Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Just found this site. I fractured my tibial plateau (had to look that up) on 9/17/11. Went to the ER that evening and I guess I knew it was not good when the Dr. told me "you broke the shit out of it". I didn't get to see my surgeon until the 9/20/11. He looked at the x-ray and scheduled surgery for 9/28/11 and sent me to get a CT scan. I did not see him again until surgery. I had no idea what was going to happen. I woke up and the doctor had already talked to me and explained what he did (so I am told). He also talked to my wife, but was pretty sketchy with details and had to get to another surgery. I do not go back to see him until 10/11/11. My leg is swollen from the knee down and the pain can be intense at times. I have a bandage on it and a brace that looks like it can bend at the knee. To be quite honest though, I am stuck in bed and don't know what to do. I have removed the brace and only put it on if I have to get up (most of the time). I have tried to get up and sit in a wheel chair for a short time just to get out of this bed, but I can't last long and the pain sticks around for quite some time. Doctor never even told my wife to change the bandages (which we did) or any kind of treatment. Just sent me home with a bandage, brace and a really cool ice pack that hooks to a cooler. OK, I guess I will quit venting now, but can anybody tell me if this all sounds normal. Am I suppose to be doing anything that I am not?

Hey Fithgear,

Did you get a Constant Passive Movement (CPM) machine? I did. I also got that fancy ice machine. It rocks, as long as the air compressor pump doesn't break (which mine pretty much has because I used the shit out of it ) - good thing for the hand pump. Anyways, the CPM works on your range of motion. Talk to your doctor or your insurance company about renting one. I'm in the straight leg brace too. And pretty much was either bed or couch bound for the first 4 weeks. Now I get out like 1-2 times per week for coffee or lunch and then back home - icing, elevating, and in the CPM, and doing PT. Have you got a Physical Therapist visiting your home? These are more questions to ask and ways to advocate for your health and treatment. It's not an easy road, you need to stay engaged in your care. Don't let your doc blow you off; keep asking questions and getting clarification on what you can do to help your recovery.

Best,
    Erin

Anybody with foot pain????

Hi. I'm starting to weight bear after three months. I have terrible foot pain with any pressure I put on it. It's from the ball of my foot to my toes. I'm assuming that it's from all the time that it wasn't being used. Have others experienced this? I'm hoping that didn't have an undiagnosed injury to my foot.
    Thanks....amy.

Sounds really frustrating! I'm 3.5 months out from "the worst" t.p. Fracture that my ortho seurgeon had ever seen. I had surgery three days after the break and was in the hospital for a total of a week. The first two weeks at home I was pretty useless. It was extremely painful, I couldn't really even get up by myself. I spent all day and night in a recliner (I still spend most of my days in it, I'm in it right now!). I saw my doc two weeks after surgery and that's when I started physical therapy. I go twice a week. From what I've learned, it's important to get that stiff, painful knee moving as soon as it's safe. It hurts but it's important. I was non weight bearing and on crutches for 12 weeks and am just now starting to walk. Its been a long road with so much longer to go.
    Be your own advocate! It's your surgeon's job to educate you and answer your questions. Call his office, talk with his nurse or PA and get all of your questions and concerns addressed. This is your leg and you have to live with it the rest of your life. Don't be shy!!
    I wish you the best!!! Good luck!
    amy.

Quote Originally Posted by fithgear View Post
    Just found this site. I fractured my tibial plateau (had to look that up) on 9/17/11. Went to the ER that evening and I guess I knew it was not good when the Dr. told me "you broke the shit out of it". I didn't get to see my surgeon until the 9/20/11. He looked at the x-ray and scheduled surgery for 9/28/11 and sent me to get a CT scan. I did not see him again until surgery. I had no idea what was going to happen. I woke up and the doctor had already talked to me and explained what he did (so I am told). He also talked to my wife, but was pretty sketchy with details and had to get to another surgery. I do not go back to see him until 10/11/11. My leg is swollen from the knee down and the pain can be intense at times. I have a bandage on it and a brace that looks like it can bend at the knee. To be quite honest though, I am stuck in bed and don't know what to do. I have removed the brace and only put it on if I have to get up (most of the time). I have tried to get up and sit in a wheel chair for a short time just to get out of this bed, but I can't last long and the pain sticks around for quite some time. Doctor never even told my wife to change the bandages (which we did) or any kind of treatment. Just sent me home with a bandage, brace and a really cool ice pack that hooks to a cooler. OK, I guess I will quit venting now, but can anybody tell me if this all sounds normal. Am I suppose to be doing anything that I am not?

Hi Amy,

Foot pain seems to be the norm. I had a Schatzker type VI break (the worst one) in late July and recently started partial weight bearing at 8 weeks post-op. My two smallest toes have "electric/tingly" pain shooting through them when I step hard, and the heel, ball, arch, and ankle all feel varied pain as I move, apply weight, and roll my foot while stepping normally. My PT said this is all common due to atrophy, along with the 3 big incisions upstream on my shin & knee, and he gave me some exersises to do, which have helped:

One is to do a toe bending/grabbing movement while standing with feet flat: Imagine making a "fist" with the toes (practice first with your good foot, to see how much your healthy toes can bend). Now make that fist while the foot is planted flat on the floor, as though you were trying to scoop up as much sand as you could while on the beach, (really spread your toes before pulling them back in, bending them as much as you can). Then do this same movement (as tolerated, pain-wise) with your recovering foot. I do 3 sets of 10 over the course of my partial weight-bearing session (2 sessions, 30-45 min each, per day).

The other is foot lifts, (ankle bending) where you keep your heel on the floor and lift your toes as far up as you can. Again, I do 3 sets of 10.

Happy to report that after a couple weeks of PWB work, the foot pain is dramatically reduced. (And my toes can bend almost as much as on my "good foot"). I have some residual ankle stuff and am curious if you, or others, have that too. That ankle has been twice sprained in the past so I'm not sure if that contributes, and this crash may have also resulted in sprain/strain on that ankle that they didn't address at the hospital, since my TPF and broken collar bone took center stage.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by liamy View Post
    Hi. I'm starting to weight bear after three months. I have terrible foot pain with any pressure I put on it. It's from the ball of my foot to my toes. I'm assuming that it's from all the time that it wasn't being used. Have others experienced this? I'm hoping that didn't have an undiagnosed injury to my foot.
    Thanks....amy.
    Last edited by Mr. David; 12-07-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: clarified that initial weight bearing has been partial, not full.

I found that as I was recovering, I spent a lot of time with different muscle groups tired or sore. First it was the heel (after I started walking), then the front of the foot, then other parts of the foot and ankle, and the last thing I noticed was that I was lightly pulling my hamstring from time to time. Those just take time and exercise to get over. 6 months out from my injury, I can jog 2 minutes on/1 off, I have been doing mostly body weight exercises, and spending 30 minutes a day on the bike. Sounds like I'll be back at full strength in december, but the residual pain in my knee may last another year or so.

Fithgear, it sounds like we had the same doctor. Not very helpful at all. My surgeon was very good but just didn't have much time to explain everything to me. I was 54 yo when I fractured mine two years ago. I counted 3 plates and 17 screws on the xray. When I asked the doc about ever getting back to work he would just shake his head so now I'm on SSDI and have decided to retire and draw my pension. Dealing with the pain is the hardest part of the whole ordeal. I go to a theraputic pool twice a week and I HIGHLY recommend that if you have one available. My doc told me that I will eventually need a knee replacement at which point they will remove some of my hardware but he advised me to wait as long as possible as the joint replacements don't last forever (yet). Take your pain pills when needed but don't get addicted to the narcotics. You will eventually get better but it's a long process with this injury.

Hmmm physical therapy is good enough for this scenario i have had my personal experience but its quite expensive and a lay man cant afford it but it got very good results but bit lengthy treatment...........

I broke my tibia in 3 places and my fibula in one on the 22nd of september. I had emergency surgery on the saturday I now have a pin and 5 screws in it which are never to come out I can't put any weight on it for 6 weeks another 4 to go doctor said I might need a second cast than and might have to wait longer before I can put weight on it does anyone know how long it will be before I'll be able to walk normally again?I'm hoping to be at least walking by christmas even with crutches or is just unrealistic?I am 24 years old good health and don't smoke!
    Last edited by clare123; 10-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Welcome to the Club

I have a tibial plateau fracture I knew it was bad when the ER doctor yells JESUS. I fracture my tibia in more then 12 places. They stop counting after 12. This happened last year Halloween. Basically I used this site as a guide to gauge my recovery. So I am close to one year till recovery. I have 15 screws, two plates and an compartment syndrome and countless surgeries. First, as a scientist,I know the fundamental of physic. An object falls at 32 feet per second, I did the math and I fell 4 feet on my feet, I did not even reach the maximum seed of gravity. I think it was around 18 miles per hour, i can run faster then that! My surgeon, who got his major in physics, did not want to comment. One thing we all have in common. We all broke the hardest, dense part of the bone. I think studies show the tibial plateau area fracturing point is about 1000 pounds per square inch, that second hardest. The first hardest and dense, is the femur. Normal sidewalk concrete is only 500 pounds per square inch, at best, this give you some idea how hard its to fracture this part of the bone. I personally think, the acid reflux medicines I have been taking for 15 years may be the reason. My doctors all deny it was caused by the medicine, but they all refuse to prescribe any more medicine for acid reflux. Studies have shown that taking these medicines or PPI's increases your risk by 30 to 50 percent of fractures. I did the mathematical percentage if I did not take this medicine and experience this fracture accounting for (age, sex,how why injury, using the Schatzker classification system (mine was 6) The percent chance for me to fracture my Tibial Plateau Fracture was 0.001 percent . Now compare 30 to 50 percent with PPI's and 0.001 percent without PPI's. I not a betting man but If I had to put my money on, it would be the 30 to 50 percent caused the fracture the odds are 30,000 to 50,000 to 1. So for you newbies to the club. Start reading from page one until the last page. You got nothing else to do but be in your bed, so start to learn how to heal yourself. You will know more then some of these doctors and even surprise a few. Everyone who has posted I thank you for encouragement and advice

I think the foot pain is worse then the fracture pain

do a search on youtube for physical therapy knee, leg and foot. my home vist PT was very surpised how good youtube can be.

TIBIAL PLATEAU FRACTURE

I also had in March 2010, It was Schatzer V, tore my ACL and PCL- its unfortunate that I had no Insurance. I was lucky to have had the Surgery since they sent me home for 10 days for the swelling to go down. Ive had a long recovery and still not able to bend my knee completely I had no physical therapy other than the internet and the research I did. I have a plate and 10 screws one of which is bruising the inner part of my knee. I still limp and my walk is off, it seems as though I walk on a different part of my foot now. I get Stiff all the time, I do want to say to anyone in recovery from this injury you have to push yourself and dont use crutches for to long I really believe this is the part of my problem I have trained my brain to depend on my other leg which in turn has effected my hip. Also get off the pain meds as soon as possible I think that aggressive therapy is the only way to avoid loosing your Quad muscle. which I have lost and now have instability issues. I at the current time still have a positive Lachmens test. Good luck in your Recovery. If you ever have any questions dont hesitate to ask, its always nice to have met someone else who has gone through this injury, sometimes I think people dont understand, its a long hard road. In fact I dont think mentally I have ever recovered, I do know that I want the plate out.....Kamerin

Well, I am 3 weeks out of surgery. Staples have been removed and the incision is healing well. Most of the pain seems to be from the lack of movement. My upper leg (Hamstring area) is very sore. I attribute this to the lack of movement (I hope I am right). There is still a good bit of pain in my knee, but I guess that is to be expected (I did a bone after all). Still no weight on the leg and no Physical Therapy yet. I have a brace that allows 40 degree movement for now. Really not sure what to expect. I go back to the Doctor next week. Guess we will see.

Serious Tibia Plateau Fracture, long-term pain in knee AND ankle, metal coming out

So I'm not the normal type of member of this group, apparently, but forgive me for asking for help anyway. I am nearing 60, sustained a serious tibia plateau fracture nearly 4 years ago, have never regained the ability to walk without pain, have constantly had various degrees of swelling, numbness, and pain in my ankle and foot, have inability to walk without pain in the knee, have been not so good at the PT gig, have another condition that actually caused the accident, which caused the tibia plateau fracture, so that's my excuse for not giving this the full effort. I used to walk for miles nearly every day -- between 3.5 and 6 -- and miss that more than I can express.

What I want to know is, has anyone else had great trouble with their foot/ankle/numbness in foot? I also have snapping in the knee, also have complete deformity of knee from the metal, I would presume. I am scheduled for the metal to come out and then four months later a complete knee replacement. This was a serious tibia plateau fracture, as in the docs who look at the xrays say "this thing is trashed." I was actually unconscious and flooring the car, rigid from a grand mal seizure at the time I did this to myself. My husband had to steer us into a light pole to keep us from wiping out everyone around us. That's the other condition that has preoccupied me. I have slow growing but malignant brain tumor. I may live out a normal lifetime, with a bit of luck, and to do that, I would like to resume the use of my knee.

Please talk to me about the ankle thing, the recovery after the metal is taken out, etc.

im on week 9 after my accident, i have a plate 5 screws and bone graft on my tibial plateau fracture. i am still unable to fully straighten on bend my knee. Most the pain has gone now and ive started to partial weight bear with crutches. I just feel so useless as a single mom to my kids as i realy cant even do simple tasks. I cant see any light at the end of the tunnel and dont think ill ever walk again. Im just ready to give up now. Why cant there be a miracle cure, i realy cant stand the frustration and boredom anymore

Tibial Plateau Facture

This is a response to Heathers post. I did mine 9 weeks ago as well, have the plate, 5 pins and 3 screws. Doc says I am actually ahead of schedule and he said when this started he did not know if I would ever be as good as I am now. When I asked why I seem to be doing so well, he said good healer and great PT. Keep up the PT, the bike was the key for me getting my motion back 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes each with NO resistance, just kept sliding the seat in closer as I could to get the knee to bend.

I still get pain here and there, especially after adding weight. But that improves everyday. I know how you feel, having to help wtih everything. I missed 2 months of work and am just now back.

Keep up the PT and if neccessary try talking to a natural pathic doctor, there are some great supplements out there that help promote bone growth!

Hang in there, it will get better.

I broke my Tibial Plateau on September 11th. I am now 6 weeks out of surgery, 1 plate and 7 screws. My fracture was a type IV on the Schatzker Classifaction scale, which means it was a Medial Tibial Plateau Fracture. I race motocross on a pro-am level and snowboard a lot. I did this to myself when I was drunk at a party and jumped down some stairs, landed with my leg fully extended. I know shitty way to break it huh? My fracture seems to be healing particularly well. I was instantly at full ROM when the staples came out at 2 weeks post-op, so I'm pretty lucky it seems a lot of people have a hard time regaining ROM. Still some soreness around the knee, but I suspect that is normal from the deep bone bruising and the hardware. I go back to the doc in 2 weeks and should be partial weight bearing. Hopefully no soft tissue damage was done, doc said he is concerned about my acl, but so far all tests (lachman test) are negative for torn acl. Hopefully get the hardware removed in the summertime, really don't want to keep that stuff in there with racing motocross and all. I've broken bones before racing but this injury is a little different than the others I have incurred. This injury takes a lot of patience which unfortunately I don't have to much of, but I'm learning. Well that's about it, I got some photos of the hardware I'll be putting up too. I wish everyone a quick recovery!
    Last edited by Sketchy; 10-31-2011 at 09:15 PM.

8 week appt. tomorrow

I received my tibial plateau fracture with knee dislocation on Aug. 28. 2011. Arrived at the local e.r. And 30 minutes later was air lifted to Trauma hospital. I am a VI on the Schatzker scale. I was in surgery about 8 hours after arriving. They installed a external fixation brace which was held in by four large pins, two drilled in my shin bone and two drilled in my thigh bone. Stayed in hospital for three days. I was sent home and seven days later went back for surgery after swelling went down. I have two plates, one on each side and about ten or so screws. They removed the external bracket. I was sent home three days later. I had a lot of pain first two to three weeks. I have been non weight bearing the entire time. I have physical therapy two days a week. I can bend my knee 85 degrees at this time. My eight week appt. is tomorrow and I was told by my doctor that I need to be at 90 degrees by this visit or he will put me under and manually bend my knee to 90 or more. My question is, has anyone had that procedure done, and if so did it delay recovery?

Had my 8 week appt. today. I have full extension but only at 80 degrees bending. The Dr. said I have four more weeks to get past 90, he wants me at 110 or I will be put under and they will get me to where I need to be. I start weight bearing today, 25 percent first week, 50 percent second week, 75 percent third week and 100 percent on the fourth week. I still use crutches full time. I can leave my brace unlocked full time. I am nervous about weight bearing but thanks to this website I feel a lot more at ease. It has been great to hear everyone's story and experiences. I have never experienced anything close to this in my life but I am making the best of it. It's hard to stay motivated and not get down but I am trying my best to stay positive and work through the pain. I have great support from my family and friends, but as there lives go on I am stuck at home with limited abilities. I go back to the doc's in 4 weeks, I am going to work hard so I can get to the next step.

21 months

Hello all,

I am coming up on 21 months post surgery of a split depressed left lateral tibial plateu frac. Mine was basketball with a poor prognosis of return to normal activity or for that matter work. I was told I would never run, bike, ski, play basketball, or walk without a limp.

I was granted 16 weeks leave from my fire department with the understanding I would be let go if not back at the dead line. I started looking for jobs immediately.

At 15 weeks I returned to full duty. My left leg could not do the job and I knew that but I worked on my right leg througout therapy. I could get up off the floor with only using my right leg, no hands, no left leg at all. I was able to get through my agility test "faking it". For 3 minutes I walked without a limp to get through what I needed.

I started running around 20 weeks and at 9 months I ran a 7 mile off road race. at 10 months a tri, at 11 months the back bowls at copper mountain. At 14 returned to basketball and today can again dunk a basketball. I am 5'10 and come off that leg.

I still have all hardware and yes it's irratating but I've grown to trust it. I have daily swelling and soreness. I have stopped squating while lifting as it was just to painful.

I hope to all that have been told what you can't do just remember that at one point in life you couldn't walk. You had to learn. I absolutely don't do anything the way I used to nor can I. But I have adjusted to this leg, the new part of my tibia, screws, and plates.

jesse0307 that's encouraging! I did mine on Sept 4th of this year in a freak low speed dirt bike dump. Gotta a long way to go from what it looks like. I don't know where I am on the scale, but I imagine I'm in the VI range with needing a trauma surgeon, the number of screws, plates and all. Here's a snapshot of the full on x-ray from last week. Any comments and advice, I thank you in advance!

Jenny, if you haven't already found it, you may also want to check it this forum: It's UK-based but has folks posting from North America as well. I think you'd be likely to find some support & info from folks whose circumstances are similar to yours:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php

There are numerous areas on the site where people are discussing TPFs (use their search box to find them), but here's one of the main ones:
    http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=21.0

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by jennybbay View Post
    So I'm not the normal type of member of this group, apparently, but forgive me for asking for help anyway. I am nearing 60, sustained a serious tibia plateau fracture nearly 4 years ago, have never regained the ability to walk without pain...<snip>...Please talk to me about the ankle thing, the recovery after the metal is taken out, etc.

19 Months Post Operation

Summary:
    tibial plateau fracture and meniscus tear from snowboarding (landed on the knuckle) in March 2010, surgery day after accident - 2 screws
    27 year old athletic male, 6-1, 190

Recovery:
    Slower than most posts I've read to regain ROM. Never achieved full extension, best 130 flexion
    Persistent physical therapy as prescribed in addition I incorporated swimming every other day.
    Crutches for just under 2 months, cane for a few weeks

Post Op Condition Notes:
    Knee is still very stiff in the morning and anytime it is static for awhile like sitting at work, driving for over 45 mins, or standing for awhile.
    I still exercises and stretch at least 3 days a week.
    Atrophy in that quad is still apparent.
    I went snowboarding in March '11 (one year after accident) and while it was not painful my knee would not respond like it used to. I tried to push myself to ride like I used to but that cost me a dislocated shoulder.
    I am currently playing squash and have similar struggles where I try to move as fast as I am am used but the knee just doesn't react.
    I can run without pain, although I avoid it, but cannot sprint.
    I can't jump as high.
    I can mountain bike the same distance I used to but can no longer pedal through difficult uphill sections.

What I would say to help others:
    I wasn't fully prepared to expect the awful constipation that followed surgery. Either reduce the pain killers immediately or be prepared for some over the counter saline. Work on ROM early and diligently despite pain. Be cautious on wet floors with crutches.

Questions:
    I only have two screws and my current pain is in the back, middle of the joint, any thoughts of getting them removed? Before I had planned on leaving them in based on what the Doc said but after reading more I think the risk is justified for the potential benefit.
    Does anyone use a knee brace or band for sports?

Non-displaced TPF

Fractured my Left tibia at the plateau yesterday, 20111107. Some blood was drawn from the swollen joint. A CT scan showed no displacement. A small gap was evident at the top height of the fracture whereas the bottom appeared as a thin crack with no real gap evident. Two surgeons agreed that surgery would not affect the outcome at this time providing, I suppose, that the piece of bone doesn't travel and become displaced. My first check-up (X-ray) is a week hence.

I've been instructed to keep the joint immobilized with a splint (one of those wrap around things with Velcro closers) and stay off the leg for a minimum of six weeks at which time the rate of healing will be assessed, etc. I have crutches with which to hobble around my accommodation but the order was to stay off the joint as much as possible-no weight bearing.

I'm wondering if I have to wear the splint 7/24? I feel some relief in not wearing it while sitting at my desk, occasionally. Generally-speaking, I wear the unit while standing/walking with crutches and while sleeping, for the obvious reasons.

Does anyone have suggestions for other therapies to help speed recovery? I didn't get much out of the surgeons other than what I have already mentioned. Nothing about icing, elevating, no load exercising, etc. And, oddly, perhaps, they didn't offer a wheel chair if absolute no weight bearing was the order.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I'm still taking the meds, occasionally, for a little relief from the pain.

I'm very happy to have stumbled upon this forum and thread.

Yours in recovery,

goink