it quite proficiently (considering its dimensions), for all other conditions, it's just a dream. I am using them right now in these weeks for touring here in the Dolomiti and all i can say is they rule. I am getting the wailer 112 as well, which I'll be using exclusively for touring (with Dynafit, while I have Diamirs on the Lhasa) while he Lhasa is my daily driver ski. ciao.

Conclusion - get the Lhasa's they are SEX!

Let's see: You can get an over priced Chinese ski, or a ski made and designed in Reno by old guard Powder Mag dudes.

DPS can still go fuck itself. As far as I'm concerned, no matter how well their skis ski, they're worth about $400 max. They are doing the sport a great disservice by charging what they charge just because it has a layer of carbon fiber in it. Wow, big deal, so does just about every Fischer ski, and they cost half as much and are made in Austria, probably by people who ski.

No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^ Lets see we can post stupid shit or...... in addition to probably skiing neither of those skis I'd say Jers right your dumber than a box o rocks. there is a bit more than a strip of carbon in dps I wish they could make them here using ski bum labor but not my call.
    so having skied both albeit just a few runs on the rp112 and the splatula vs. the 138 I'm not wild about the exagerated tip rocker. For me it's kicks ass in deep untracked pow but doesn't do much for me in other conditions. No sure why. I suck at reviewing skis So I'd say I find the lhasa to be more versitle, but found myself touring a lot on lotus 120's this season on pow days. Part of that was the dynawhompers on my lhasas are getting a bit worked, but i love the addional float and the way the 120's ski I hope WPS scores a pair of rp 112 as I'd like to mess with the mount point a bit and ski them a bit more to dial em in. theyre both kick ass sticks and probably similiarly priced next season. Although I bet Splat sells lhasas to stuckatbrokeback mountain for $400
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    the 112s do not like icy frozen cut up shit. I suppose no ski excels in those conditions, but 112s were not ideal at abasin on saturday
    Just out of curiosity, are you skiing the Pure or the Hybrid model?

My 2 cents...I have not skied the Wailer but I own the 186 glass w/ Dukes and the 191 w/ Jesters. In my opinion the 191 is signifcantly more nimble than the 186 glass. I'm sure the Dukes have something to do with that, but I think the softer flex and significantly lighter weight of the ski make it easier to throw around than the 191. I would rather be on the 191 in tight trees (and almost all other situations). Or if I lived on the east coast and I was your size I would probly just buy these right now:

FS: PM Gear 192 BRO's New with Lhasa Tip [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192842"]https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192842[/ame]

Well, the first RP112 to hit this continent showed up at the SIA show at the end of January. There are not too many people who have more that a handful of runs on them. I'd say that the jury is still out. Lhasas have been proven to be workhorses time and time again. Damn, by now, their almost old school. Right now, the RP112 are for those of you who want to be ahead of the curve, or for the DPS faithful.
    ....and yes, WPS will have some RP112 to play with. Next year, the format will be changed, and there will be even bigger discounts for tried and true long time maggots.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

DPS can still go fuck itself.
    dude, what is your deal? you are entitled to your opinion and all, but being so negative reflects on YOU much more than it relfects on what you are hating on.

i got nothing but love for splat, he makes great products and is a great dude. he and stephan have a great relationship. they see each other as comrades with a similar goal to make great skis. not enemies at each other's throat's.

yes, dps skis are laminated in china. materials are sourced from US and austrian distributors. the skis are designed and engineered in utah. if you ethically have an issue with that, no problem... but they are not "chinese".

dps is 6 employees working to make cool, high performing gear with the best technology and at the best price they can. this is not a corporate entity making a killing, its a few ski bums looking to squeek a living out, just like the cats at pmgear.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Not only that, but I will add that each and every person at DPS who I have met, or talked to, is professional, courteous, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

Marshall, you probably have more hrs. on both the relevant skis in this thread. I've been waiting for your input
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    yes, dps skis are laminated in china. materials are sourced from US and austrian distributors. the skis are designed and engineered in utah. if you ethically have an issue with that, no problem... but they are not "chinese".

dps is 6 employees working to make cool, high performing gear with the best technology and at the best price they can. this is not a corporate entity making a killing, its a few ski bums looking to squeek a living out, just like the cats at pmgear.
    ^^^^Seriously, some folks are not getting the whole global sourcing concept. In my experience, DPS QC via China seems stronger than Volkl's. So those 6 guys are keeping their eyes open and managing to pull off something that eludes or disinterests Jarden Corp. Makes ya wonder if it's the people that count rather than the country of manufacture/origin/assembly...

Get both. I have the 196 carbon Lhasa, and am getting the 112rp for touring.
    Last edited by plugboots; 05-17-2010 at 09:48 AM.

I'll be skiing the 112RPs all day Saturday & Sunday at A-basin, so I'll offer up my take (probably Monday night) on their spring conditions performance.

Let's see: You can get an over priced Chinese ski, or a ski made and designed in Reno by old guard Powder Mag dudes.

DPS can still go fuck itself. As far as I'm concerned, no matter how well their skis ski, they're worth about $400 max. They are doing the sport a great disservice by charging what they charge just because it has a layer of carbon fiber in it. Wow, big deal, so does just about every Fischer ski, and they cost half as much and are made in Austria, probably by people who ski.

Um yeah.....not sure if you're talking out of yer ass or actually had a bad experience. The skis are pricey new but my 138's are probably the highest quality and best crafted ski I own (well maybe a tie with my '10 Praxis Pows). Also, can you call a Fischer company owner on his cell phone to talk details about the ski design and mount points and what not?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Dude why would someone with stucks immense ski knowledge ever call anyone and ask for advice? Or pay $400 for a ski when you can get the some of the best skis on the market for $333 and then reverse the chamber
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Marshall, you probably have more hrs. on both the relevant skis in this thread. I've been waiting for your input
    both are awesome skis, but they do things differently. the lhasa pow is like a awesome all mountain ski that skis pow really really well. the w112rp is a pow ski that skis all mountain really really well (except for cut up refrozen terribleness like nick said... but who the fuck wants to ski that?)
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

marshal,
    which skis are your demo 112rp's; pures or hybrids?
    also which length? 190 only, or do you have 178's as well?
    Aggressive in my own mind

i only have 190 pures.

jfe is rocking them at a-basin this weekend.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

your post is filled with technical fail. however your factual errors are so obvious, perhaps you're making a huge joke. there's no way anyone could be dumb enough to post these obviously wrong statements while thinking they were making a good point.

to help you pull your head out of your ass, I've bolded the parts that are easily shown to be wrong.

i have 2 pairs of bros in the garage, and 2 pairs of carbon DPS's. both good companies.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I have skiied the 191 Lhasa in mammoth hardpack, crud and sierra cement. Also in Utah and small unamed CA resort with tight trees (Baldy) and they excel at most everything. More of an all mountain pow ski I would say. They rip on groomers and have great swingweight. In the light utah fluff they slice rather than float. but hell my toons are about the only thing that passes for floating in 4% utardia blower.

I am adding hybrid 190 RP112 this year because I loved the Super 7, but hated the swingweight (overall a 12 lb pow ski - 18 with dukes - heavy).

My lhasas (191) are barley 13lb with Jesters and wow, awesome fun. You cannot go wrong with the Lhasa as a one ski quiver. It does everything very well. Are there better ice/groomer skis, sure. Are there bertter pow skis sure. But for an all mtn groomer and tree ski i love them. they ski like a 185 in the trees and like a freight train on the hardpack. have never been to the east, but mammoth hardpack aint soft at all. Great edge hold as well. So, happy hunting....
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)