Page 9 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liamy View Post
    Hi. I'm 5 months out form my fracture, also a severe one. My leg still doesn't have full extension. I'm close, but not there yet. I think what has helped me the most is this.....I get on my bed and lay on my belly. I scoot to the edge do the bed, so my legs are free hanging. All the way until my knees are just over the edge and then put a pillow or towel roll under the thigh of the bad leg. I started doing this at the advice of my PT at about 4-6 weeks post-op. I could only do 2 minutes at a time, and it would bring tears to my eyes. I now do 30 min at least once each day. I also will get myself down onto the floor while I'm watching tv and sit with my legs straight out in front of me and let it try and go straight. Even with all this, it's still not straight. My PT and doc agreed to get my into a splint. I haven't received it yet, I think I'll get it Wednesday. It's called a JAS splint. It looks like torture but it should help.
    I think that the extension is slower and more difficult to come back that the flexion is. If you're going to start to bear weight, work on your flexion.
    I wish you luck!!
    amy
    P.S. if your PT can get you in the pool for therapy....do it!!! It's amazing!!
    thanks will have to try sometime!

I had my revision surgery post opp appointment --from changing out a screw that had come out a few centimeteres and froze... I'm comming up on 2 months and I was supposed to be back at work but now its six more weeks of non-weightbearing. My doctor says it came loose because I put weight on it, I said no I did not... all i did was the thousand leg lifts...at which point he laughed and said 50 I said 50. which is not what he said he said a hundred at a setting ten times a day. turns out he meant a thousand seconds. 10 lifts 10 seconds, 10 times a day... Now at the initial assignment I protested and asked everybody in sight! REALLY 1000 lifts a day...but the guy just dosen't hear questions... and he shouldn't play physical therapist, pts give you diagrams and make sure you understand. Be an adequate achiever, require a second surgery! Double your downtime. So he says NO SWIMMING! NOTHING! I am not used to this heart rate depression so I've just taken to eating a half pound of hard candy a day. other days I take a lortab with grapefruit juice --just one--I like to mix butterscotch and cinnamon for a warm loved feeling in my mouth at least. What a crappy lot of time to think about how empty my life is without exercise! oh well, God Bless America, its not amputated.

Hey all. Thought I'd add something to the thread. I was a regular on TGR for years. TPF happened, I stopped skiing, and been off the radar since then.

Anyway, I'm back. Injury was in March '08 at age 35. Grade 5 fracture, two torn meniscus, torn MCL, and ACL spine avulsion. 5 screws and a plate. Had hardware removed August '10. It's been so much better since then.

Just finished a season of ice hockey. Getting back to Mammoth this winter for first time since the injury. Starting with snowboarding, then we'll see.

Hang in there everyone. Do what you can do to be active. Find something new if you have to. Talk to people about it. The mental aspects of an injury like this go overlooked. Don't let depression get to you.

I've had a fracture of tibial plateau type IV (Schatzker scale) on the 25th of March. I couldn't start PT until 6 weeks from the surgery. I've been doing PT over the last 7 months and I'm not able to do full leg extension (it's less than 5 degrees buyt still) and flexion (I reach 90º after posture and the terapist mobilize my knee, otherwise I can only go to 85º).
    Now I'm going to surgery again to take out OS material (a plate and 9 screws), do manipulation of the knee joint under seddation and cut some of the fibrotic tissue that can be delaying my recovery in order to improve flexion.
    My doctor doesn't know what he will find so she doesn´t give me bad/good news, "let's wait to see, she said!".
    It's a fucked up surgery I can tell you that!
    Hope that someone can tell me if they could reach more improvements than those I talk about, thanks.

I had a knee impact injury Oct 16th with the result of a tibial plateau fracture of my leff (off) leg. I had surgery Oct 29th, so now I am at the 7.5 week point. The surgery consisted of the insertion of a titanium L-bracket plate (probably 4" x 2", the member widths are probably 1/2", and the debth maybe 1/4", its is very slender) and four screws to secure the fracture reconstruction. At the six week mark, or half way through recovery, my x-rays showed perfect bone and fracture alignment healing, along with 100% physical therpy recovery. I can now perform anything with my left leg that my right can do. However, in order to ensure a healthy recovery, weight should not be applied to the leg (this could disassemble the fracture and require another surgery). My orthopedic surgeon, at the six week mark, recommended that I now begin to apply what he called "leg weight", and I should begin using a new crutching method in order to do so. I should "walk" with the assistance of the crutches, no different than actual walking except i use the crutches synced with my left leg's steps, and apply 20ish pounds or so. I really want to begin putting more and more weight but I am a careful patient; I really do not want to go through another surgery.

Now, I am in search on individuals who have been through this type (or similar) surgery and can provide insight. Even though I am due for 4.5 more weeks (really 3.5 because he said at 11 weeks I should be full weight bearing) of recovery with now only the application of leg weight, I am concerned with the level of stiffness I have. I no longer have any pain ever really. Simply stiffness, which increases with use. The longer the period where I am out and about crutching around (seriously I have not let this injury impair my lifestyle), the higher the level of stiffness is, but it never becomes too bad. But, it definitely does not feel like it would be a comfortable amount of stiffness to be walking with. The stiffness location seems to be around the joint and not necessarily at the location of the plate. Since my physical therapy has recovered in full, I have no longer have means to monitor recovery progress besides my level of this stiffness. The stiffness decrease seems to be happening very slowly or plateauing (which obviously I hope is not the case). I want to talk to people about if and when this stiffness will fully or near fully dissipate, and if there are other ways to possible help with the decrease of my stiffness. Remember, there is no pain, just stiffness. Please help, thanks!

Since I am original contributor to this thread it's worth posting my update.

Finally got out on skis after 19 months since my injury. Despite being regimented about PT I experience some pain and was tired from knee stabilization but overall I felt strong. When straightening I am stil not as over extended as my other leg but I am able to get to 0 degrees. Day after skiing and feeling fine, no unreasonable stiffness or swelling. I definitely loss some quickness overall but feels good to be back on snow.

okay... im doing much better... my doctor okayed for me to bear weight of up to 30 lbs on the 17th of nov. and my therapist still hasnt began applying any weight for me! what should i say or do? when im at home i have been just using one crutch to help me get the feel for walking again, and occasionally i can take about 5 to 10 steps unassisted but i have been noticing that the more i work my leg the more it swells and aches! i can completely straighten my leg and i can bend it at 110 degrees! and does anyone feel like they are in the way because they are down and unable to do a whole lot for yourself? i have been finding myself depresed over the issue lately

Candice, you are at the stage where you should be aggressive with your recovery. If you do not get the proper advice from your physical therapist you need to find a new one. I am almost four months out and I am walking with a cane and I am 100% weight bearing. I am at full extension and flexion is 130 degrees. I owe all of this to my therapist. I have excersise's I do at home everyday as well as pt 3 times a week. If you can't do 3 times a week then find out what you can do at home or at a gym. I would not be where I am at without the great work and advice from my therapist. The pain is going to be there, the swelling and stiffness is going to be there, but the daily excercises and stretching and walking with deminish all of it. You have to work through it. I too have struggled with it all as well as the mental part, depression is common but you have to make a choice whether you surrender to it or work through it. It is very hard but the longer you stay committed to it the better you will feel. Good luck!

Good news

Hey, I've seen alot of negative posts on here i just thought I'd put a positive one up here to show that things can go right. I fractured my right tibial plateau 3 months ago skating. I start weight bearing at 6 weeks and began doing alot more PT. I started riding around 10km a day and pushed it 25km by the end. I also worked with my physiotherapist and kept up with most of excercises. I can now run, surf and I am back skydiving. Stay strong and keep up with your PT!

Finally a forum that applies to my injury

I was in a vehicle accident Oct 7th 2011 which left me with a fractured tibia that my OS said was the most unique he has seen in his career. Fractured just below the knee and also split the tibia the full length of the bone. How do you post a pic? ( i have several of my x rays). I am 50 and very active at work and around my farm. Nothing can prepare one for something like this. Hospitalized for 6 days for swelling to go down then surgery by an amazing doctor. 2 plates 22 screws and a lot of pain later I was sent home to in home to in home therapy/nursing. Sent them away after 3 weeks. Next PT outpatient 3 days a week. My other leg was pretty beat up from the accident as well so I have been using a walker and electric wheelchair since I am still NWB going on 11 weeks. Thanks to a very skilled therapist and staff I have full ROM atrophy has been the hurdle. Hopefully my OS will let me begin to try to walk again after my visit day after tomorrow. As many have said the bad part is relying on family and friends for anything I can't do for myself which covers a lot of tasks. I would like to thank all who have posted their experiences with this. I guess you until one has a life changing experience like this you don't understand the emotional/physical rollercoaster.
    I can't wait to return to work but that's another problem since I work 12 hr shifts on my feet. Long road still but I miss it anyway.
    If I can answer any questions please ask. I am sure I will have more later as this healing process moves along at the snail pace it does. Not sure what to expect but sounds like i will be looking at more swelling and ankle foot pain. When can you drive again?
    thanks
    jesse

Quote Originally Posted by 97r82 View Post
    I can't wait to return to work but that's another problem since I work 12 hr shifts on my feet. Long road still but I miss it anyway.
    When can you drive again?
    thanks
    jesse
    Hi Jesse. Sorry that you ended up needing this board. I've found a lot of helpful info, I'm sure that you will too.
    I also work 12-hour shifts and am on my feet for most of it (I'm an RN). I'm at 6 and a half months post injury and I think that I'm close to starting a three month return to work program. I'll start with short 4-hour shifts (seems nearly impossible!), and I will gradually work my way up to full days again.
    I had a terrible grade 6 tibial plateau fracture and a spiral fracture of 2/3 of the tibial shaft. I have a 12" plate and 14 screws.
    I started driving about four months after my fracture (my right leg).
    I wish you the best! Remember that it will get better.....it will just take a while! This journey sucks!!
    amy

Hello Amy
    So we both have damaged right legs. I have never broke a bone before. I don't bounce as good as I used to but I did live thru this wreck. No head injuries, No internal bleeding. Severe road rash, a bloody nose and a really messed up leg. This has been an eye opener to say the least. The world is not handicap accessible as a rule. Sounds like you are on the road to getting your life back? I am trailing several months behind you. I will walk soon or go crazy. This has been very hard to deal with.

By the way I have a new respect for the nurses. I had several very good nurses and aids plus one not so good hopsital MD. The nurses and aids made my stay as bearable as possible. They had their hands full at first. I am not the most patient person and the pain was un believeable. Morphine did not work. They finally gave me alladded (don't know how to spell it but it was the ticket). I think I will go see them when I get well to let them know how much I appreciated the care given.

My kneecap hurts at full extension unless they tape it to one side. Hopefully when the muscles all return the kneecap will quit floating around? Sure don't want a scope anytime soon. I hate the goofy feeling from the Loratab so I avoid them except before therapy sessions. We will see when I start putting weight on the foot? I guess we do what we need to do right?

Returning to work will be a pain in more ways than one. I am a machinist/mechanic so that keeps me on my feet too on concrete.They typically don't let us work back into the job. 12 hrs or nothing. 3 on 3 off. Time will tell. I really hope the doc will let me start weight bearing Wed.
    Good luck with you return to work program. I bet it won't seem so impossible after you get to it. I thought the the PT was nuts when she told to do 20 straight leg raises 8 days after surgery. I could not force the leg to raise period. She helped me with first couple and it was not fun but it would raise. Anyway good luck. keep me posted with your progress or setbacks if that is the case.

thanks

Hi Jesse.
    Funny, because this has given me a new respect for patients! I'm a trauma ICU nurse, so you were likely in a unit similar to mine. I take care of people much more broken up than I am but I don't see any of the aftermath. I only see the acute phase. This has really opened my eyes to the other side of it.
    This surely is a life-changing injury. In many ways.
    I look forward to hearing about your progress!!
    amy

Sponsored by ductape, your post was pretty sweet. Its not sweet enough to make me take up whitewater or mt ski but I am ready to walk my four miles a day to the pizza oven along the riverbank through knee deep snow like last year--and after that (plus one year) I'll try cc ski if I find a second hand pair... ready in my head atleast. Another appointment on thrusday, I'm cheating and took off the imobilizer pre x-ray--series of dreams about running) how can my knee be both tight and wobbly? Like I need another limiting confusing dichotomy to toss into my visible physicque, I walked funny before! Like being a bearded young childless fat annorexic girl/lady on a three speed bike with an alternating lazy eye wasn't bad enough! I know what I said about church, and resolved to change that, I was thinking about the sevneth day adventists but they actually wash feet and check refrences so billy take your love to town money jerk of the eyeball crown is not a great letter writer--no credit is worse than bad credit? but never was I churchelss. Folk music is still for fat people. I have slowed down on the boiled sweets a little bit, but my liver couldn't yet tell. poll: weight gain I'll go first 15lbs. luscious now.. found out leptin inhibits calceorous (spell fault) whatever growth, like the tp... so if you were a fat kid, or you pig out in your body prison, your tp is not as strong as it could be, but the other kind of bone is growing in hormonal bliss--stronger. Leptin is a hormone manufactured in fat cells... I've got snake skin but on metabolic scales, once a fat kid always a fat kid-- to the bone! 15lbs and my pants still fit... atrophy even in the belly. Happy Birthday Steven Hawking. I'm not laughing, your majesty. You make me feel pathetic! Who dosen't like it like that?

Hi Amy
    Glad to hear I am not the only nearsighted person caught up in the rat race. I have spent a lot of time around ICU units in the past with family members but never been in the nice comfy bed with room service. I am sure you have trouble seeing the forest for the trees after you treat thousands of patients. Long hours, short staff, budget cuts, politics and co worker attitudes all take their toll on you but when you get this much time to reflect on you job it humbles you and makes you realize how good it really is. I make very good money, good benefits. I am blessed with a loving family and a host of friends who care.
    I guess if anything we get a reality check anytime major changes happen such as this accident. I am 50 years old not getting any younger and my wife has health issues as well. I plan to make quite a few changes to our house as time and money allows. We plan to live here for a long time to come (been here 25 years). My house is not handicap friendly at all. Bathroom doors to small. Shower/Tub combo has to go. Carpet needs to be wood flooring or tile. We now have a deck ramp to the door for wheelchair access (thanks to my friends and family). I need to get to work as soon as I am well enough. That should prepare me for my return to work as well.
    We went to the OS today. He said start trying to walk. Increase weight on the leg as pain allows. I have been putting around 20% on it while using the walker most of the day. Feels good to stand up but the leg feels weak. No heal pain just stiff feeling in the knee. Went to therapy this afternoon. The only real pain is the short straight leg arcs (can under knee with a 5# ankle weight). Glad that is only for 5 minutes. It has hurt my kneecap from day 1. I am sure they will dream up some more cruel routines but as you said before sucks to be me. Seriously my leg is where it is at because I have such awesome PT people and I have tried to do everything they asked plus anything extra I can muster. I don't smoke so that was a plus. The OS gave me a bone stimulating machine (smith nephews ultrasound magic machine) to use 40 minutes a day. That is easy. The exercise bike is also a lifesaver. I will hit the treadmill if the weather gets nasty but today was a high of 60 degrees so outside I was for several hours. That helps a lot mentally too.
    I go back to the OS in a month until then therapy 3 days a week. I already feel so much better mentally. Wheelchair is just about to go back to my dad's storage shed. Walker for now but I need to buy a cane soon. I think the multi legged cane will be a better choice.
    I hope you continue to recover and get back to working and enjoying life soon. Let us know how you are doing.
    thanks

I have a VI as well, low speed (under 10MPH) on a small motocross bike. It's unbelievable to me how severe my injury is for what I was doing. I've also been using PPI acid reducing drugs for close to 15 years.....
    Quote Originally Posted by eases View Post
    I have a tibial plateau fracture I knew it was bad when the ER doctor yells JESUS. I fracture my tibia in more then 12 places. They stop counting after 12. This happened last year Halloween. Basically I used this site as a guide to gauge my recovery. So I am close to one year till recovery. I have 15 screws, two plates and an compartment syndrome and countless surgeries. First, as a scientist,I know the fundamental of physic. An object falls at 32 feet per second, I did the math and I fell 4 feet on my feet, I did not even reach the maximum seed of gravity. I think it was around 18 miles per hour, i can run faster then that! My surgeon, who got his major in physics, did not want to comment. One thing we all have in common. We all broke the hardest, dense part of the bone. I think studies show the tibial plateau area fracturing point is about 1000 pounds per square inch, that second hardest. The first hardest and dense, is the femur. Normal sidewalk concrete is only 500 pounds per square inch, at best, this give you some idea how hard its to fracture this part of the bone. I personally think, the acid reflux medicines I have been taking for 15 years may be the reason. My doctors all deny it was caused by the medicine, but they all refuse to prescribe any more medicine for acid reflux. Studies have shown that taking these medicines or PPI's increases your risk by 30 to 50 percent of fractures. I did the mathematical percentage if I did not take this medicine and experience this fracture accounting for (age, sex,how why injury, using the Schatzker classification system (mine was 6) The percent chance for me to fracture my Tibial Plateau Fracture was 0.001 percent . Now compare 30 to 50 percent with PPI's and 0.001 percent without PPI's. I not a betting man but If I had to put my money on, it would be the 30 to 50 percent caused the fracture the odds are 30,000 to 50,000 to 1. So for you newbies to the club. Start reading from page one until the last page. You got nothing else to do but be in your bed, so start to learn how to heal yourself. You will know more then some of these doctors and even surprise a few. Everyone who has posted I thank you for encouragement and advice

Well, I know I haven't got any friends here... but I'm pretty good at pretending till I get banned. "I care!" says the internet continuing snarkily, " Don't give up! " at three months almost I get walk with crutches premission...this is good. Still no offer of PT at all, just another appointment in another month. I'm guessing this will go on till I cancel. If I want to walk I will, pt or fancy machine like you other side of it ers on here have or not. I used to be among you before my job with insurance broke me then fired me. no point in that now. those days are long gone. It hurts today, I crutched with landing for three hours. Cars all over town honked in I guess encouragment. I fanticise that I could go down to the river and watch someone else crow foot dance for encouragment, but jez is it lonely in this place where the library branches are named after indian tribes. We are all the best of us each one dead early in some places. I will go and try to find a crane to cry with tomorrow as people offer me nothing but digital whorded wall confusion. The birds feet and knees are made from fingernails and they can fly. pretty soon a lot of time will have passed....
    i can't help but wonder about thease pains and whats behind thier doorways . .. for now I can feel the hungry grinding munch of some tiny lose teeth and I woner what they are eating, and if the act of being eaten will nourish on the spot and turn a hungry for masticating joint into a locked down silversteen peanut butter sandwich reliablity and endurance restored for entralling heart rate risen knee. I'll swim in the cold water soon, crawl to the hot shower from the slippery deck. Saw a kid belly down on a skateboard just yesterday and thought, am I half in india ? How did I get such excellent care and what can I possibly do to thank anyone ? Witout money my credibilty is a total drain, empty gratitude is another burden --proving again that emotions are worthless intoxicants.
    Last edited by sudyshewo; 01-06-2012 at 04:24 AM.

10 miles!

I'm not on a real pogo stick though its a thought for my fashion/function temporary assistive device collection... it would match my moods. So the first day of doctors clearance went really well. The carbon souls made a nut-headed rally around an english walnut tree over by Brooklyn Car wash. What I mean to say is, I didn't see an oriel, just a woodpecker, and it was an astounding 55 degrees on my ten mile walk hobble. Humans were as cooperative as I can expect them to be. When dancing with a metling snow drift, encouraged I think by my frenetic (sudden spillway) energy release, jumping three full feet forward onto previously dry blacktop, without wind, a grumpy but entranced security guard came at me like my crutches might be machine guns. She's new, I've been dancing there for years. On to the soft ground then I went. I went nuts in the mud till I thought my keys fell off my neck and the uh oh oh no chorus found me barefoot in doggie corn meal twice delivered. uck. but the keys were within me all along. I don't usually like to dance to paul mccartney's spoiled red hellicopter, but I guess wanted the maximum spirits possible to rally a level of comprehension and aide. the radio is free and I went to bed pummled by meat hammers. Slept better, didn't have to wake and shake but once or twice and I went more smoothly on the house sit bike than in a long long time. My arms sure did recover fast. I hope the peanut butter growling isn't from large crystal formation, but if it is, I hope it gets sanded as it goes without pierecing tear power. I don't hear the meniscus ache when I'm going, so I better get going again today. It after 4pm and its getting dark. I slept till 1:30 pm, almost 14 hours. On person offered me a ride but I told him, "I can feel the methane bubbling up from the sea floor, it's irresponsible to drive, unless you have too." I wish sometimes I had a car that ran though its gasoline that got me into this mess. He said, "You're right, you are right, God Bless you Miss!" As the muffler dragged out echoing thunderclaps. Today we lost about 10 degrees but the buds are WAY ahead of schedule so i have to go scold some encroaching termites. The crack is consistent every turn in a certain way. That makes it permanent eh? its gonna take a bit longer to find any gratitude in that. Maybe I'll pretend its not there a while.

This is probably one of the most depressing forum threads I've ever read!

23 year old; had a compound tibia plateau fracture whilst skiing on 21.12.2011, ski hit a rock and my leg flew against it. Got rushed into surgery hours afterwards and got two screws in.

The docs there had me doing PT to bend my knee few days after but I was then carted back off to the UK (26.12.2011) where they've put me in a full leg cast (no ROM), and said I should have it removed in 6 weeks.

Not been on pain meds since the operation, and stitches were removed when they put the hard cast on a week after surgery. The doctor initially said 3 months until I can go skiing, but then another said 4.

Getting bit worried that I'm having no possibility of ROM. Is it worth trying to find a specialist and forking out the money?

I want to get skiing as quick as possible... I've already lost 3 holidays due to this, and can't race for a lot of my university's races (last year), last one of the year is March 24th to 30th.. Think its unrealistic given everybody elses break on here...

How were things with peoples ski boots? Did they need re-adjusting? Anything I can do in a full leg cast besides monotonous leg raises? How do you keep sane? It's starting to depress me now.. Especially with the Alps getting 5m of snow already...

Miketheskier
    At first glance this forum probably does look to be depressing. The reason you found it is you have one of the most serious fractures that a healthy person could endure.
    I fractured my tibeal plateau and split the tibia full length Oct 7th,2011. Just began weight bearing this week. Luckily my ROM is excellent but i can tell you it is a long painful road to recovery. I would say it will be at least a year before any kind of activities you did before. Everyone is different. Concentrate on ROM and strengthing you legs so you can walk when the time comes. The rest will come in time. Keeping you sanity is another issue. Not sure how that is possible? Maybe someone else can help you there mine is almost gone.
    thanks
    jesse

walking sort of

Hi Jesse. Sorry that you ended up needing this board. I've found a lot of helpful info, I'm sure that you will too.
    I also work 12-hour shifts and am on my feet for most of it (I'm an RN). I'm at 6 and a half months post injury and I think that I'm close to starting a three month return to work program. I'll start with short 4-hour shifts (seems nearly impossible!), and I will gradually work my way up to full days again.
    I had a terrible grade 6 tibial plateau fracture and a spiral fracture of 2/3 of the tibial shaft. I have a 12" plate and 14 screws.
    I started driving about four months after my fracture (my right leg).
    I wish you the best! Remember that it will get better.....it will just take a while! This journey sucks!!
    amy
    Amy
    I have been weight bearing going on a week tomorrow. The leg is getting stronger every day. Gave up the walker yesterday for crutches. One crutch today. Aches a lot but starting to get more confident. Feels good but kind of strange to just stand straight up on two feet. Therapy 3 mornings a week. They are getting more intense but that is good. Walking as much as I can stand. Doc said let pain guide the way so I have pushed it a little. Sure tired by mid afternoon. Hope you are still making headway?
    thanks
    jesse

Amy
    I have been weight bearing going on a week tomorrow. The leg is getting stronger every day. Gave up the walker yesterday for crutches. One crutch today. Aches a lot but starting to get more confident. Feels good but kind of strange to just stand straight up on two feet. Therapy 3 mornings a week. They are getting more intense but that is good. Walking as much as I can stand. Doc said let pain guide the way so I have pushed it a little. Sure tired by mid afternoon. Hope you are still making headway?
    thanks
    jesse
    That great to hear. I seem to go in cycles....I feel great for a few days followed by a day or two of increased pain and wanting (but resisting) to go back to the cane. But the good days are lasting longer and my bad days are shorter. I had an "episode" about a month ago that landed me back on two crutches and no PT for two weeks! It was devastating! But ever since then, I feel like I'm making big improvements. I had PT this AM, and my extension was measured at -1. I have an awful JAS splint to help get my leg straight and I think it's finally working.
    I saw my OS yesterday and he said that I may want to think about a different position at work. Again, devastating. I cried the rest of the day. He thinks that I'll be able to return to work, but that I'll have a real hard time. It sucks not knowing what will happen. One way or another, I have to know that it will all work out. I just totally love what I do and can't imagine anything else. Bummer.
    Keep it up......
    amy

Keep going Amy it will get better

That great to hear. I seem to go in cycles....I feel great for a few days followed by a day or two of increased pain and wanting (but resisting) to go back to the cane. But the good days are lasting longer and my bad days are shorter. I had an "episode" about a month ago that landed me back on two crutches and no PT for two weeks! It was devastating! But ever since then, I feel like I'm making big improvements. I had PT this AM, and my extension was measured at -1. I have an awful JAS splint to help get my leg straight and I think it's finally working.
    I saw my OS yesterday and he said that I may want to think about a different position at work. Again, devastating. I cried the rest of the day. He thinks that I'll be able to return to work, but that I'll have a real hard time. It sucks not knowing what will happen. One way or another, I have to know that it will all work out. I just totally love what I do and can't imagine anything else. Bummer.
    Keep it up......
    amy
    amy
    I wouldn't let a doctor make up your mind about your future as a RN. You know how they are anyway. Most won't give you the answers you need in fear of telling you something that will bite them later. If indeed you can't stand on your feet a full shift after you have been totally recovered their are other options in you field but I would concentrate on building stamina and show the OS he is wrong about you. This whole situation sucks but the mental part is the worst I think. I am just now getting a better attitude. The non weight bearing period was the worst for me. 11 weeks of depency for most everything I suppose. Hang in there you have it whipped now. Going back to work too soon might set you back more. I know when I go back I will have to change some work habits. I normally walk around 20 miles in a 12 hr shift. I can make that less if i plan my movements until my body will take that again. You might start thinking of some stuff like that. Well I am heading out to PT this morning so I need to get ready.
    thanks
    jesse

It has been just over 4 months and I just put the cane away yesterday. I still have a slight limp but getting around ok. I started back to work after being off for those four months, I am part time until the end of the month then I start full time. I still do physical therapy but I am down to once a week and I now go to the gym and do most of my therapy there. As far as work goes, I to am on my feet all day, I have a 3 buildings I have to go back and forth to but I am doing it slow and easy. I still have pain n my lower back, my hip, foot and my knee but the more I do therapy the better it will get. I know the mental part is the worst but it has helped me just getting back to work. I wish everyone success and good health, stay positive and keep doing your therapy.

amy
    I wouldn't let a doctor make up your mind about your future as a RN. You know how they are anyway. Most won't give you the answers you need in fear of telling you something that will bite them later. If indeed you can't stand on your feet a full shift after you have been totally recovered their are other options in you field but I would concentrate on building stamina and show the OS he is wrong about you. This whole situation sucks but the mental part is the worst I think. I am just now getting a better attitude. The non weight bearing period was the worst for me. 11 weeks of depency for most everything I suppose. Hang in there you have it whipped now. Going back to work too soon might set you back more. I know when I go back I will have to change some work habits. I normally walk around 20 miles in a 12 hr shift. I can make that less if i plan my movements until my body will take that again. You might start thinking of some stuff like that. Well I am heading out to PT this morning so I need to get ready.
    thanks
    jesse
    Jesse,
    Thank you. All the things you said are things that I know. But it's so hard to stay positive all the time. I'm just back in a funk. I know that one way or another, it will be ok. There are other things I can do. It's not the end of the world.
    This is the hardest thing I've been through. Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement. It is appreciated!!
    Talk soon......Amy