Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1935
    I'm 7 months post surgery and still have loss of sensation in my heel.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrou571 View Post
    Just wanted to know if anyone still has issues with there foot (tingling, loss of partial feeling, cant move baby toe) from nerve damage at one year since the TPF?

Date of Injury 5/23/12
    Date of Surgery 5/30/12
    Nondisplaced Fx Of The Patella
    2 - Fx's Tibial Shaft
    Comminuted 1" Depression Fx of Laterial Plateau Articular Surface
    Large Linear Longitudinal Fx Line Distally
    8mm Approx. Displaced In The Joint Space Lateral To The Intercondylar notch
    Longitudinal Fx Through The Medial Tibial Plateau

I have a question for those of you who are 6 months or more post surgery. I am having pain near the incision area when I walk that feels like a shin splint or worse. Has been going on for 2 days straight now. Any ideas as to why?

Date of Injury 5/23/12
    Date of Surgery 5/30/12
    Nondisplaced Fx Of The Patella
    2 - Fx's Tibial Shaft
    Comminuted 1" Depression Fx of Laterial Plateau Articular Surface
    Large Linear Longitudinal Fx Line Distally
    8mm Approx. Displaced In The Joint Space Lateral To The Intercondylar notch
    Longitudinal Fx Through The Medial Tibial Plateau

Saw the OS today for my 8 week (and 4 days) follow-up... and I'm excited to announce that I can start WBAT!! Wooot! I am to slowly start putting more and more weight onto the leg until I am FWB. I can also start open chained exercises / strengthening under the supervision of my PT.

In general, the surgeon was almost surprised at how well I've healed and at how much range of motion that I have (says I have almost all of it back). But, I have been working diligently at my physio exercises, doing everything I'm told to do.

I got to see the 3D CT Scan of my injury pre-op, and got to see my x-rays from today as well. Pics of both are on the facebook group I made.

Anyway, just felt like sharing my happy news. Sending everyone healing thoughts!!
    ----------------------------------------
    Type 2 TPF on 5 Nov 2012
    ORIF on 6 Nov 2012
    Discharge from Hospital 12 Nov 2012
    Zimmer discontinued & toe-touch WB started on 10 Dec 2012
    WBAT started on 10 Jan 2012

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com /groups /tibalplateaufractures (remove spaces in the url!!)

Had my last home physical therapy today - discharged to outpatient physical therapy which starts with an evaluation tomorrow. I suspect the hard work has just begun. Today I got to 0 to 100 ROM, up from 90 a week ago. And I "walked" about 200 feet partial weight bearing (35 pounds max although I think its more like touch down)... My knee feels like a sore Nerf ball after every walk -- mushy but sore and I am finally figuring out how long to ice and elevate to prevent the swelling from getting really bad. I figure the hardest work is yet to come ----
    I haven't tried ice for my swelling but instead have been using elevation and tubi grip elastic stocking which I find has worked well. Have been using a heat bag and massage while trying to increase my ROM plus exercises.
    Visited the physio on Thursday and have 125deg knee ROM off the street. Really pleased. She has now started massage on my ankle glide in anticipation of the moon boot coming off this Wednesday when i revisit my OS.
    FWB is getting better by the day. I purchase a gel heel insert which has helped with ankle pain. I can now get down the kitchen bench tops and around the table twice before I start feeling pain, this improves by a step or two daily. Knee pain so for has been virtually non existent and hopefully stays that way.
    Will keep working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markxz View Post
    I haven't tried ice for my swelling but instead have been using elevation and tubi grip elastic stocking which I find has worked well. Have been using a heat bag and massage while trying to increase my ROM plus exercises.
    Visited the physio on Thursday and have 125deg knee ROM off the street. Really pleased. She has now started massage on my ankle glide in anticipation of the moon boot coming off this Wednesday when i revisit my OS.
    FWB is getting better by the day. I purchase a gel heel insert which has helped with ankle pain. I can now get down the kitchen bench tops and around the table twice before I start feeling pain, this improves by a step or two daily. Knee pain so for has been virtually non existent and hopefully stays that way.
    Will keep working on it.
    Hey -- sounds great! and I think you are getting ahead of me LOL... Fabulous progress!!! All your work is paying off! And it is a real bonus that the pain has stayed at bay!!!

I'm going to try the elevation -- saw the Outpatient PT for the first time, got a new set of exercises to add to the existing ones -- at least at this point she does not believe that heat, ultra sound or any other modalities will be helpful... Oh well......we didn't discuss massage, a topic for the next session. Anyway, its a new phase and I suspect for me one that will be a bit more painful (which is ok so long as its part of the progress)... Today the PT asked me what were my goals were -- there was no hesitation when I answered full recovery -- keeping my focus and proceeding...

To everyone on this journey all your posting help and encourage me -- thanks!

I am almost 9 months post op and I don't know if any of you had to have 2 incisions (one on each side of knee) but If anyone has, I was wondering if you still or have numbness between them. It's been this long and my surgeon kept saying the feeling will come back but it still never has

thank you for the encouraging words kmrrdb, made me realize i needed to back off a bit. My sutureline is looking great now and nearly all the swelling is gone, only using a pill at night to help me sleep. Hope your doing well and finding progress

Quote Originally Posted by crystalteras View Post
    I am almost 9 months post op and I don't know if any of you had to have 2 incisions (one on each side of knee) but If anyone has, I was wondering if you still or have numbness between them. It's been this long and my surgeon kept saying the feeling will come back but it still never has
    I had 2 incisions on each side of my left knee with 2 plates and 12 screws installed, due to an auto accident, its been 11 weeks since my surgery, in 1 more week I will be PWB with 25% of my body weight. my leg is numb between the 2 incisions and on the left side of my leg right below the knee until about the mid section. My surgeon says it will come back but will take some time. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crystalteras View Post
    I am at about 5 1/2 months post op and, yes, still numb between the incisions. Everyone keeps telling me it will come back as well. I think it is the signature of the Type 5 or 6 of this injury. It is the strangest feeling to just kneel down on the floor. I kneel on the floor to stretch the knee and help my flexion. I remember after surgery, in the splint for two weeks, thinking that they must have put a hard splint, plastic or something on my leg because when I tapped that section of the leg I couldn't feel anything. I was a little surprised when they took the bandages off and there was nothing but a numb leg. My doctor said it may, or may not, come back. My PT and my massage therapist both said it should come back anywhere from 6 to 12 months +/-. I know that if my massage therapist works the top of my medial scar there is definitely a nerve in there that extends across the shin to the lateral side of my leg. Of course, I would prefer feeling to feeling nerve pain. I can walk, I can ride a bike, I can walk for a few miles and things are getting sloooooooowly better but, yes, it would be nice to feel my shin again. I have to be very aware of coffee tables and any other shin high items around the house. Please let me know if/when yours comes back.

I recently shattered my tibia plateau and it was very bad, im just a week out of surgery, lots of pain, no weight, no bending. Its going to be long for me considering I am extremely active. A kid cut out from a trail while skiing, completely outta control, took a ski boot to the knee! if i didnt carve left he woulda been dead, I was steaminnnnn down the slope. Worst thing Im experiencing right now is the achiiles tendon/calf tenderness and tightness. Anyone else suffer from that? any way to reverse the tightness? any help would be great!

OK -- definitely overdid the exercising today -- paying for it with both swelling and soreness (a lot).... seems so difficult to gauge that line between pushing to improve and pushing too hard ... I'm going to limit the exercises tonight and have been elevated and icing...

Anyone have any suggestions for how to sense the line between pushing and pushing too hard.....

Hi there.... the line is very elusive. I'm 1.5 years out from my surgery and still gauging.

Had been doing really really well for the last couple of months so thought I would push a bit and return to dancing (couples). Didn`t work so well. Felt fine at the time but then worked out at the gym - a very light work out and it seems to have pushed it just a bit too far. Disappointed to be experiencing pain again.

Realized I need to be patient and keep doing the basics to strenghthen my knee. The dancing may need to wait a little longer .

OK -- definitely overdid the exercising today -- paying for it with both swelling and soreness (a lot).... seems so difficult to gauge that line between pushing to improve and pushing too hard ... I'm going to limit the exercises tonight and have been elevated and icing...

Anyone have any suggestions for how to sense the line between pushing and pushing too hard.....
    I have mainly stuck to the exercise that the physio gave me. There are times when I have pushed to hard and had the same result as you with swelling and pain. The next day after elevation and a nights rest swelling and pain seem to settle down again.If it is particularly bad on a certain day I might take paracetamol before bed.
    I visited my Physio again today. Have 130 deg ROM on my knee now off the street, really not far to go before I have full range, but apparently the last little bit is the hardest. She started working on my calf muscle with a massage and flexing my ankle whilst lying face down on the table with ankle hanging over the end.
    FWB is going ok, I have a lot less ankle pain and can get around most of the house unaided including the steps. Will be interesting to see if it is as easy without the moon boot.
    Get well all.

Quote Originally Posted by Markxz View Post
    I have mainly stuck to the exercise that the physio gave me. There are times when I have pushed to hard and had the same result as you with swelling and pain. The next day after elevation and a nights rest swelling and pain seem to settle down again.If it is particularly bad on a certain day I might take paracetamol before bed.
    I visited my Physio again today. Have 130 deg ROM on my knee now off the street, really not far to go before I have full range, but apparently the last little bit is the hardest. She started working on my calf muscle with a massage and flexing my ankle whilst lying face down on the table with ankle hanging over the end.
    FWB is going ok, I have a lot less ankle pain and can get around most of the house unaided including the steps. Will be interesting to see if it is as easy without the moon boot.
    Get well all.
    I have physical therapy tomorrow -- on Tuesday I was at 115 ROM -- but with the new exercises I am feeling a lot more muscle stiffness. Still not FWB so mainly concentrating on strengthening muscles and flexibility. Still having swelling and increased discomfit as the day progresses. I have emailed to see if there is anything i should be doing - aside from ice, elevate etc. Hoping to be FWB on Feb 7 when I see the surgeon next... Until then, keeping up on ROM and other exercises.

Hope the removal of the moon boot is easy.

Aughgh! I broke me TP and had surgery two weeks ago. I was in the hospital for a couple days and then had to make it home. I am trying to get into PT but waiting for insurance and figuring out where I can go is almost more painful than the injury! I was hoping someone might give me a good place to start until I can get it and start PT. I know it's not much since I'm non-weight bearing for an eternity. I ended up with 7 screws and a plate. I tore my meniscus in half (basically, it's a bucket tear) that took 24 stitches to repair and they managed to find most of the cartilage that got smashed down into my tibia about an inch and piece it back in place. ACL and MCL escaped unharmed (whoo hoo). I would be grateful for Any PT ideas while I wait to get into someplace. I'm loosing muscles and my mind.
    Thanks!

Scarr78, I had displaced TPF with torn meniscus as well. Mine does not appear as bad as yours as my meniscus was still intact. I do have 1 plate and 4 screws. My Ortho did not want any PT for first 3 weeks. He preferred that my incision heal as much as possible before I started PT. I would say talk to your doctor for mild exercise, leg lifts etc. When you start PT they will recommend more home exercises. I am 4 1/2 months out. Walking without cane, up and down stairs and still in PT 3x per week, Its a long process but will get better every week. I still see improvement every week. Just dont over do it.

so how long til your incision was strong enough to start pt? i know you mentioned dragging abit on the sutureline...

Thanks kmrrdb. I know this will be a long process I guess I need to just let it heal : ( the thought of 8 weeks non weight bearing is is just tough and u really want some muscle left it's disappearing so fast. Do people have to use a cane after they get off crutches? Also how long did people find they needed percocete or strong meds before they were ok with Advil or OTC Meds? Thanks.

i believe that how far you push yourself depends on how fast you heal. as long as you can bring it down before it's time to push it again

Scarr78: I'm 8 weeks out. Torn mcl, as well as the tibial plateau fracture, with a 1 cm depression of the tibia. One bone graft, one plate and six screws later, I'm still non-weight bearing. At my 7 week appointment last week, the surgeon gave me another 6 weeks of no weight bearing. He finally gave orders for pt, but only for very light ROM for the knee. The last 8 weeks have sucked. I've been in a zimmer splint up until my appointment last week (although I'm still wearing it while sleeping, and if/when I go out). Over the last few weeks, the splint has been getting a bit bigger and bigger, which the dr attributes to muscle loss. Again, it sucks. I'd say if you haven't got orders for pt or exercises, to hold off. I want to do more to help and prevent any future loss of muscle, but this injury is bad enough on its own, and don't want to do more damage by doing something I shouldn't. Good luck!

Shmoopie, Wow! That is a lot of non weight bearing time, I'm so sorry. Why did your surgeon want you to wait the additional time? My surgeon gave me a script for PT right away I was just struggling with finding in network and all that HMO jazz. I can't do much but I can do leg lifts, ankle flexion, hip movements and very small ROM. Nothing with weight bearing of course. Good luck and I hope we all heal quickly.

Scarr78: My surgeon is a bit conservative, but he said due to the depression and bone graft, he wanted me non-weight bearing for the full 12 weeks. He told me before surgery I'd wouldn't be weight bearing for 12 weeks. I went to my appointment full of hope last week, and he crushed my dreams. I started with ROM this week (yesterday). I won't start actually going to physio until I'm partial weight bearing (only 5 more weeks to go)! The surgeon will also check the mcl on my next appointment to see how it's healing. I've never broken a bone in my life, and having this injury is not how I anticipated spending my winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoopie View Post
    Scarr78: My surgeon is a bit conservative, but he said due to the depression and bone graft, he wanted me non-weight bearing for the full 12 weeks. He told me before surgery I'd wouldn't be weight bearing for 12 weeks. I went to my appointment full of hope last week, and he crushed my dreams. I started with ROM this week (yesterday). I won't start actually going to physio until I'm partial weight bearing (only 5 more weeks to go)! The surgeon will also check the mcl on my next appointment to see how it's healing. I've never broken a bone in my life, and having this injury is not how I anticipated spending my winter!
    It's a long wait .... I am 10 weeks out, started PWB at 8 weeks. My partial weight bearing is no more than 35 pounds of pressure. It's more than toe touch but no where near walking. It's really hard to figure out how much.... Even when you push on a scale until it registers 35 pounds, it's difficult to figure that same feeling out on crutches or a walker. So, it's really good to know that I can put my foot down a little but not so useful. I am hoping that FWB will make it easier to push forward without thinking that I might do damage. Hang in there the time will pass... The ROM work now will help a lot down the road.

Thank's. this forum is awesome because it really does help with what to expect from people who have gone through it and are getting through it but it also sucks because it shows what to expect : ) just cleared the Two week mark and I'm waiting for the pain to get better. I'm off most meds but I still need a couple percocete a day to be ok.

Justathought, are you still in a leg brace? and if so is it still locked on 0-0 now that you are able to put some weight on you leg?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarr78 View Post
    Thank's. this forum is awesome because it really does help with what to expect from people who have gone through it and are getting through it but it also sucks because it shows what to expect : ) just cleared the Two week mark and I'm waiting for the pain to get better. I'm off most meds but I still need a couple percocete a day to be ok.

Justathought, are you still in a leg brace? and if so is it still locked on 0-0 now that you are able to put some weight on you leg?
    Scarr -- I am out of my leg brace (thank goodness, although it was really scary without it the first few days). I can use it for walking if I want - unlocked or set as I want - but i have not used it yet. At PWB I really am not putting much weight on the leg and I find that I do not need the brace. I will see what happens once I switch to FWB. I do find that weight bearing definitely has increased the swelling, which I thought I was past, and that hurts. I need to remember to ice and elevate on a more regular basis. On the pain side, i was really lucky, I was on pain meds (dilauldid) for about three days after surgery and then only tylenol - occasionally using a pain killer before therapy. Even now, with PWB I am only using tylenol occassionally. I do think it is important to keep the pain under control, if its too bad it interferes with healing - and pain differs deoending on the kind of TPF and surgery and stage of recovery.