Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Mt. Williamson (14,375 ft / 4,382 m)

Location: Mt. Williamson (14,375 ft / 4,382 m), Eastern Sierra

Dates: Friday, May 7 – Saturday, May 8, 2010

Skiers: Enginerd & UCL

Photos & Video: UCL (unless otherwise noted as Enginerd)

Weather: Both days were bluebird, with warm temperatures and no wind on Friday, but a 20-30 mph wind up high on Saturday.

Avalanche Conditions: We did not encounter any instabilities in the snow pack on the ascent or descent. The snow is undergoing a strong freeze/thaw cycle (although cold winds on Saturday kept much of the snow from significantly thawing).

Synopsis: After finishing the Sierra High Route, my plan was to meet Enginerd and ski both Mt. Tyndall and Mt. Williamson. However, after skiing along the Tyndall Plateau on Day 5 of the SHR, I did not think the North Couloir on Tyndall was worth the massive approach to get back there. While it is an aesthetic line, Enginerd and I would rather save Tyndall for summer climbing on the East face.

Therefore, our plans were changed to only ski Mt. Williamson, the 2nd tallest peak in the Sierra.

We went up the traditional approach of the North Fork of Bairs Creek, which is a massive effort: (i) approximately 10 miles round trip; (ii) 8,560 feet of climbing; (iii) maximum elevation of 14,375 feet; and (iv) approximately 6,000 feet of a ski descent.

VIDEO TRIP REPORT:

Similar to my recent trip to ski the Crescent Moon Couloir on Roundtop with Enginerd, this TR is actually two TRs in one. The first is a video TR which shows both the ascent and video of the ski descent. With peaks of this scale, I believe a video medium really captures the size of the undertaking. Not to mention, it has some good tunes and some cheesy commentary. Sound is a must.

PHOTO TRIP REPORT:

Pushing aside being the 2nd tallest peak in the Sierra, in my opinion Mt. Williamson (or “Big Willy”) is far and away the largest. The mass of Mt. Williamson is both intimidating and calling.

This macro shot from the town of Independence shows part of the ski descent. The large bowl on the upper portion of Mt. Williamson (lookers left) makes up the bottom 3rd of the decent. The top of the bowl is marked by a steep couloir, which then swings to the right up to the summit out of view. The upper bowl that cannot be seen is S-facing on Williamson (and this shot is of the East face).

UCL gearing up for the trip. Photo: Enginerd

Enginerd contemplating the approach.

A special note on the approach: once you hit the snow line (around 8,000 ft), it is relatively quick moving and we made fast time from that point. The approach from parking at 6,000 ft to the snow line, however, is B-R-U-T-A-L traveling. There is no trail and it is generally side-hilling steep slopes with sage brush, loose pebbles and rocks and little to hold on to.

Mike Schwartz from The Backcountry in Truckee and others I know have done this trip in a burly, extremely long single-day push. Obviously, you need to be acclimatized to do this, but I think the real key would be to really have the approach nailed. We followed the guide book and beta from Mike and others (e.g., going through the “Notch”), but I still found the approach to take up most of the time.

One last bit of advice – carry your boots and wear trail shoes. I generally hate carrying my boots and hike in them (as I did here), but the terrain involved a lot of smearing on rocks, etc… - stuff that does not bode well for boots. My Titans now look like I have worn them for 4+ years and the rubber is pretty trashed. I am going to contact Dynafit to see if I can replace the sole blocks, as I am pretty surprised the rubber sole got mangled as much as it did in one approach hike – should definitely last longer than it did. No blisters, though – shows how awesome the tour/hike mode in the Titan is! Other than extremely soft rubber, a superior touring boot!

Spring is in full swing in the Eastern Sierra.

Here is a good example of the approach terrain you travel through en route to Big Willy. Photo: Enginerd

At the top of the “Notch”, you can generally see the route up towards the snow line, but the terrain is uncompromising and you are still in for a butt-kicking! Photo: Enginerd

Did I mention there are fourth/fifth class & boulder moves on the approach? To reiterate, wear approach shoes! Photo: Enginerd

The approach generally takes you through the drainage of the Upper Baire Creek. One thing that becomes immediately visible is the avalanche debris from winter slides. And I mean LARGE DESTRUCTIVE avalanche debris. Entire trees ripped from the ground, large boulders dislodged, etc…

I am going to try to tattoo that picture in my brain for next season as yet another reminder of the potential of avalanches.

Here I am working across some slide debris. Photo: Enginerd

After several hours, we finally hit the snow line and start making substantial progress skinning towards our anticipated camp.

We had left the trailhead around 10:30 because our goal for the day was only to get up to around 10,500. Although I felt acclimatized from Sierra High Route, Enginerd would need to sleep around that elevation before heading higher. As usual, Enginerd rocked the trip, with no altitude issues and climbing strong and fast.

Enginerd skinning as we loose light over the bulk of the mountain. At this point, it was only 3 or so, but looks later because of lack of light.

After reaching approximately 10,500, we dug out a nice platform for our floorless Go-Lite shelter and set up a good camp. Here, I am boiling water while Enginerd finishes setting up camp. Photo: Enginerd

Our view from camp, down 4,000-5,000 feet into the Owens River Valley.

After a good night’s sleep, we awake at O-Dark-Thirty for our alpine start to the ascent. Here, Enginerd and I are looking super pumped to be awake:

First light is hitting from the East, and you can make out the tiny lights of the town of Independence.

We make good time and get on the move quick. All of the snow on the ascent is frozen from a good freeze/thaw cycle. While I had ski crampons, Enginerd did not. In any event, we both realized that booting with regular aluminum crampons would be the quickest and most efficient way up the main slopes (in addition to the steep couloir).

So we strapped our skis to our packs and proceeded to climb approx. 4,000 feet to the summit (allowing the snow to warm and soften in the process).

The sun continues to rise in the East. Photo: Enginerd

Cool shot of Enginerd booting with the walls of Williamson looming over. If you watch the movie, I think it captures the size of this place well.

Enginerd booting up towards the Eastern Couloir – the gateway to the snowfields of the upper mountain.

Another cool shot of Enginerd being dwarfed by Big Willy.

UCL following behind – I always fall behind because I take so many pictures and the video. Enginerd mentioned afterwards – “every time I look back, you have your gloves off and are filming things”. I love that aspect of climbing/skiing – capturing the beauty and solitude of the mountains we love. Photo: Enginerd

Last edited by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer; 04-06-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Although several hundred yards away from each other, Enginerd and I both apparently got the same idea to capture our shadows from the Eastern sun. Photos: Enginerd & UCL

Enginerd continues towards the East Couloir (which is a nice 35-40 degrees).

Enginerd working up the Couloir… I love the perspective with a wide-angled lens on the steep Couloirs.

Close-up of a prominent rock formation at the exit of the Couloir, with the Owens River Valley in the distance.

UCL climbing below the formation. Photo: Enginerd

Enginerd and UCL climbing in the Couloir, respectively. Photos: UCL & Enginerd

At the exit to the Couloir, one encounters several thousand feet of upper snow field, with a great pitch of 35 degrees. At this point, we were making very good time.

Enginerd booting the upper snow field, with crampons still the preferable method of travel.

UCL following suit, approaching the summit cone. Photos: Enginerd

Enginerd on the final push to the summit. Note: both the picture and video are deceiving. There is actually a double-fall line, and off to lookers left takes you to a entirely different drainage. Therefore, on the ski from the summit, Enginerd was careful to hop-turn the appropriate fall line.

Enginerd cannot travel any farther without a jet pack.

Obligatory summit shots. The Southern Sierra follows behind Enginerd, with Mt. Russell and Mt. Whitney (with its arching back), the tallest peak in the lower 48.

UCL on the summit. Photo: Enginerd

USGS Summit Marker. Photo: Enginerd

Altitude from my watch.

To those that want to climb some of the routes on the East Face of Mt. Tyndall, here is a close-up shot. Enginerd and I certainly plan on being back in here during the summer. Beta: It looks awesome. Big, clean granite up to above 14,000 ft.

Coverage in the Sierra is ridiculous this year. Here are a number of panoramic shots from the summit in all directions.

Looking West (towards the Sierra High Route):

Looking North:

Looking South:

Enginerd preparing to ski from the summit. Note: The actual descent is on the video.

After strapping in below the summit, Enginerd and UCL prepare for an approximately 6,000 ft ski descent (the longest in the Sierra to my knowledge).

Enginerd way above, descending the upper snow field.

… And properly straight-lining the run-out with his tracks above. UCL’s descent of the upper snow field is in the video.

Here is a sequence of UCL descending the East Couloir. Enginerd’s descent is on the video. Photos: Enginerd

Sequence of Enginerd skiing below the Couloir for yet another 1,000 feet of vert. Honestly, 6,000 feet of descent.

UCL following suit, back towards camp at 10,500 ft. Photo: Enginerd

After packing up camp, we continued down for another 2,000 ft. of descent to around 8,000 ft. at the snowline. Here, UCL skis some soft corn. Photo: Enginerd

It was all fun and games back until the snowline. Then the reality set in that we had to hike back through the mess that was the approach. Fortunately, time was looking great (as it was around 1 PM).

More technical rock moves by yours truly. Photo: Enginerd

Here I am, pumped to be sidehilling on tiny pebbles again! Photo: Enginerd

As a finishing touch, we got back to the car, headed to Bishop for some great Mexican food, and were treated to some Sierra Wave. Photo: Enginerd

awesome TR.

Followed Davenports Cali 14er trip and those are some bad ass areas. Very nice again

http://chrisdavenport.hookit.com/mem...port/blog.aspx
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Not sure who's who here, but one of you two has a giant gaping shadow vagina...

Ski it. It'll make you feel good.

Oh boy!

Right in my backyard but never have the time....

Awesome TR man. Between this and your Sierra High Route TR it makes my list of places to check out. The big couloir is super aesthetic on Williamson.

Although the Sierras are many times bigger, the approach video driving along the dirt road really reminds me of the San Luis Valley/Sangre de Cristos here in Colorado, with 14'ers erupting from the valley floor.

Good stuff man.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Corking TR

strong, strong effort
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Rad!

Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Yeee Haw

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

that was awesome.

strong strong work guys. way to bag a big one!!!

I'm pretty sure I'd have gone for a soak in a hot spring after the sierra HR.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

choice!

what a slog!
    excellent TR!
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

dude, you're really gettin' after it there

Strong work...that approach looks like a real bitch, but it appears it was worth the effort.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Strong work...that approach looks like a real bitch, but it appears it was worth the effort.
    It was definitely worth the effort...though this was up for some debate for a while

Excellent work on the TR and video as always!
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Absolutely killing it lately boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Great work to ski a great-looking run.

That low bushwack looks just as nasty as I expected. I tried it North Fork Bairs a few years ago, but the thrashing thru the bottom was so bad that I just gave up. I just didn't have the strength and conviction you guys did to get up it.

A couple of seasons later I did get to ski Mt Williamson from around the west side, without any bushwhacking -- but didn't get to ski that big east-side run like you're showing here.

The older wisdom preferred North Bairs, but from the map it looks like you chose the (south) Bairs creek cirque -- and made it work.

Great to see so much snow -- wish I could be there.

Ken

Sick bro, sick.

Hey... congrats! and what a great TR! Thank you!
    The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

CA 14ers are huge! Way to get it done! Those boulder moves on the approach look like a pain with an overnight pack with skis!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Once you've knocked off the CO 14erz you'll have to step up to the contiguous US-erz...